What's new

2.2 cdti Loud engine knocking noise

rx7ali

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer
Ok so had to get the accord recovered by the AA due to a very loud knocking from the engine.

The car is an 05 accord 2.2 cdti with 105000 miles on the clock

I first thought the sound was a flapping belt, but after popping the bonnet with the engine still running the sound appeared to be coming directly from the block.

The car srptarts and runs and doesn't appear to be lumpy... But the noise is LOUD and sounds to be in time sync with the a single piston stroke.

Will be retiring the car till I get a chance to strip it down and take a look over the internals.

Any suggestions?

Can you see or smell any fuel? Could it be injector knock? Or is it definitely bottom end?

Could be anything mate, could even be a dirty injector causing a knock. I thought my dads Astra crank went as it knocked on Idle but when I reved it the noise went away but on idle it was like a crank knock. In the end a bottle of injector cleaner fixed it no problem.

Does it only happen on idle or constantly?

Very hard to tell like this, really. Worst case, I recall a similar sounding problem where the big end had become so worn the piston was 'over-throwing' and coming into contact with the exhaust valve. Or it could be a badly worn DMF, which would also be a costly problem.

Cheers for the replys guys. Don't think it's injector knock. It's far too loud and doesn't quietness when revved.

There's no smoke and as it's a diesel not sure there would be a rich smell of fuel?

May start it and upload to YouTube later...

From the description it doesn't sound too good!

Getting ready to do a DIY fix.

Anyone know if it's possible to drop the oil pan off without removing the block?

Also, best place to buy main and big end bearings from?

I've borrowed an engine crane ready to remove and inspect the block, just need to find some time now..

So it was a serious bottom end problem then... how did you diagnose it?

If it is the main and/or big end bearings, won't the crank need grinding?

Jon_G said:
So it was a serious bottom end problem then... how did you diagnose it?

If it is the main and/or big end bearings, won't the crank need grinding?
Well I still can't 100% for sure until I Get the sump off, but I'm convinced it's the big end based on the noise and discussions with friends.

I managed to start things off today.
Jacked car
Drained oil and coolant
Removed radiator and header tank
Removed connecting pipe work and wiring harness
Air box
Battery and lots of plastics

I had a peek under the car but to me it didn't look like the sump would come away easily with the engine in place. So I'm going to bite the bullet and haul it out.

It'll be easier to inspect the block on an engine stand rather than laid on my back. Only downside being I'll need to also dump the gearbox oil.

Will keep you updated

Alternator, Ac pump and Engine torque dampener all remove

The sump now requires that two gearbox mount bolts to be removed (which in my case were threaded and stiff as hell)

Dip stick needs removing then there are around 10ish bolts holding the sump in place, will see the big ends soon enough :)

This is interesting stuff. I'm really grateful that you are keeping us informed.

Good luck with the on-going work!

So a little bit of an update:

Engine is out and on a stand in my garage....

As suspected, was a dead big end bearing which has spun in and scored the con rod and crank meaning it's a depressing prospect to be looking to rebuild now.

10151385_10154034426140046_2003022745244793496_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152020200232477

10013767_10152026649742477_1258494511273899528_n.jpg

10171753_10152026649317477_4476539747560487312_n.jpg

1538829_10152026649392477_9089473830322592466_n.jpg

That won't be cheap either!

Sorry it's turned into a big problem, but that knocking noise was never going to be good news.

Wow - when you see the diesel engine actually out of the car, it really is huge! It's some feat to fit that into the Accord's bay.

An even bigger feat to fit in the civic!

F6HAD said:
An even bigger feat to fit in the civic!
Yeah, I didn't even think of the Civic!!

So the car is back up and running! MOT'd and taxed last week with only a couple of advisory.

Replacement engine block was £750 from a donor car with apparently 60k on the clock.. no proof tho unfortunately.

Probably spent another £150 on odd bits including
  • EGR gasket that i lost DOH,
  • 2 replacement injectors that broke on the way out / didnt come out :-( grr
  • Injector seals
  • Gearbox oil
  • engine oil
  • Sensor that snapped when hoisting the engine back in DOH!

I'm not counting buying any tools (engine stand) as I'll be re-using that on my RX7 at some stage :-D

Last remaining issue on the engine front is a tappet noise that comes while engine is loaded up but stops after 3krpm on full throttle. Car sounds perfect at idle or while reving at stand still.
I suspect this is either compression leak around one of the injectors or possibly a exhaust blow near the manifold. But there's no obvious exhaust smell so im thinking it's time to check the injectors again.

Have done two long drives in her and the fuel economy is now AWESOME! Gone from getting 35-40 mpg to 50-60 mpg and im putting this down to having cleaned out the EGR pipework of LOADS of soot and also the inlet manifole and inlet runners of gunk :)

Yeah i wanted to be able to just swap the bearings over but due to the scoring to the crank and rod it was a no go.

It was alot of work.. I could have just sold for parts to claw some money back... but i like a challenge :-D THAT SAID... i wont be doing it again any time soon :p

Huge respect to you for taking this on, persevering and succeeding!

the noise is possibly injectors, especially if they've not been calibrated.

i can do this if you need it..

Hi people, is this the end for my 2.2 I-CTDi engine? :(

The car just started to make a light ticking sound while on the motorway and then got louder and louder into more of a knock or clanking sound. No engine or warning lights at all but lots of white smoke (see videos below)

38460876766_c8fc36be45_b.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vBy6wrim8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC_8M4e_aBQ

It's been looked at by my mechanic and he thinks the internals are damaged due to injector failure.

He couldn't get one of the injectors out of the block and broke three tools in the process. He said he would have to drill it out which might take a lot of work and labour costs and engine would probably still replacing. Fair play to the guy above but I just not willing to pour anymore money into it :(

Looking to get a 2.0 Petrol now despite doing high daily mileage.

Probably going to break this one up for parts and swap the good bits over to the petrol or keep for spares if I do get one. What parts on a diesel executive can be used on the 2.0 VTEC? Brakes, Suspension, any sensors?

thanks

That doesn't sound like timing chain. It sounds like injector leak, and the fact it got louder suggests the same.

Can't see how it would warrant breaking the car it's not that big a job.

If you haven't lost any oil pressure I'm not sure what engine damage he's referring to if it's just a leaking injector.

Have all 4 injectors removed and reseated with new copper seals. There's a good chance it will be fine. The injectors may need to be soaked in diesel and brake fluid to help break down the grit that's jammed them in. There's a few tricks a good mechanic will know to get them out.

Seriously it's not that big a job that it warrants disposing of a perfectly good car.

F6HAD said:
That doesn't sound like timing chain. It sounds like injector leak, and the fact it got louder suggests the same.

Can't see how it would warrant breaking the car it's not that big a job.

If you haven't lost any oil pressure I'm not sure what engine damage he's referring to if it's just a leaking injector.

Have all 4 injectors removed and reseated with new copper seals. There's a good chance it will be fine. The injectors may need to be soaked in diesel and brake fluid to help break down the grit that's jammed them in. There's a few tricks a good mechanic will know to get them out.

Seriously it's not that big a job that it warrants disposing of a perfectly good car.
Yeah I don't want to break it. When it was working it was returning 52-58 MPG easily on long runs and pulling well.

But it comes down to how much it's going cost me to have the injectors removed, re-sealed and refitted. I have bought two used injectors from a low mileage engine last week and at least two of the injectors in the car are only a year old as I had replacement injectors done on warranty not long after buying the car, but I think the garage the dealer sent the car to didn't change all of them. Looking back I think they had the same problem as my regular mechanic and couldn't get the injector so just replaced the others left the dodgy one in :angry:

The first two look clean then other two look like originals with the rust clear to see.

37804552674_2af3ddaf9b_b.jpg

You could actually do this job yourself it's not hard at all..