What's new

Gunk Engine Degreaser - Engine Bay Clean

GordyC

Members
Reaction score
Car
53 Accord Sport CTDI
Whilst continuing to search this forum, I saw a lot of amazingly clean engine bays. So I thought I'd have a go. Now I wasn't expecting miracles as my motor is 11 years old.

I got Gunk Engine Degreaser from a local shop. The weather was bad so it was the engine got a quick soak down with the degreaser, a quick rub with a paint brush here and there, then a quick rinse with the power washer followed by a dry and rub over with WD40.

For the sake of 15 minutes work I thought it came up okay....not super clean like other engine bays on here, but reasonable enough for an 11 year old motor.

Before
imagejpg1_zpsc6b76afe.jpg

After
imagejpg2_zps35eb856d.jpg

Nice job Gordon it looks great mate

Thanks Brett. It was your engine bay pics that convinced me to give mine a once over!

Its a start.....

Gordon little tip if you keep it clean every 2 months it will keep good.
Also once clean its so easy to maintain and once again a great job done

brett said:
Gordon little tip if you keep it clean every 2 months it will keep good.
Also once clean its so easy to maintain and once again a great job done
Cheers Brett. I'll make sure I keep on top of it now. Again, I think it shows how well these cars stand the test of time. Years ago I used loads of Autoglym products on it then eventually lost interest. I can honestly say on occasion it went years without a wash. Now I've got the bug again it's come up like a new penny. I'm in no doubt that using the good quality product early on has saved it over time.

I'm a firm believer that if you look after your car it looks after you.

I really need to do this! Looks great!

Good job man, you didn't have nay problems with the electrics when spraying water over the bay?

exec said:
Good job man, you didn't have nay problems with the electrics when spraying water over the bay?
None at all. I did read other threads and thought problems might occur when I started the engine but it didn't miss a beat.

GordyC said:
None at all. I did read other threads and thought problems might occur when I started the engine but it didn't miss a beat.
Honda Engineering. B)

I am tempted to try this but nervous at the same time... Has anybody here attempted on a petrol bay?

Faz just take a look at mine I flood the engine when I clean mine

I've poured water into the engine bay of both my BB4 Prelude and mk2 Golf when cleaning them. Both have survived :) I just used WD40 on the electrics, and ran the engines for a bit afterwards to dry them. No fatalities yet :lol:

On a tiny side track, I put the cross flow head I bought for my Golf through the dishwasher. It came out amazing :lol:

High pressure water spray in the engine bay! Yikes! Like Faz, me is scared! There must be a less watery way of cleaning my station wagon beast's engine

You'll be fine, WD-40 will forgive all water based sins :)

Ive washed loads of engines with jet washer. Just cover the electrical with bags and cling film. Before starting try to blow away the water and dont concentrate on one area all the time.