What's new

Accord IDTEC Turbo cleaning & de-coking

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
I'm sure some of you will find this interesting.

Another example of why you shouldn't ignore DPF problems. We've been decoking the turbocharger on an IDTEC tonight and I took plenty of pics to share with you guys.

The turbo charger was completely jammed due to soot and gunk build up around the vanes, which meant the actuator couldn't move the vanes..

We've also removed the DPF on this one and carried out our Stage 1 DPF OFF.

The design of the turbo/exhaust system on the Accord IDTEC means that the turbo sits off the DPF so any soot that can't get out of the system is going to be blown straight back up and into the exhaust side of the turbocharger... with excessive heat, that soot is going to turn into much harder gunk, restricting the free movement of the vanes and eventually causing it to jam up.

Luckily we managed to save this one... and it's now as free and smooth as a new one.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.608568515880786.1073741901.148037185267257&type=3

No idea, although I believe it was a company car.

Having worked on a number of these now, I can tell you it's the design of the DPF and proximity to the turbocharger that is causing it. When the DPF fills and is ignored, or constantly forced regenned - all that is happening is that the soot is going back up the system, and the first place it has to go is the exhaust side of the turbo..

I do agree that a good Italian tune up once in a while can't do any harm to it.

Spoke to the owner earlier today after he collected his car... suffice to say he was loving it :)