What's new

Honda ball joint snapped! !

murphy_sy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 icdti
On new years eve the missis and the kids were heading home when the bottom ball joint snapped yes snapped and it was a genuine honda one only 5 months old and about 5000 miles traveled on it. It snapped just beneath the ball of the joint not even the narrowest part of the ball joint. Its caused quite a bit of damage as you can imagine drive shaft, tyre, wheel, wing, and the gearbox oil bled out after the drive shaft got ripped out! Hopefully hear from honda tomorrow to find out if there going to pay for the damage caused.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this before? Ive taken the snapped ball joint to my local garage and they havent.

Has been another case on here of a total ball joint failure, but it was an old joint from what I remember. Made the wheel bounce into completely the wrong place and damaged the bodywork around the wing, and other internal stuff too. Proper savage part to go. Hopefully Honda will honour this as the part was OEM.

Saw one just a few weeks back at my mates garage, but it was a taxi and had a non genuine part on..quite common actually

I've seen the ball part come away before but never seen one snap like this.
Ye am hoping that honda will honour this as well. Could have been alot worse if the missis hadn't been able to keep the car under control.

Did Honda fit the ball joint or local place? I'm finding it hard to believe any motor company would stand over something like this??

I do hope it works out for you though.... ;)

All honda are willing to replace is the ball joint! Not happy at all, no word about the rest of the damage.
Am going to see citizens advice and see what they say.

Happened to me last year mate on a roundabout , S*** myself , wheel tucked under and only really damaged the wing a bit which I pulled back into shape , good job I was going pretty slow wouldn't of like to have thought what would of happened if it was at speed :eek:

Ball joint snapped in half for me too on Boxing Day night just 100 yards from home. Wheel was dragged back into the wing ripping the driveshaft out.
However, due to living in a small cul-de-sac and the drive being down another cul-de-sac, there was no way we could get the car back onto the drive so had to let the breakdown people take my car to fix
The breakdown chap reckoned it's a common fault on the accords?

Crikey, this seems like a serious safety issue to me, I would contact VOSA immediately. What if this happened to someone at high speed on a motorway? Take pictures and tweet them to as many interested parties as you can find. Will it take a death for someone to sit up and take notice. BTW is this common on Diesel or Petrol or both? Wonder if it's related to heavier diesel engines/powertrain or over tightened nuts in some way?

Could you please let us know vehicle model, year, mileage and petrol or diesels will be helpful for others many thanks

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Ball joints usually don't just snap, they wear.

You would normally hear a groaning noise coming from the steering for a considerable time before a complete failure. This would obviously alert you that somethings not quite right. They do wear on Accords, I replaced two on my ATR in quick succession. Part and parcel of motoring along with consciously maintaining your car.

I agree they would 'normally' wear, you would get some rough feeling maybe looseness and click/knock over rough surface. I hired a transit many years ago they gave me one with a knocking noise I discovered when on the M4! when I checked underneath with someone shake the steering it was clearly the ball joint lower arm wobbling but didn't snap on me.

I realised this is a slightly older post after posting my last comment, oops. but could be relevant.

Previous posts reported sudden snapping it seemed so my brain went into overdrive.

I didn't think Honda sold the ball joint separately and you had to buy a new knuckle with it already in? Or do they only change them if they do the job themselves?

Honda sell the Diesel ball joint separately, its not cheap and I have heard other people talk about the genuine parts being very weak, so much so that aftermarket are preferred to the genuine part in this case.
Probably the only time I have heard it said about OEM parts but here is proof.

Bounder said:
Honda sell the Diesel ball joint separately, its not cheap and I have heard other people talk about the genuine parts being very weak, so much so that aftermarket are preferred to the genuine part in this case.
Probably the only time I have heard it said about OEM parts but here is proof.
Dyo know I was thinking the same, wonder if in this case an after market would be stronger such as Blueprint, FAI, Lemforder etc etc. They have more of an ar5e to cover if things go wrong vs Honda with big boy lawyers.........

I think this may be true in this case, I talked to the parts guy in my Local Honda dealer and he quoted me genuine balljoint @ €145+Vat but Mister-Auto has Febi Bilstein for 32 inclusive at the moment.
I can't see a genuine one going on my wagon when the time comes given the propensity of the genuine one to fail.
linky
https://hondakarma.com/threads/aftermarket-ball-joint.19106/live