Double Din Custom build

shab_the_man

Iron Man
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Accord 05 Exec cdti
Hello Everyone

Browsing youtube and found this double din install video where the user cuts out the original stereo. Not sure how good this would be but thought I would post it to see if anyone had any ideas from it.

Hi TypeR, I know it's from January, but... In my previous car (megane II) I installed modified and build by me unit, which was 7" android tablet. If I'd like to install it in accord, I'd have to remove PSS and have standard unit installed first (as with tablet there is no way to control cc), and install it just below. Anyway if anyone is interested, it could give you some idea to start with ;) Below description from my post on megane forum- I'm trying to sell it there :)

After using stock cd player for 3 months I decided to replace it for something better. I searched for 2din units but nearly all of them were running Windows CE6.0 with very low specs (slow processor, low memory etc), there were also few running Android but they were overpriced in most cases. I decided to do something on my own. I bought 7" Android tablet LINK, specification below:
Screen Size: 7"
Screen resolution: 800*480
Touch screen type: Resistive
O/S: Android 2.3
GPS chip: SiRF Star IV
CPU: All winner A10 Processor + Mail 400 GPU, 1GHz frequancy, up to 1.5GHz max
RAM: 512MB DDR2
Internal memory: 8GB
External memory: Micro SD card up to 32GB (not included)
WiFi: 802.11 b/g
File format compatibility
Picture format: jpg/bmp/png/tiff/gif
Video format: avi/mp4/rmvb/rm/flv/mov/mpg/mpeg/mkv/asf/wmv/ (more format supported via 3th party player such as rockplayer)
Audio Format: mp3/wav/ac3/aac/ogg /ra/amr/m4a/wma
Battery
Battery capacity mAh: 1500mAh
Charging time: 4hr
Working time: 2hours
Language: Norwegian, Denish, Italian, Finnish, Czech, Polish, Greece, Turkish, Thailand, Romanian, Arabic, French, German, Spanish, Holland, Hungarian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish
Dimensions: 133.70(L)* 83.80(W)* 12.20(H) mm
I was running Sygic Mobile sat nav on it, also TomTom for android, playing music, videos, surfing on web using wifi...
I also got spare dashboard trim and service socket cover, that was the hardest part- had to cut it, sand it, trim it, polish it, then used polymer filler to make frame around, so tablet fits exactly in it. I sticked pearl black bubble free car vinyl on dashboard trim. Tablet was connected to factory unit (hidden behind the tablet) using aux input, I extedned usb socket on tablet to have connection outside, also soldered external power/screen on/off switch to tablet and another one on head unit. I kept some steering controls (like volume, mute, changing sound source between tuner/aux), because using factory head unit (mainly because no need for additional amplifier). There is no battery inside of tablet (a couple chargers could not charge it due to high battery drain), so using step down module inverter I connected it directly to battery connections on mainboard, voltage set to 3.8V 24hrs/7days a week, so it was showing full battery all time, car battery never went flat, even after 5 days, when I did not used car, tablet was in stand by mode having power all the time, connected to +12V from head unit wires.

So this is how it was working, to give you some look at it. If you feel you have some soldering skills and some knowledge you can install it in your car.
I'm selling Tablet with extended wires, power inverter (step down module), made to fit dashboard trim and also made by me tablet bracket (holds it in place).
I'm not providing any support or advice, you can see how I made it, so it makes you way to do it on your own.
I'd like to sell it- £100 for this set.
New tablet on its own costs around £100 from China, but I put alot of work in it over 6 weeks, so you have it all ready :) If anyone would like to buy it, I will make an ebay listing for safety reasons :) and we can finish transaction that way. Postage from East Cornwall using 24 hrs courier, insured and signed for.

Here you have some photos taken during modding, final look and what I'm selling now. It's an album on dropbox.com. Don't know why I can not add photos to my post.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/h1p0djezx4g2nb3/6Wv42pNngI

Best regards

I could do it within 10-12 hours of work, but it took me nearly two months lol mainly because not much time due to my job and my little son :) Also at some points I had to make some changes and order another small bits to get it done... For example- first I painted it in black matte, but I didn't like it so I bought vinyl (anyway spent another extra time). Nice to see you like it :)
Btw I closed the total bill at £180. It was nearly 3 years ago, I think I got it done really cheap ;)

I really want to upgrade the standard headunit in my car but struggling to figure out how to do it because the display for my dual zone cc is on the same screen... even if it was just a single DIN I'd be happy.

Wing - was there much work needed in doing that double din mod and does the top still work to be able to see fan speed and temp?