What's new

Low beam projector lens cracked

Bobjacqs

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2006
Hi All,

The low beam headlight lenses in my car have both cracked. Not at the same time but within a year. I replaced the whole unit on one side at vast expense but now I see the other side has cracked.

I have Halfords Advanced Extra Brilliance Xenon lights installed and wonder whether they are the cause. Any ideas?

I've attached a photo.
gg3NqCC.jpg

Bob

Welcome to the forum Bob. I've not seen this ever before on here :unsure: .

Did the car have factory fitted HIDs or have you retro fitted HIDs in Halogen lenses?

These are pretty tough lens and given the location of the crack, it could be ***ociated with excess heat. However, I note from a search that Halfords Advanced Extra Brilliance Xenon are rates at 12v and 55W. As such the same current sink and heat should exist. Now they burn brighter and a little hotter, but I'm surprised that the lens actually cracked. FWIW, I have OSRAM Nightbreakers in my car with the same +90 output with no issue.

Out of curiosity, is there yellowing on your lens?

never seen this before, welcome to the site.

I'm with Jason, heat exposure maybe

Also are the headlamps themself genuine Honda ones?
You mentioned you replaced the lamps at expense, could be expense to you but quids in for the place that sold you cheap lamps.

Thanks for your fast reply. To be quite honest I don't know. I went into Halfords and bought the extreme brilliance blubs. I haven't changed anything else and can't remember what was in there before. Whatever it was it was not as bright though. Bob.

Also are the headlamps themself genuine Honda ones?
You mentioned you replaced the lamps at expense, could be expense to you but quids in for the place that sold you cheap lamps.

Not sure. I was involved in a front end collision a few years back and the car was repaired. I don't know if they used genuine lights or not. Will try to find out. Undoubtedly there should be markings on the light units to indicate whether they are genuine or not. Will report back when I do find out.
Bob

These are pretty tough lens and given the location of the crack, it could be ***ociated with excess heat. However, I note from a search that Halfords Advanced Extra Brilliance Xenon are rates at 12v and 55W. As such the same current sink and heat should exist. Now they burn brighter and a little hotter, but I'm surprised that the lens actually cracked. FWIW, I have OSRAM Nightbreakers in my car with the same +90 output with no issue.

Out of curiosity, is there yellowing on your lens?

No there's not yellowing, just a dirty light. The photo shows the light unit I replaced and the photo was taken out of the car.
Bob

Not sure. I was involved in a front end collision a few years back and the car was repaired. I don't know if they used genuine lights or not. Will try to find out. Undoubtedly there should be markings on the light units to indicate whether they are genuine or not. Will report back when I do find out.
Bob

I'd put money on them not being genuine, as they've both cracked in the same way.