What's new

Top section Double DIN with heater controls moved

Pottermus

Members
Reaction score
Car
CR-V EX & S2000
All done:

It's a new Honda HDD sat nav system with Bluetooth and I-Pod. Took some time and effort to do, but worth it.

Supplied and fitted by Holdcroft Honda.

Looks good man, the unit looks very well featured, was it a straight fit and does all the features work?

Only bad thing is that it doesn't physically fit very flush or well in the hole.

Everything works as it should.

The photo is a bit deceptive as there is a black panel around the unit which fits flush against the original dashboard.

Looks great! Bet it cost a pretty penny for holdcroft to supply AND fit it! :D

Thats tidy mate, What we all like to know is how much did the whole job end up costing you ?

It took about eight hours start to finish. Some major dashboard alterations and re-routing of the heater panel cables. The blower direction was the worst as it's too short to use the existing route. The easiest part was wiring the satnav system in to the speedo etc

Does that unit allow bluetooth streaming of audio?? -

Nice job btw! I know how difficult it is to move those control lines -_-

Would it have fitted more flush and proportionate in the bottom section?

Bit of an alteration

Not quite finished yet though

Ok, the top piece above the unit right? Looks good

Get some pics of the car up dude

Very nice, looks a really clean example. What other mods have you got planned?

None. I've actually de-modded it lol. I took off a straight through system and replaced it with a stock Honda exhaust.

nice job dude on that satnav. i heard that honda uses military satellites for navigation :) btw i was thinking about doing the same thing but i cant move my cc and radio unit as holes for screws doesnt fit :(

What's the price of that unit Sat nav unit?
Do you have the part numbers? It would be helpful for someone that wants to do the same.

The bare unit is £2762, 08A40-2L6-100.

The Bluetooth and I-pod options are a bit more, and then the cost of the various fascias, wiring and fastenings etc. oh and a bit of time and patience fit it lol

Havoc said:
nice job dude on that satnav. i heard that honda uses military satellites for navigation :) btw i was thinking about doing the same thing but i cant move my cc and radio unit as holes for screws doesnt fit :(
It has been done a few times to cars with CC. Apparently cars with climate control are easier to do rather than those with normal manual heater controls. I've not seen one with manual controls done before, but I can't imagine mine is the first.

Pottermus said:
It has been done a few times to cars with CC. Apparently cars with climate control are easier to do rather than those with normal manual heater controls. I've not seen one with manual controls done before, but I can't imagine mine is the first.
i doubt it. reason is that cc with radio unit are much heavier that shelves. and cc with radio is mounted to iron/steel cage which is more durable than plastics. (done this job recently as i was changing cig lighter illumination ring. it can be done with little DIY but i dont have time, not that skilled and dont want to screw it more :D

3k??!! Damn that is expensive, would've just got a third party unit, but i guess you won't get all the integration.

Spending 3k on a 2k car just for integrated satnav, I would cry if it cost that much on a 20k car.

Glad I only spent £100 on a Tom Tom.

I like my cars to be OEM and have a few toys.

I wanted an Accord Type'R rather than anything else currently on the market, and I wanted satnav etc. For me, I see it as good value for money as I now have the car I wanted for the money I had to spend.

Gareth: I completely understand your point of view, but I would never do it B)

Any way, back to serious things, the head unit uses an external GPS antenna, or it just uses it's internal "receiver/antenna"? I wonder if there will be signal issues if using only the internal antenna.
Also, how long does it take for the unit to be ready to use after you turn the ignition on? Instantly or you have to wait a few seconds?

It's got an external (to the Headunit) antenna behind the dashboard, and once you've pressed the ok button about the health and safety nonsense you're ready to rock and roll.

The Bluetooth takes about 20 seconds to initially pick up my phone.

Realigned the fascia so it sits flush now:

All finished

Its expensive but as long as you like it thats the main thing. Ive done things like this in the past and people has criticised.

Looks good mate.

Looks great!

That navigation system is supposed to be from what Honda model?