8mm socket / ring key
10mm socket
Screwdriver

Optional tools:
Torch
Mini Vac / Car Vac

1 ) Open glove box and remove the two screws near the catch

DSCF1765.jpg

2 ) Go to the bottom of the plastic fascia and pull outwards as indicated in the photo, the fascia is held on with clips.

DSCF1766.jpg

Plastic fascia

DSCF1767.jpg

3 ) Remove two 8mm bolts on left-hand side of metal bar supporting glove box

DSCF1769.jpg

4 ) Remove the two 8mm bolts on the right-hand side of the metal bar supporting glove box

DSCF1770.jpg

5 ) Remove 8mm bolt at bottom of glove box housing and lift glove box out

DSCF1771.jpg

6a ) Un-connect loom connector (indicated) you may need to un-connect other loom connectors, depending on individual layout
6b ) Remove 8mm bolt holding bottom bracing bar on right hand side
6c ) Remove 10mm bolt holding bottom bracing bar on left hand side
6d ) There are two other 8mm bolts to the left out of shot of the picture, remove the top one and loosen the bottom one, the idea is to manoeuvre the mental bracing bar upwards until you can get it clear of the plastic lip to the right, then bring it back down.
6e) The cabin filter is behind this protective lid, there is a release clip at the bottom, release the clip pulling towards you and then un-hook from the top lip.

DSCF1772.jpg

7 ) You should now see the filter and you just need to slide it out, making sure the cable is not in the way.

8 ) Once the filter is removed clear any leaves or seeds that have accumulated in the matrix floor, I used a vac and an old spoke to get all the ash seeds out, but be careful of the heater matrix on the right-hand side.

DSCF1773.jpg

9 ) Put new filter in, being aware of which way around it goes, you should find that it is keyed so you can only get it in one way. (indicated on pic)

DSCF1774.jpg

10 ) Refit filter lid

Put everything back in reverse order and that's it done!

Excellent write up!!

Just a little addition, maybe;

5b: Be aware of glovebox bulb and wire connected at top right hand side as you remove glovebox unit??

Andy

Excellent write up!!

Just a little addition, maybe;

5b: Be aware of glovebox bulb and wire connected at top right hand side as you remove glovebox unit??

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Our 6th Gen is just a basic 1.8s so doesn't have the glove box light, so excellent point made for those with a higher spec

Cheers

Carl

No probs Carl,

Sorry was unaware it wasn't available in that spec......I nearly ripped mine off when I took the glovebox out lol :lol:

cheers

Andy

Brilliant write-up.

A real P.I.T.A. of a job, caused by lazy design.

Haynes recommend disconnecting the battery and the airbag connector (blue and yellow at top right in 7th pic.) first to avoid risk of airbag going off by accident.

Thats a good point. I also disconnected the battery incase I had an airbag issue (not sure if that would have happened, but just done it anyway)

I was able to push down the cable when the centre loom was disconnected. Pulling that blue plug apart was a real PITA, however it could be bad technique on my behalf lol.

With that centre loom cable seperated, I was just able to push it down enough to slip the filter in over the top. I did loosen off the bolts mentioned as 6D far left hand side to drop the lower bracket out the way.

Remember you'll need a radio code if you disconnect the battery and also the method to reset the Auto driver window (I think its open window fully, keep button held in for 5secs, close window fully hold button in for 5 secs - then Auto window function should return. Im not sure if thats exact times and steps, trial and error for me)

Andy

Excellent write up! thanks very much Carl this will make the job a lot easier, just couldn't figure it out today until I was pointed in the direction of your post!

Excellent write up! thanks very much Carl this will make the job a lot easier, just couldn't figure it out today until I was pointed in the direction of your post!

Thanks,

It's one of those jobs that once you have done it seems easy, but you tend to forget some little details when explaining to someone else, hopefully this should get people through the first time, please also read after the intitial thread as some guys with better spec cars have added some extra details concerning the glovebox light etc.

Thanks,

It's one of those jobs that once you have done it seems easy, but you tend to forget some little details when explaining to someone else, hopefully this should get people through the first time, please also read after the intitial thread as some guys with better spec cars have added some extra details concerning the glovebox light etc.

Done it! changed the filter today, and yep..dead easy when you know how..it's made such a difference to the clearing of the windows (the old filter was black and clogged with leaves and debris)...just a big thank you to Carl for the easy step by step guide and to all the forum members who have been patient and offered valuable advice to me..cheers guys!! :rolleyes:

Hi Guys. New to the forum and this post was just what i was looking for.

Did this job today and these instructions were perfect.

Thanks

Hi CJM. Just want to say thanks for this. Helped me get this done in 30 mins VS a few hours without your detail.

Another great guide.

This car obviously hasn't been serviced for quite a while.

I'm not suprised the vents didn't work. The filter was full of leaves. As was the Engine Air Filter.

Honda sold me the wrong flaming element! Got the whole thing apart a bout 5 mins to do, and the filter the wrong flaming one!

Part No 80291-S2H-505. Mean anything to anyone?

Cheers Jamie!!! I took the part back to Honda and even though they have the record of me buying the thing, becuase i didn't pay on a card (credit or debit), and i don't have the receipt they won't refund me or exchange it. The chap kinda said, 'So?'.

So now i'm £17 out of pocket, and have a silly filter that i don't need!!!!! And TBH i can't really afford the £15 to buy the filter i need this month! Bl00dy annoyed, doesn't even begin to cover it really.

Cheers Jamie!!! I took the part back to Honda and even though they have the record of me buying the thing, becuase i didn't pay on a card (credit or debit), and i don't have the receipt they won't refund me or exchange it. The chap kinda said, 'So?'.

So now i'm £17 out of pocket, and have a silly filter that i don't need!!!!! And TBH i can't really afford the £15 to buy the filter i need this month! Bl00dy annoyed, doesn't even begin to cover it really.

Would like to change this myself soon, has anyone got a link to an after market source as my search on web brings up genuine Honda ones or similar around £20 delivered. Must be available cheaper than this????

Cheers

Asho.

John give VtecDirect a call mate. Always good value parts from there!

Would like to change this myself soon, has anyone got a link to an after market source as my search on web brings up genuine Honda ones or similar around £20 delivered. Must be available cheaper than this????

Cheers

Asho.

I have Pollen filters on the shelf £12.50 plus delivery. Or pop over and we can do it for you, probably only charge £20 fitted for first typeaccord customer.

was halfway and gave up (only wanted to see the condition of filter) but that was before seeing this guide. Just wondering should I try it again as I'm total noob and some describing the process as PITA.

Unlucky as Vtecdirect's quote (incl. fit) seems very cheap but not near to me. Anyone knows cheapo fit nearby bexley, woolwich, charlton, greenwich, eltham or southeast london?

Just a note to say thanks for the guide. Just changed the cabin filter as the fanout output was virtually zero and de-misting took ages. Output is now back to normal. I bet the filter hadn't been changed for many years, it was certainly caked in dust and leaves!

Just a note to say thanks for the guide. Just changed the cabin filter as the fanout output was virtually zero and de-misting took ages. Output is now back to normal. I bet the filter hadn't been changed for many years, it was certainly caked in dust and leaves!

Cheers :)

Glad you found it useful and that all is back to normal now.

Again many thanks to OP as finally tried and successfully changed. Blue connector was piece of cake but taking dash out was a real pain. All done without disconnecting battery. Also mine that the bulb (1.8 2001 Sport)
20120128_151518.jpg

20120128_151822.jpg

Glad you got it done fella. ;)

I used this guide to do mine too :lol:

Does look like you needed to change the filter, judging by the state of the one that you've taken a photo of :lol: