What's new

Engine replacement advice

crimpingandy

Reaction score
Car
Accord icdti
Hi, I have a 54 plate diesel accord with 125k and following a recent oil pressure warning the turbo, fuel pump drive and engine are knackered. We are wondering if it's worthwhile replacing the engine. I figure the car is worth about £500/600 in it's present state and about £3k if working based on autotrader/ebay prices. Given I'll have to pay someone to do all the work is it worthwhile. It looks like a second hand engine + turbo will be about £1k, a recondiitoned one more like £1.5k but have no idea of fitting cost or pitfalls. Any advice would be much appreciated. cheers

your decision but to me it seems a lot of money and hassle to fix up a 10 year old car that could go again soon after so I would probably cut my losses if it was me and get another car

does it have to be a diesel?

Welcome to the forum. This is a tough decision...

I've replaced engines in cars myself when I was a lot younger, these days I only do maintenance work.

Replacing one of these engines is a major job to get right. If the engine in my Accord packed up (54 plate petrol) I wouldn't do it myself, I wouldn't pay someone else to do it, I'd sell it for parts or just scrap it.

Honestly speaking, I would cut my losses and move on. Even with all my contacts, I couldn't be arsed with the hassle on something like this. You will need to source a decent working engine, turbo and god only knows what else (there's always more than you first expect with projects like this).

Out of interest, what oil were you running in the car? 125k miles is nothing for these cars..

Honestly speaking, I would cut my losses and move on. Even with all my contacts, I couldn't be arsed with the hassle on something like this. You will need to source a decent working engine, turbo and god only knows what else (there's always more than you first expect with projects like this).

Out of interest, what oil were you running in the car? 125k miles is nothing for these cars..
sounds like none!!

Stop it Victor! :p

Still be interested in what the cause of the failure was. It is a little worrying given the numbers of full blown break downs as to what is the fundamental underlying problems are.?

I'm guessing the oil pump drive chain broke?

Apparently this chain often wears much quicker than the (longer) timing chain... when it snaps it often also breaks the adjacent timing chain which would then cause a loss of drive to the fuel pump plus destroy the engine.

Would a rattling noise from the engine prior to the oil pump chain breaking? I'm ***uming these oil chain doesn't check-out without some warning?

Probably, but it can be a very subtle noise... as much a rubbing/chafing 'diesely' sound as a rattle. I had been able to overlook/ignore mine until it got far worse recently.

Hmmm.... I've never noticed these before. I've certainly heard the timing chain rattle. I need to listen closer to see if I can detect it.

I nthis case the op refers to a warning light! but when did it come on? after the chain had snapped or before the chain snapped, agree the chain is the usual suspect but they are designed to be lubricated!!