What's new

alarm keeps going off HELP!

noely02

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
hi,

had an odd thing happen, leaving work, opened car using the fob, got in, started the car and after a few seconds the alarm starts to go off.

stopped the car got out, locked and un locked the car a few times, tried again and as soon as i get in the car the alarm goes off.

left it for 10 mins or so, got in again, started the car and alarm didn't go off, stopped for petrol, and when i got back in the alarm goes off, decided just to drive to see what happens and the distance across the forecourt the alarm stops and i drive home.

tried getting in the car again a few hours later and the alarm keeps going off, I've read through a few of the posts on the forum, the fob battery was replaced about 8 months ago, I've got the cars battery on charge over night, just off before it gets too dark to check fuses and look at the door, bonnet and boot switches.

any help would be greatly appreciated as i have a trip to Birmingham and i don't want everything going oof or it stranding me on the M40!

Have you got ultrasonic sensors in the cabin in yours? Mine only has boot/door sensors, I've not had any issues with me but it might help pinpoint an issue.

yep its got them, going to give them a clean in the morning, and going to try taping them up to see if that makes a difference

thanks i'll give that a try too in the morning, be great if the flash codes are the same, at least i'll sort of have an idea whats setting it off

Nice one...

As I don't have the ultrasonic sensors, I thought if you did this paragraph may be helpful.

ULTRASONIC EXCLUSION
To disable the ultrasonics when the alarm system is on, activate the alarm in the normal manner (see “To Arm
the System”). Within 3 seconds of the last arming indicator flash, press the raised handset button a second
time. The indicators will flash a further 3 times, confirming the deactivation of the ultrasonic system. The
ultrasonic will be re-instated automatically when the alarm system is next armed.

success!!

well i think.........

went round the car, fuses ok, boot and bonnet latches ok, but when i got in the drivers side i noticed the interior light was flickering when the door was open, gave the door switch a wiggle and the light comes on and off, and the alarm goes off too!

so for now i've removed the switch, i don't get the door open light on the dash when the door is open, i can live with the interior light not coming on when i get in, and so far the alarm is behaving itself.

so its off to my local friendly honda dealer for a new switch, don't want to risk a used one, might end up with one as worn out as the one i have.

Result! Aye probably not too expensive and then you can forget about it, rather than taking a chance on a worn one.

aaaaaaaagggghhh!

its doing it again!!!

right printed off the flashy light sequence, try again :angry:

well it flashed 7 times, so that's no help, seems to be totally random when and if it goes off, put a new battery in the fob and followed the instructions elsewhere on the forum to re program it.

again so far so good...............

Not sure if you can disable, I don't have the ultrasonics in the saloon.

Maybe you need to look a bit more at the door switch - did you notice if it was acting up prior to the alarm issues? Electrical issues are a nightmare to troubleshoot without the knowledge so maybe start at the most basics first? :unsure:

I'm away till Monday, having to use the girlfriends micra :(
I get the impression that it will be something simple, annoying thing is I went out alarm went off 7 times, last one when I turned off the ignition to get out, same trip back alarm only went off twice.
When I get back I'll be going over everything again, don't really want to call in the local auto electrician.

Solved!!!!!

I spent the day disconnecting all the sensors 1 by one and by a process of elimination it was the bonnet one.

And boy is it a pain to get at, feel it would be easier to get to it by removing the bumper first, or the radiator, or both......

For now I've left it disconnected, it's quiet hard to get at the micro switch to clean.

Good news Noel..

Are you going to try and clean it? I bought a can of electrical contact cleaner from Halfords that might do the trick, then maybe a spray of silicone to make it slide. I used silicone spray on a number of Flymo lawnmovers, strimmers and blower switches lol...its the same switches (which sit under the trigger via a plastic lever) must be notorious for it if I've seen so many and I'm not even an electrician never mind a gardener!

if you haven't seen where it is, its tucked inside the whole bonnet latch ***embly, and is riveted to it so as far as i can see it would get broken removing it to clean properly, but when i get the chance i will have it all off at work and give it a good de grease and clean, we have some good chemicals i can use, and then soak everything some form of protection, even if its wd40, well we use ambersil 40+, same sort of thing.

if this is the 1st time its gone wrong, and it lasts half as long again i'll be happy.

i had a friend show me on one of the american 6th gen accord sites that this switch is a known fault, especially for the canadian end of the country, cold damp salty roads, and to be honest with how the weather has been in sussex over the last few month, and i've not been shy in blasting through the deeper puddles (well i know honda make speed boats!! :) ) something electrical was bound to fail

Similar thing happened to me last year. It was a problem with the key fob - switched to the spare fob and it didn't happen again.

It's happening now with my beast, but little bit different. It's flashing 7 times. Randomly alarming, during the driving the engine is dragging sometimes stops but restart again. Maybe the same sensors? Do u have any pictures or instructions for for me?
Is it possible the car is switch itself totally off? I mean after X alarming it never starts again and can it go to scrap?

i had the alarm randomly going off but it never stopped the car from being driven, if it is the same sensor that i had the problem with, try disconnecting the connector, if you look below the bonnet latch, removing the latch may help, or trace the cables up from the bottom of the radiator, there's some cables that go behind the bodywork the latch its mounted on, look for a grey block connector with 2 wires coming in/out, that's the one i disconnected

Solved! I disconnected it. But when I close the car it's not flashing anymore. I mean the indicators

i found a couple of alarm manuals in pdf form that might help anyone else who gets an alarm problem, is there any way of pinning them to this topic, or else where where they might be useful?