What's new

Battey Replacement

Osiris

Members
Reaction score
Car
CM2 - Type S
I need to buy a new battery for my 04 Type S Tourer - I suspect the current one is factory original (Honda Branded Delphi Battery) and I managed to run it flat the other day just with the radio and sidelights on for 25 minutes and starting it up in the recent cooler weather it feels like it is struggling a bit.

So - considering the battery is pathetically small to begin with, does anyone have any recommendation for a good replacement or have any advise on what to look for in a new unit? I've thinking about getting this Yuasa unit from Halfords;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_734751_langId_-1_categoryId_165762#tab1

It seems quite pricey but has a 5 Year warranty which is good. hte Startup power also seems higher that the Halfords own brand calcium and Lead acid options.

Any advise welcome!

Cheers,
Tom

A Honda one from Holdcroft Honda in Stoke will be a fair bit cheaper delivered. Ring parts & say you are a TA member and you get a discount.

As Cliff said give HH a call for a great deal and free delivery.

They quoted me a VERY good price for a genuine one but I was in a hurry and found a Varta. I will use them for my servicing bits and if I ever need another battery in the future. I can't believe how small they are as well given all the electrics the car has. Not many places sell the correct ones off the shelf though, the one you've linked from Halfords has the terminals the wrong way around cos I looked at that one myself. Unless yours is different to mine?

Osiris the honda battery will do you no good and for the price you pay for it including fitting at a dealer you better of getting one of these and fitting yourself, easy.

My honda died on me a few times last month so i decided to go for a 'silver' battery 5yr gurantee, it was either going to be yuasa 12v hsb075 or bosch 12v hsb075. I went for bosch, got it from halfords by getting price match from euroautoparts reduced for £77, bargain! Fitted it myself, this battery is perfect for all my gadgets, satnav, music player, bluetooth and other gizmos. I believe it will definitely last 5 years & will have no problem with cold starts unlike the honda. Also if it does die just before its supposed to halfords will replace it.

Hope this helps, if you got alot of gizmos in your car & worried about cold starts you cant wrong with these 2 batteries.

Thanks! I was sceptical about just getting another Honda battery anyway, hence why I was looking at the yuasa originally. I'm happy enough changing it myself so i'll shop around and see if I can find it for a better price.

Also, thanks for the advise on the terminals rich, I will double check this before buying.

Tom

I was very happy to buy a Honda battery for my 2005 diesel Accord mainly because the original one had lasted well for 8 years. The specs are excellent and - when I bought one from HH - it was almost half the price (£49 delivered) of the equivalent Bosch battery from ECP (even though I had a discount code).

Osiris the honda battery will do you no good and for the price you pay for it including fitting at a dealer you better of getting one of these and fitting yourself, easy.

My honda died on me a few times last month so i decided to go for a 'silver' battery 5yr gurantee, it was either going to be yuasa 12v hsb075 or bosch 12v hsb075. I went for bosch, got it from halfords by getting price match from euroautoparts reduced for £77, bargain! Fitted it myself, this battery is perfect for all my gadgets, satnav, music player, bluetooth and other gizmos. I believe it will definitely last 5 years & will have no problem with cold starts unlike the honda. Also if it does die just before its supposed to halfords will replace it.

Hope this helps, if you got alot of gizmos in your car & worried about cold starts you cant wrong with these 2 batteries.
When did you buy your battery can't find on euroautoparts same battery £99 at halfords was hoping to get price match like yourself , I totally agree about the Honda battery's I'm lucky to get a yr out of them, I also bought from HH and same outcome to many electrics and non stop engine starts with the car been a taxi and I have 3 drivers on it.

Thanks! I was sceptical about just getting another Honda battery anyway, hence why I was looking at the yuasa originally. I'm happy enough changing it myself so i'll shop around and see if I can find it for a better price.

Also, thanks for the advise on the terminals rich, I will double check this before buying.

Tom
Let us know if u find cheaper than halfords can't find it cheaper myself

What rating should the battery be for the 2.4? I took mine out last night to give it a proper charge (the new one is going in today) and it's only 40Ah!! The new one is 45Ah but even that seems too small TBH.

This is the one I got - http://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-049-Varta-Asia-Car-Battery-P3207.html

Used the code PRO2010 for 5% off :)

Unless I am misreading- you can get it much cheaper here.

http://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-60ah-620a-silver-car-battery-ybx5075-hsb075-8590-p.asp

Tom

Unless I am misreading- you can get it much cheaper here.

http://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-60ah-620a-silver-car-battery-ybx5075-hsb075-8590-p.asp

Tom

It's the wrong size physically (so is the Halfords one now I've looked at it properly) and the terminals are the wrong way around.

What code is on the battery you have now?

It's the wrong size physically (so is the Halfords one now I've looked at it properly) and the terminals are the wrong way around.

What code is on the battery you have now?
The Yuasa battery you want is the Yuasa 12V Silver Car Battery HSB096 this should fit correctly

Sorry been a bit busy getting back to you Tom. I had a look for it at eurocarparts too, seems as if they don't to sell it anymore, must be out of stock. You guys are right it does not fit 'properly' within the space for the battery, its slightly deeper but hey ho mines was a mission to put in but got there at the end. I have added pics here to show the discount i got and show it fitted on my car in case you guys have doubts. Also needs turn around to fit to correct terminals, apart from the bosch logo being upside down which is a no big deal it looks good within your bonnet and is a powerful battery you can trust.

408213954.jpg
[/img]
408213959.jpg
[/img]
408213997.jpg
[/img]

Thanks again for the replies guys. I haven't had chance to check my car as i've been in a pool car from work last couple of days. I'll double check current battery when I get back to my car this weekend.

Good to see that spinning the battery 180 degrees is doable. The Yuasa HSB096 RhinoGolf suggested still seems to have the terminals back to front.

Tom

Thanks again for the replies guys. I haven't had chance to check my car as i've been in a pool car from work last couple of days. I'll double check current battery when I get back to my car this weekend.

Good to see that spinning the battery 180 degrees is doable. The Yuasa HSB096 RhinoGolf suggested still seems to have the terminals back to front.

Tom

Thats a bigger battery, you will probably will definitely struggle to fit that in mate! 80ah, powerful though, hence price.

To Clarify - My Current Battery is a Honda Branded one with the code 31500-st3-100 he.

My Main concern at the moment is dimensions as there doesn't look to be much flexibility space wise. I didn't think it would be this hard.....

Cheers,
Tom

The terminals will always be wrong way round you need the red terminal on the right front, then the battery is turned round when fitting because of the length of the cables look at the Bosch battery photo above that battery has the dimensions as the one I suggested and had to be fitted wrong way round, but they don't sell them at halfords any more, that battery will be fine in your car.and So would the yuasa it goes in back to front, but cost more unless they price match

My only concern with fitting it the wrong way around it you may be stretching the cables, especially the positive one.

I take it you have to remove the plastic bottom tray to fit that Bosch battery?

I fitted mine yesterday, car starts like a dream now and it's got a 4 year warranty. Not bad for £48 :)

post-438-0-21536400-1385719253_thumb.jpg

The old one looked done!

post-438-0-22451600-1385719257_thumb.jpg

just asking, how fast starts you car after you turn the key...i mean it;s start right away after spin the key or the starter spin little longer (1 or 2 sec) until the engine start!

I eventually ordered the Varta B34 pictured above. Received it yesterday, but haven't had chance to fit it yet. Typically, I leave for work today and the damn car won't start :mad: . Sods law i guess.

Anyway, i'll swap it over tonight and see how it does.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Tom

just asking, how fast starts you car after you turn the key...i mean it;s start right away after spin the key or the starter spin little longer (1 or 2 sec) until the engine start!

Mine is starting within 1 to 2 seconds.

Mine is immediate when warmed up, or a couple of seconds cold. First thing at minus temperatures can take slightly longer.

EDIT: sorry, I now see the question was about the 2.0 petrol.

it's all right Jon, yes Rich, mine is the same...i just wonder why it's not starting immediately like vw,audi,etc..you know when you spin the key in ignition and you are at start position the engine is running not like ours, you wait for the starter to move his *** :mad: !

So can anybody tell me what the oem ratings are? The bosch that fits my cl7 is rated 45amp 330cca. But thinking I should squeeze the larger one in for better power, think the next one up is 65amp and 680cca

Wat do u recon?

£40.75 DELIVERED FROM hh, FOR MY 2.2 TOURER. My lad paid £124 for a yausu for his peugeot from Halfrauds. I know were my next one will be coming from as well.