What's new

Replacing front speakers

moreira

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CDTi
Hi all,

After browsing a bit on the forums reading the existing topics, it looks like the speakers in the 8th gen Accords with "Premium Audio System" are a known cause of problem.

I bought my car used, and the previous owner said that he had already changed them under warranty at around 2 years old, and now one of the front ones is crackling/distorting again and bugging me more and more.

Instead of arguing with my local dealer to try and have them changed, I was seriously considering replacing them with a better quality pair of aftermarket speakers.

Do you guys know if there any nice aftermarket speakers that are a straight fit, or are the factory speakers a custom fit and a lot of hassle to replace with aftermarket ones?

Thanks,
Paulo

My front drivers door speaker is having the same problem I'm going to try the jbls with adapters hopefully they will be decent quality thanks mark for the link was driving me mad too

The adapters you can buy separately off ebay. I think they use the civic speaker adapters allowing you to put any 17cm speaker in.

JBL are ok but my focal sound much better.

The original tweeters can be took out easily too, allowing you to replace those and still keep the oem look by leaving the grilsl on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-2008-16-5cm-6-5-Front-Door-Speaker-Adaptor-Plate-Pod-CT25HD05-/330993334194?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d10bd77b2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-Polyglass-165-VB-2-Way-speaker-kit-/261490811627?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3ce21122eb

Hi All,

I too have now replaced my front speakers with the JBL ones with adapters and also a wiring adapter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400629847928?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Fairly simple to fit but I have a small issue...

The front passenger was the one that needed replacing but obviously replaced both.

They work fine but when I turn the volume up or when they have been working for a couple of minutes the drivers side speaker stops working (keeping in mind, this was the one which did not have any issues)

Does any one know the cause or have a solution to this ?

Is it as simple as a 'dodgy' connection as I am sure there were a tight secure fit when connecting them to the speakers

Your help would be appreciated

Peter

PS - the passenger side speaker makes a noise about 1 second after turning the ignition off !

Weird,what is the sound quality like compared to standard speakers? As I to want to buy them, but il see how you get on first before I buy hopefully it's something simple,maybe it's a faulty wiring adapter?

Hi peter.

It sounds like a dodgy connection to me if the sound totally cuts off from the speaker. How are the speakers connected? Are yoy still using the original speaker connectors? I used my old speakers as adapters and cut out the connector plug. I then soldered the original braided speaker wires directly to the new speakers.

To problem solve it I would:

Sit in car and turn volume up to get sound to cut out.

Id then take door card off and turn the volume up.

If it cuts out still id then take the speaker out and crank it up. If it cuts out, I'd leave the stereo on and flex the wires to see if its a dodgy connection.

id then re solder or re terminate any wires.

If it still does it id swap the speakers over to rule out its the speaker.

Hi Jason,

Thanks, makes sense, I will try to do that at the weekend.
I have the wire adapters also that connect to the block and speakers, I would ***ume these are to blame too as It surely can not be the system or speakers...

Tony,

Obviously not been fully tested yet but hopefully will be sorted at the weekend.
When they worked for a while, I noticed a difference for the better, I felt as though there was a lot more base as well in the car.
I will however fully test them once the problem is sorted.

I will keep you all informed.

Thank you

Well, spent alot of time today of this problem....

I removed all the door cards and tried different speakers all over.
I can confirm that all speakers work and all connections are OK.

I am still stumped....

If I put two of the originals in the front - IT WORKS
If I put two new speakers in the front - BOTH DON'T WORK (only for about 10 seconds and then stop working)
If i put one original and one new speaker in the front - BOTH DON'T WORK (again for only 10 seconds)

But if I put both new speakers in the back doors - BOTH WORK

The only conclusion is that the replacement speakers work anywhere in the car apart front the front doors

Why........I have no idea !

I just want to replace the poor speakers in the front but I don't know how
I could buy some other speakers but I could be wasting my money....

Any ideas ?

Peter

Would it be anything to do with the new speakers having built in tweeters and therefore also need the tweeter connection from the top of the door connected ..?

I've got focal component coaxials plus MBquart tweeters so I'm stumped. What's the sensitivity of the new speakers? 92db+ is what Id be looking for. It's easier on the head unit. JBL do 2 ohms speakers (True 4 ohm) The cable in the car adds 2 ohms. I have a spare set and they worked fine.

I'd ask a shop for some speakers that will work with you car. If they don't work, you can then take them back.

If the new speakers work in the rear ok why not use them in the rear and put your rear speakers in the front, could be something to do with the way the car amp is set up?

The speakers seem fine. I really have no idea why they'd be playing up. If you were to buy another set online who's to say if they'll work or not. You'd then have the hassle of sending them back.

I'd go to a local car stereo outfit and let them know what the problem is. You could then try some speakers in your doors. That way at least you'd be driving away with them working.

Are the + and - of speakers wires the wrong way?

Using the adapter I bought, there was only one way to put them on, due to the widths of the wore connectors which matched the speakers (if ya know what I mean)
fitted same way in the back

I got a set of speakers an adapters from ebay

SONY XS-GT1728F & CT25HD05 HONDA ACCORD 2008 - 2012 6.5" 165MM FRONT DOOR DIRECT
UPGRADE SPEAKER & ADAPTORS KIT INCLUDING SCREWS & LEADS

They work great I just replaced the drivers door speaker as that was the only one that was giving trouble I cut the plastic end of the car wires
I then connected the two red wires together as one and the same as the the two grey ones they connected the new speaker leads to them an it worked great

I have similar problem as Peterbfd when installing new upgraded speakers at front door. These new speakers was working fine for few days but suddenly decided to stop working, furthermore my factory tweeter stop working, no sound from navigation and also no sound from hands free phone.

Moved the upgraded speakers to the back location near the sub made the situation even worse as the sub, front door and the upgraded speakers became not working. Then I tried taking off the upgraded speakers cable connection from the boot to check if this make any different. Funny once it all off every devices and also my speakers start working again.

while me in the boot I saw my speaker cable connector touching the car metal body, I decided to took the speaker out, pushed the cable connector further down just enough for not making any contact to the car body, re sit the cable, duck tape them and re install to the back. Voila.. all speakers working ..

I am glad my factory amp not fried or broken any other devices because of my silly mistake and glad this was an easy fix. I bet this short connection to the car ground was the cause of my speaker problem when I first install them on the front door.