What's new

Strange sound when reaching biting point in 1st gear only

JIT

Members
Reaction score
Car
ACCORD TYPE S
Hi all, hope all is good. Got bit of a problem and to be fair every mechanic has a different idea, problem is the costs hugely vary so just need advice from someone who has experienced this or repaired it for someone.

This fault is intermittent and I'm sure outside temperature (I don't mean a few degree I mean different between hot and freezing cold) dependant. When I press my clutch down everything is normal when I engage into 1st gear everything is fine as I lift my clutch pedal it all seems well until when I hit the biting point I heard this metallic sound which only happens for a second and never more even if I hold the clutch at biting point. I have to redo the whole thing again if I want that noise to reappear but it's intermittent. Some days it does not happen. Only happens in first gear, all other gears work fine without a noise. My clutch has not slipped nor does it feel like it will. I have tried the test of putting into 4th gear and then flooring it to see if the revs are heavily exceeding the speed. I think I have heard it happen more on cold days. Gearbox oil changed clutch fluid replaced, engine oil all topped up. I am 99 % sure the noise is coming from the engine bay on the passenger side. Clutch is a little delayed in first compared to 5years ago. Mileage 79k it's a 2.4 2005 honda accord.

Thanks guys for any tips or ideas. Really need advice from technical people who understand theclutch and flywheel system

thanks Jon for your suggestion I think it's more within the gearbox area and only happens in first. The engine is smooth as silk and does not vibrate harsh at any stage. Gear changes are smooth too.

Never in any other gear just first. Spoken to HH who said they have never experienced this type of fault
before. Martin in parts was really helpful. Honda brayley suggested it's a dry bearing.

From your description, I had exactly the same thing with my 2.4 last winter. Periodically a weird noise on biting point. I came to the conclusion it was moisture between the pressure plate and flywheel. It used to happen more on cold and/or damp days. Plenty of those of late!

I was also getting clutch judder. Does your judder? I think I had a slightly uneven bit of wear on the clutch itself that was contributing to this issue also.

So put the two things together and I came to the conclusion that uneven wear and moisture trapped in the uneven wear was causing the noise. The reason I say this is that the problem has gone now without me doing anything. I think basically I've worn the clutch down a little more over the year and the slightly uneven wear on the clutch has rectified itself by the whole clutch wearing down a little further.

Obviously if it gets bad, get it to a garage, but otherwise just keep an eye on it. Keep to the recommended service intervals regards fluid change and you may find it goes after a while.

However, there other factor at play here to consider. The clutch release bearings have been known to fail prior to the clutch wearing out on the Accord. This could be the case. Or, it could just be a sign of the clutch going? If it's original, you've done well to get to nearly 80K. I replaced mine at 45K :huh: .

Thanks for your response fahad, it's not a rattling noise it more of a metal wheel slightly slipping wheel a brake has been applied more of a slipping noise not a grinding noise, only for a split second never longer and never in any other gear. Major service is due it that means anything. Just giving as much info as I can. Thanks

I really hope it's only a new clutch

Thanks Steve, it sounds like we might have the same problem. Either way it's bugging me so I think I will put a new clutch kit in. My main concern is that it's not the flywheel. Steve how do u think the moisture went? Did it disappear over summer? All my fluids are changed even filters just need to do plugs and fuel filter. That was six months ago but still gonna get honda to do a full major service in a month or two. What brand is your new clutch steve? And what mileage have u done since?

Thanks guys

Apply 1st, leave handbrake on or get front wheels against a high kerb, gently feed in the clutch to biting point and hold it there for a a couple seconds, that will warm up the plates and get rid of any moister, Then drive it see if the noise is still there.

The clutch isn't a sealed unit, so moisture will get in. Couple that with uneven wear and that could be the trigger perhaps?

I'm with Fahad on this - sounds like a release bearing from the description. People have described it as a "bark" or "yelp" or "squeal" when it 1st on take off. Common enough the release bearing runs dry and makes the sound on spin-up. No big issue.

Doubt it's the flywheel, the 2.4 doesn't suffer problems with this, also you mentioned that it doesn't judder, etc. So the clutch, friction plate, etc is probably ok.

If it really annoys/worries you, it'll need to re replaced, but this involved stripping out the transmission and is no mean feat. If you're going that far you may as well do a clutch kit replacement.

It does but you won't hear it as you'll let the clutch out slower (as it's 2nd) and the bearing has enough time to spin-up at a more moderate pace so the noise isn't as pronounced.

You will eventually hear it in other gears if the bearing continues to get progressively worse.. and it will do it more at cold temps

Wow you are guys are such car enthusiasts finally this makes sense. I feel more confident about going ahead with a clutch change. Let's hope it goes away and I can finally return to hassle free motoring.

Hi All,

I have an 8th Gen that does exactly the same thing, sometimes in reverse too. I had a feeling its a bearing as my clutch function is just fine. I was wondering though, if it is the release bearing, should I be worried about replacing it or should I just ignore it?

shahzaibahmad said:
Hi All,
I have an 8th Gen that does exactly the same thing, sometimes in reverse too. I had a feeling its a bearing as my clutch function is just fine. I was wondering though, if it is the release bearing, should I be worried about replacing it or should I just ignore it?
Never ignore a problem on your car.
Just imagine that you are on holydays with the family 500km from home and this bearing leaves you on the road :)

Poslano z mojega SM-N910C z uporabo Tapatalk

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I recently bought a Gen 8 2.0 Petrol Accord - that is making that momentary noise when taking off in 1st gear. I believe when in a hurry as in more application of throttle (and hence torque) that it makes that noise. Then right through other gears it is fine.

I wanted to ask veterans that faced similar issues, what was the solution to resolve it. Did you change the clutch kit (including release bearing) and it resolved it? If not, what else may be the solution?

Is it something to concern myself immediately or if I can live with it, it's fine?