What's new

Get your own HDS tool?

ddinchev

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 i-CTDi EX
I have an ELM327 reader that maybe is no good except for reading some general info from the ECU. Now that I started a thread about a problem I have, I get a lots of "you need HDS logs". So I checked on ebay, and there are different devices ranging from 30 to 150 pounds, that claim to be "Honda HDS tool". Are they any good, would you recommend buying any of them? Few examples:
17.45 GBP: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDS-cable-OBD2-Diagnostic-Cable-Support-Hon-da-OEM-Diagnostic-Software-with-ARM-/321249006856?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4acbeed508
53 GBP: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MVCI-TOYOTA-TIS-HONDA-HDS-VOLVO-DICE-/170820658110?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item27c5b463be
85GBP: Claims to be "the HDS" http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-honda-acura-diagnostic-tool-HIM-HDS-auto-scanner-free-shipping-fast-deliver-/321168445598?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4ac721909e

Is any of those actually an "HDS" I could use to see if for example injectors are over-fueling? Having in mind right now because of my smoking engine issue I'm considering spending few hundred GBP just for diagnostics and probably changes of few healthy components, 85 GBP for tool I could use to diagnose some things myself seem like a really good deal.

Only that last link looks anything like an HDS (which needs the Honda Interface Module to actually connect to the car). I've no idea what the first two things are! But even that last one isn't genuine... real ones cost much, much more. It'll be a 'Chinese clone'. The problem with buying a non-genuine thing is that some will be a decent copy and therefore work OK, but others will be pants.

A former TA member of my aquaintance bought a cheap-ish (c. 100 GBP, plus import duty) HDS/HIM from eBay and it works great. But another website recently had a thread where someone appeared to have 'bricked' their ECU by using a cheap one.

So a bit of a risk, really.

There are few between 85 and 150 but they are all the same exact one that I paste for 85 GBP. I could expect a real genuine tool to cost many times more but at least the one from 85 GBP has few customer ratings that say they bought exactly the Honda HDS and it works "fabulous". I might risk getting that one if there aren't other opinions against...

what do you need a 'real' hds for ? a elm one should do most people, i mean if you got big problems that cant be read by that it needs to go to a garage anyway.

but what Jon said is right, be weary of cheapo ones, good chance of doing more harm than good.

what do you need a 'real' hds for ? a elm one should do most people, i mean if you got big problems that cant be read by that it needs to go to a garage anyway.

but what Jon said is right, be weary of cheapo ones, good chance of doing more harm than good.
Even if your car is not showing a fault the HDS tool can still highlight issues like injectors running lean etc. Fahad recently read my car using his HDS tool and we concluded the manifold was leaking.

diesels have alot of issues, so might be good for them cars alright in retrospective.
Useful for all models... will read all error codes, including VSA/ABS. So much more than just an OBD2 reader as it allows the operator to send instruction to the ECU, so the vehicle responses can be checked. Brian (Freddofrog) showed me his controlling his K24 cam advance settings to check out the VTEC functions.

all well and good but nothing more than a novelty toy to me tbh, got an elm reader. if anything did manage to happen to my car that reader couldn't pick up i would just take to a garage.