What's new

suspension clunk cdti

manparis

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
53 plate cdti 120k . I have a clunk noise that comes from my front suspension when you go over uneven parts in the road and speed humps. It doesn't do it everytime the suspension is compressed but it is doing it enough for me to worry. Any ideas folks? Are there any parts that wear worse than others. ? Sounds more towards the drivers side also

I had clunks from front suspension and turned out to be play in the upper arm ball joints. Move the wheel and check for play

Could just be your antiroll bar bushes being worn, or the anti roll bar drop links. Many people here have feared big, expensive suspension problems and it's just turned out to be ARB related issues. On the whole, there are a ton of things on here about them and they don't cost a lot to fix. There are some great DIY guides too.

Duplicate posts merged buddy.

I'd be starting with the cheapest option first and the bushes for the front ARB are only something like £10 for the two. It is the fitting of them that's the hard-work - the subframe needs to be lowered slightly.

Since you're getting the clunk over uneven parts of the road, it's a strong possibility that it's the ARB as this is it's function (control the roll of the car as the suspension compresses unevenly).

thanks for the answers guys much appreciated. I took two photos of what I think is the issue.

these are what bushes? suspension ?ARB? one has a lot bigger gap then the other and the rubber is worn badly?

Ah - they are your front lower control arm compliance bushes. About £20 each and easy enough for a mechanic to change.

As they sit you will find you steering also wandering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLTUjbN2cD8

these are both my ARB drop links which seem to be intack so im guessing its that big bush at the front in the other picture.

Agreed. Start with the compliance bushes.

That second compliance bush looks knackered. To test the drop links just grab hold of them and give them a good shake with your hand. If you can feel any play or slight knock as you move them then they need changing as that slight knock is amplified once on the road.

right e o . ill try and get into the local garage im not even gonna attempt to that big juicy bush out its looks well and truly welded in there. ill leyt you know what happens. I have noticed the steering pulling a little so guess this is the cause. cheers all

right been to the garage and they want £50 plus parts to do the compliance bush. now iv seen these on ebay and im sure I can do this myself as the hard part surely is getting the old bush out and putting in a new one. so if I get a whole new wishbone then im pretty sure I can change that and do the other side. what do you guys think
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-HONDA-ACCORD-2003-2008-LOWER-SUSPENSION-WISHBONE-ARMS-2-0-2-2-2-4-CTDi-PAIR-/150668047088?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item231483f2f0

do I need any special tools for this apart from a baljoint puller

Hiya, I believes car has the same parts to be replace, but no clunk noise but when car driven to uneven road or under high speed braking, I can feel the steering wheel isn't smooth, it's unusual, make me thinking the rushes or ball joints....

Jon_G said:
Might just be tracking or even tyre pressures.
Hi Jon, I was trying to get the alignment done but my car was too low the front lip will hit the rail of the hunter machine, they told me bumper need to be off....
I was thinking to take the bumper off and go again later for this check..

Take it to your local garage instead... you don't need a Hunter just to check the tracking!

I used to do all my own cars, but left the equipment in NZ when we moved back to the UK. So I now have to pay £15 for it to be done down the road.

Ok, I was alway thinking the four wheel alignment, you are right, I'll get that check before any further spend, may be they will spot something need replacing, the wishbone bushes or ball joint. I'll wait and see what happen, thanks