What's new

Another Rusty Sunroof

deeno1975

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord I Dtec
I’ve got 2 issues with the sunroof of my iDtec Accord. The car is out of warranty by 9 months.

1. When I open the sunroof on the tilt setting (i.e. push the sunroof button up towards the roof) I find that it is hard to close (it attempts to close but just reopens). Sometimes it will close fine and often will take ages of attempting to close before it actually closes. The sunroof full open and sunroof full close works fine. There are a few threads on this for the Honda Acura in the US of A and this is recognised as being an issue with them. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and if they got a proper resolution??? I’ve been through the threads here and on other websites but alas no solution presents itself.

2. While open in the tilt position I noticed some specs of rust/corrosion on the inside of the cradle where the sunroof sits. When I went investigating I found that the source is the rubber seal around the sunroof itself. I peeled back the rubber seal and could see where the rust/corrosion is. It is where the rubber seal mates with the “glass” sunroof. My question are, has anyone seen this before (ye may have it but maybe unaware of its existence). What are my chances of getting this covered under the Honda extended body warranty???

I’m not so concerned with issue 1 but issue 2 is a top priority for me.

Any thoughts or recommendations welcomed.

I’ve got 2 issues with the sunroof of my iDtec Accord. The car is out of warranty by 9 months.

1. When I open the sunroof on the tilt setting (i.e. push the sunroof button up towards the roof) I find that it is hard to close (it attempts to close but just reopens). Sometimes it will close fine and often will take ages of attempting to close before it actually closes. The sunroof full open and sunroof full close works fine. There are a few threads on this for the Honda Acura in the US of A and this is recognised as being an issue with them. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and if they got a proper resolution??? I’ve been through the threads here and on other websites but alas no solution presents itself.

2. While open in the tilt position I noticed some specs of rust/corrosion on the inside of the cradle where the sunroof sits. When I went investigating I found that the source is the rubber seal around the sunroof itself. I peeled back the rubber seal and could see where the rust/corrosion is. It is where the rubber seal mates with the “glass” sunroof. My question are, has anyone seen this before (ye may have it but maybe unaware of its existence). What are my chances of getting this covered under the Honda extended body warranty???

I’m not so concerned with issue 1 but issue 2 is a top priority for me.

Any thoughts or recommendations welcomed.
There was one member hear with this rust problem a wile ago.I will try and find the thread.
You should be covered by Honda's corrosion warranty on this :)

Hear you go fella

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4318-would-this-be-covered-under-warranty/

Ok guys...

Main dealer just got back to me (they had lodged a claim with Honda) and said that the sun roof is not covered under the extended Corrosion Warranty. Instead Honda said (conveniently enough for them) that it was covered under the 3 year warranty (which has expired).

Just wondering what course of action I should pursue?? Should I contact the Honda head office here in Ireland and plead my case??

Does it make any sense that the Sun Roof is not covered when it is technically part of the body???

Any help or advice is gratefully accepted...

To keep this thread updated as it may prove useful to others who may come upon this issue (and I think that there will be if this is a manufacturing defect).

I called Honda head office in Dublin and they said that the Sun Roof Corrosion is not covered under the extended warranty (just covered under the 3 year warranty). They also said that they have not yet come across any cases of sun roof corrosion (probably not discovered yet).

For my two pence worth if you have a Honda Accord (or even Civic) with a sun roof and it is still under warranty I would check for the start of corrosion around the rubber weather strip on the sun roof.

As for my option it going to be either
replace (circa €900). This is not an option for me.
or
try and limit the spread of corrosion. Anyone got any ideas on how to treat corrosion (or limit the spread of) around a rubber metal join??? I was told that silicone grease might be an option after sanding the rust affected area???

Thanks for the update i will have a good check of mine before the warranty runs out.This i think is not good at all from Honda not to cover this as its part of the body work IMO

Thanks for the update i will have a good check of mine before the warranty runs out.This i think is not good at all from Honda not to cover this as its part of the body work IMO

Agreed as I suspect (unless mine is a one off) that there will be other cases appearing as time goes by. I have tried but not much more I can do unless I go legal and that is not for me.

Can you get some photos up of the corrosion as this will help us decide on the best DIY fix.Or it might be the case of a good bodywork shop.

Can you get some photos up of the corrosion as this will help us decide on the best DIY fix.Or it might be the case of a good bodywork shop.

Will do Brett, will try and get some photos up (weather dependent). I'm reluctant to go body shop as the weather strip is molded onto the sun roof. Not much hope of getting back on after removal. Will put up some photos for you to look at

Ok Killian nice one.Just a thought iv nether used it but you can buy special paints to stop rust.But it all depends on how bad the corrosion is i would say.

Have a look hear but there are lots of these treatments out there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loctite-7503-Rust-Remedy-Treatment-90ml-/180794212139?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item2a182cbf2b

Pictures Below

First Tilt Sun Roof
TiltSunroof.jpg

Peel Back the Rubber and have a look at the carnage. I rate this as bad to severe rust. Forgive the quality, rain interrupted photo shoot. The only reason I found it was when I saw specs of rust on the sun roof frame about 5 weeks ago while looking at something else. What do you think??? The bit I showed you is the worst but runs the whole way around the that border.

There is no ingress of water and there is no blockage in the drains!!!!! :(

PeelBack1.jpg

PeelBack2.jpg

PeelBack3.jpg

This is very bad indeed.I would take this up with trading standards or similar.This would have been effected a long time ago when the car was well in its warranty bracket.

Iv just checked mine and its ok.Im thinking the glue that holds on the rubber seal has reacted with the paint maybe.The only other option is try and source a second hand sunroof from a scrappy.

Sorry, but a sunroof is not part of the body and thats why Honda rejected the claim. The sunroof is a removable component that has no structural link to the rest of the car.
Yep your correct SAJ my mistake as i thought it was on the main body before the photos.But IMO this rust on a car 8 months out of its warranty is no acceptable in my book.

Thanks brett for your help. My time is limited at the moment so I'm not in a position to go after Honda for compensation that I'll probably not get.
My options are as probably as follows;
Clean up the sunroof as best I can, remove as much as the rust as possible and use the remedy you suggested to stop any further rusting. That'll buy me some time.
Try and find a sunroof from a breakers. Can't think there'll be many with 8th Gen Hondas with sunroof. Can you recommend any good breakers in the UK I can contact???
Just wondering is the sunroof in the 7th Gen the same as the 8th Gen (would def increase my chances of getting one)

Thanks again.

As you said 8th gen are limited in the scrap yards but I will have a look tomorrow.
If its surface rust then your in luck.You can take the sun roof out and sand it back to the metal.
Then prime it and spray it. Because the paint work is hidden by the rubber seal the job don't have to be perfect.

As you said 8th gen are limited in the scrap yards but I will have a look tomorrow.
If its surface rust then your in luck.You can take the sun roof out and sand it back to the metal.
Then prime it and spray it. Because the paint work is hidden by the rubber seal the job don't have to be perfect.

Cheers Brett...
I think that it is a little more than surface rust and is starting to compromise the seating of that rubber seal. The other problem is that I will not be able to take that rubber strip off so it'll be a case of patching up as best I can until a sunroof appears at a breakers somewhere.
Thanks,
Killian

Your probably right without looking it in the flesh its hard to tell.
Did you say a new sunroof was 900 Euros ?
I will have a good look for second hand one for you.
I'm sure we will find one what is your budget on one.

Your probably right without looking it in the flesh its hard to tell.
Did you say a new sunroof was 900 Euros ?
I will have a good look for second hand one for you.
I'm sure we will find one what is your budget on one.

Yeah the quote was around €950
At the mo the best I can do is around €400 - €450. Getting married is a few weeks so cash flying in all directions :D
Thanks

Congratulations on a better note mate.

After reading this post and seeing the pics I thought I would check my sunroof, even though no problems or leaks. To my surprise and disappointment I found rust and corrosion under the front rubber strip to the same extent as the OP!

Car is 2008 so out of manufactures warranty but I purchased the car less than a year ago from a Honda dealership so is under the 1 year warranty that goes with a used car from Honda. Should this be covered???

Get the car straight back mate and yes you should be covered.

After reading this post and seeing the pics I thought I would check my sunroof, even though no problems or leaks. To my surprise and disappointment I found rust and corrosion under the front rubber strip to the same extent as the OP!

Car is 2008 so out of manufactures warranty but I purchased the car less than a year ago from a Honda dealership so is under the 1 year warranty that goes with a used car from Honda. Should this be covered???

Yeah just as I suspected, mine is not an isolated incident. **** poor that Honda don't own up and admit the problem and come to some compromise to a resolution. Those cases of corrosion will only increase as time goes by. If a person does not check for corrosion then the first sign of a problem will be water ingress!

My gut feeling on this guys is the glue on the rubber seal is reacting over time with the paint.Hence causing the rust issue.Or it might be a bad batch of sunroofs for that year of model.

This is like the issue of Hyundai Veloster. The Hyundai Veloster is somewhat stylish, fuel efficient, and has polarizing looks as many think a paper bag should be put over it to cover its hideous face. However, ugly is not a safety concern, whereas a bursting sunroof is, and that very issue has motivated an NHTSA investigation.

Just asked a guy I know with the same year Honda as me and I check his sun roof... and there it was, same as my own, "beautiful" brown rust!!!

Will now contact Honda for a 3rd time and see if they are interested in looking into this, after all it is their product that is defective and I would like to think that they would be interested in rectifying it (says he not holding his breath)!!!

Killian iv also heard on other Accord forums at least 2 more cases of this so the more cases given to Honda UK the better chance you have mate.

All, to keep you posted below is a proposed resolution by Honda Ireland,

Honda Ireland have come back to me and basically their offer is to give me a heavy discount. The numbers are as follows

Full Cost of sunroof is €872.09 + (plus VAT 23%) €200.58 + plus labour (1 hour should cover) of €90 = €1,112.62

Their offer to me is all in for €690, which is a discount of €422.62, which is 38% discount.

The prices in sterling are approx £893.98 full job and £554.16 when discounted.

Now for comparison the price on LINGS is£806.84 + deliver £26.40 = £832.40 (€1,035.94)

So if I did the job myself (purchsae from LINGS) the cost would be €1,035.94 and their offer is €690.

So what are your opinions on this and any suggestions??

Killian

Full content of correspondence below...

As you are aware your Honda Accord was first registered in the United Kingdom on the 26th of November 2008 and it was supplied with a 3 year manufactures warranty. It is under this 3 year/60,000 mile warranty that the defect in your sunroof would be applicable. The extended 12 year structural corrosion warranty that you have referred to is only relevant to structural body panels that have corrosion from the inside to the outside of the body panels, please review your service book for further information.

As your Accord is nearly 12 months outside of manufactures warranty and was not originally imported by ourselves the only ***istance I can offer you is extra discount on the price of a replacement sunroof. I have spoken to your local Honda Dealer, Bradley’s Honda Centre Galway and they have agreed to supply and fit a replacement sunroof for €690 including fitting & VAT, the normal retail price of the sunroof is €872.09 plus fitting & VAT.

I have also forwarded your concerns to Honda Motor Europe for their information.