What's new

Idle low and engine management 2.4

bogdic

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 I-VTEC
I was driving to Dover everything was fine, then we had to stay in a long queue for about an hour and a half. At one point the idle started to go low 400 500 revs. Then the engine management light came on. It was reasonable hot outside. Any ideas what I can do? I have no change in engine sound. The light did not go off anymore. On the ferry now could use some advice for when we get to France. Thanks

Also I did a service and mot recently, no issues. Yesterday I've changed the air filter myself. If anyone can help would be appreciated. If engine management ligth does not go off, I'll try to remove the baterry see what happends.

It really needs to be connected to a computer to see what fault code it shows. It's very difficult to advise like this.
Do the simple checks like ensuring oil level is fine and all electrical connectors are secure.

The service was done at Honda dealer, but they did not use OEM parts. Maybe it's the spark plugs, bad gas, O2 sensor...

Don't often hear of this sort of thing. Will be interested to know what the cause is. I doubt it was a heat issue, unless of course your thermostat was rocking in the hot areas?

I've stopped in a petrol station, disconected the battery and the engine management light is now off, oil level was good. I've put some 98 shell petrol in it. Drove another three hours without a problem. The light did not come back on. The idle sits around 600 700 revs. Hopefully it will be ok. When I'll get home will take it back to the dealer for a check. If you can suggest a code reader that would be great.

Get it read, but fingers crossed it was just a dirty bit of petrol and nothing more.

Could be a IAT or MAP sensor going funny. As suggested, if you get it read, you'll know 100%.

Would it still show an error if I've disconnected the battery?
I had no issues since and the light didn't come back on.

Hi mate... Iv just had this issue with mine also but only difference is that it was raining... I did have a brief loss off power that was abit jumpy... What was the outcome? Did you pin point the issue?

If you have an Android phone/tablet then the ELM327 bluetooth obd2 interface and the Torque app should allow you to read all engine diagnostic trouble codes.

SinghsatioN said:
Hi mate... Iv just had this issue with mine also but only difference is that it was raining... I did have a brief loss off power that was abit jumpy... What was the outcome? Did you pin point the issue?
Was the rev needle going too low? Dropping to 400 revs? Did you happened to use tesco 95 RON petrol?
It might have been the petrol I used but I'll let you know once I read the error code.

Thanks. I've ordered the smaller one. I'll probably also get the pro version of Torque.

Torque is a good little app and I certainly didn't mind paying for the pro version

Just got the OBD2 today. So will scan it after I get home. Will keep you guys posted.

I've just scanned the car. No errors. No previous faults stocked in the ecu. I also had a look at the coolant temperature. Whenever it reached 100deg the fan would start.

The car seems to be working ok, except for when I take my foot off the accelerator suddenly, it slightly chokes, then it starts to jerk when I put my foot back on the accelerator(lower revs). Not sure if this is normal or not. Is that how all k24 react?

Is there anything else I should look for? Could it be the fuel filter?

Try to do an idle relearn and check if it idles correctley after.

This issue reappeared a few days ago. The car was stopped engine on for about 5 minutes. The revs started to go a bit low, then engine management light came on.

Did a quick scan and the error was p0171: system too lean bank 1

No other issues with the car, except for a lowish idle(500 - 650 revs)

I've cleared the codes and it's been fine ever since. I'll do some more investigation with the car at idle see if the issue comes back.

My brothers k24 did this (system too lean) after fitting the typhoon kit, it happened after the car was idling for ages one evening.

I would actually clean out the throttle body and invoke a throttle position learn if you know someone who has a honda diagnostic system.

Just had a service at Honda. They had a look at the issue read the codes, but could not tell me more than I already know (P0171).
They don't think it's the O2 sensor, and said that changing the spark plugs might help, so now I'll wait and see if the issue reappears.

I still think it might be a tired O2 sensor, so probably will replace it anyway.

H service have to check for fuel pressure in the rail and check o2 sensor readings and responce with scanner. 0171 CEL usually its 80% related to weak pump \ clogged fuel filter \ injectors. and 20% to dead o2 sensor. [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Spark plugs have no relation to lean mix. [/SIZE] With your weird floating idle problems i can say its 99% fuel system \ pump. If the o2 sensor respond is ok - no need to replace it, it cost around 150usd new. Fuel pump is rather expensive, get used one ...

GL solving your issue , respond us once you find the bug.

I've used Redex injector cleaner a few weeks ago as suggested above, and I've also started using Tesco's momentum 99 petrol. The problem hasn't reappeared so far.

Just to keep everyone's hopes down, the issue reappeared a few times since my last post.

It seems to happen whenever the engine is warm, and I leave it running at idle for more than 4-5 minutes, then turn the engine off and on again, engine management light comes on.

I've also noticed it the engine is hot it starts a lot slower than when it's cold.