What's new

Removing number plate holder/bracket

Stevie91

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic Coupe
Hi guys, anyone had any luck removing the bracket or holder from the front bumper? Is it a bumper off job? Are there holes left to put the standard sized number plate straight into the bumper instead of the holder? Cheers

For you need take bumper off.If you remove holder,you have big hole under your plate.If I remember holder coming with plastic grill,who are in the midle of the bumper.

You can do it by removing the grill instead of the whole bumper.
All the pop off clips on the front cover, then there's 4 (I think) clips under the grill. Slide your hand down, it's easy.
Pop the grill off.
Then with a pair of plyers grip the rubber on the inside and Go for it.
You are left with many holes though.

vtistu said:
Standard number plate will cover the holes
Cheers that was my main concern. Anyone removed theirs and put the standard sized plate on? I'm imagining it would look much nicer but pictures would be nice before I do mine

you don't need to take off the bumper to remove that bracket, if you unscrew the plate there are two screws behind the plastic caps which are holding bracket to the bumper, standard plate will cover that holes but if you want to stick just plate you'll have to bend it a bit to match the angle on the bumper itself, btw I was thinking about this, but instead of this I just shortened bracket and plate to let the more air coming to the FMIC :)

I struggled with the rubber nuts hence needed to grip with plyers.
I was taking the grill out anyway.
I'm on my iPhone so can't post pictures.

Right cheers boys must give it a go tomorrow, i'm sure i'll work something out

1661574_10153773832830361_883620799_n.jpg

Good stuff, think the bracket ruins the look of the front. Must get a go at this soon

those rubber things are a pain!!! spent an hour trying to get the plate holder off by only taking off the grill (would have been faster to just take off bumper)

Paul_ctdi said:
those rubber things are a pain!!! spent an hour trying to get the plate holder off by only taking off the grill (would have been faster to just take off bumper)
What exactly are they? And will I have to break them with the pliers to remove them? Anyone any pictures of a numberplate on without the bracket (Standard sized if possible)? Cheers folks

Blong91 said:
What exactly are they? And will I have to break them with the pliers to remove them? Anyone any pictures of a numberplate on without the bracket (Standard sized if possible)? Cheers folks
They are just nuts with this rubber moulding around them which make them difficult to hold without the turning, personally I don't think it would look good with standard number plate with out the backing due to the shape of the front bumper, if u have a bit of money lying around and have few stone chips on front bumper I'd just get the holes filled and respray the front bumper, get tilt backet And jap style plates :)

Paul_ctdi said:
They are just nuts with this rubber moulding around them which make them difficult to hold without the turning, personally I don't think it would look good with standard number plate with out the backing due to the shape of the front bumper, if u have a bit of money lying around and have few stone chips on front bumper I'd just get the holes filled and respray the front bumper, get tilt backet And jap style plates :)
Ah right just thought it would look better, might leave it then if I can't find a pic

I always do this with my Honda's as i hate the look of that big ugly grey plastic thing sticking out. Your number plate will need to be bent due to the shape of the accord bumper, but if you are using bolts to hold ur plate down then this should be no problem. Otherwise make sure you get hold of some seriously sticky double sided tape. The holder is a pain as always to get off and you may end up scratching your bumper if you are not careful, so try and stuff an old rag in between the gap/be extra careful when attacking them stupid bolts.

you should be able to bend your plate by heating the face of the plate with a heat gun and then holding it in that shape while it cools, shouldn't need too much heat at all. As you heat the front it should start bending by itself.

I did this mod but didn't like the look of the plate directly on the bumper so I ended up trimming the bracket down to make it look more flush.. I'll try and search for the thread

Hi guys so I got the grill etc. Off today, and have removed the bracket. However the two bolts that secured the bracket are still on the bumper (with the rubber washer things on them). Any tips at all on how these can be removed as they just keep spinning when intry. Thanks

Well what I did was cut as much rubber off them with a Knife and then used a good vice grips to get them off

Paul_ctdi said:
Well what I did was cut as much rubber off them with a Knife and then used a good vice grips to get them off
They are a pain lol. Will attack them with a Stanley knife tomorrow, front and back?

i think i hack sawed mine off from behind in the end?. I made the mistake of attempting to use mole grips and all kinds to try and get them stupid nuts off on my previous Honda and i ended up leaving scratches on my bumper. Be careful thats all I can say and don't let anger take over or you might accidentally scratch your bumper. :D

Out of all the nuts and bolts I had to take off the accord I think the hardest are definitely those two holding on the reg plate holder haha