What's new

Knocking noise from rear of car

spannerman

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord type s tourer
Hi all..I am new to this site and also new to my 2003 Accord type S tourer....I need your help....

I am getting a knocking noise when going over small bumps or rumble strips in the road...It seems to be coming from around the center of the rear of the car or maybe the off side rear...It does not matter what speed and is really annoying..Took eveything out of car today and noise still there.....Checked the suspension up on jack today but could not find anything wrong...exhaust also looks fine and is not touching anywhere.....Are there any common problems thithe the rear suspension? And has anybody else had this fault?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.....

Welcome to the club Keith.

It sounds like the anti-roll bar links (a common problem). They cost about £40 each from Honda and can be tricky to fit, but if you have a dremel, the old one's can be cut off with a carbon disc ;)

Welcome to the club Keith.

It sounds like the anti-roll bar links (a common problem). They cost about £40 each from Honda and can be tricky to fit, but if you have a dremel, the old one's can be cut off with a carbon disc ;)

Should I be able to feel or see any movement in the roll bar links?

I had to replace the rear ARB links on the rear a few months back, no obvious signs of damage. I could cause the clonk by pulling and pushing on the ARB. Decided to replace both, I expect the grease inside the ball joint had disappeared sometime ago!!

It can also be the ARB bush, which is alot easier to replace. if doing the droplinks its worth replacing the bushes at the same time only a fiver from honda.

Other than for the noise, is there any other reason why to replace the ARB in this condition? I reckon mine probably needs changing but I prefer the sound of cash still in my wallet!

OK...Thanks all I have found the problem...I cut of the o's'r roll bar linkage today and found excessive play in the roll bar bushes connecting the roll bar to the car...I have taken the roll bar off completey and driven the car..The noise has gone :) . I have ordered new rear bushes and two roll bar linkages for tomorrow from Honda....

Thank you all.......You are all superb

Keith