What's new

Reoccurring Fault Code

Nightwalker

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hello,
I'm getting a P0606 ecm/pcm internal circuit malfunction fault coming up all the time. When I say all the time I mean it comes on for a day or so then goes out for a day or so. This has been happening for around 3months now, sometimes it stays off for longer but always comes back.

I know the code because a friend used his Autel Maxi Diag reader on the car, it has been deleted but keeps coming back.

It also comes up with this...ABS/VAS will quit communication above 50k/30MPH...which I have no idea what it means. The ABS light has never come on so I have no idea what the problem is there. Can't be that bigger deal presumably.

Basically the car drives perfectly normally and I haven't had a single issue with it in any way...accept the damn engine light comes on n off for these faults. I get the impression it isn't a major deal and it has been mentioned they could be glitches or merely a loose connection or wire.

Any ideas??

Nightwalker said:
Hello,
I'm getting a P0606 ecm/pcm internal circuit malfunction fault coming up all the time. When I say all the time I mean it comes on for a day or so then goes out for a day or so. This has been happening for around 3months now, sometimes it stays off for longer but always comes back.

I know the code because a friend used his Autel Maxi Diag reader on the car, it has been deleted but keeps coming back.

It also comes up with this...ABS/VAS will quit communication above 50k/30MPH...which I have no idea what it means. The ABS light has never come on so I have no idea what the problem is there. Can't be that bigger deal presumably.

Basically the car drives perfectly normally and I haven't had a single issue with it in any way...accept the damn engine light comes on n off for these faults. I get the impression it isn't a major deal and it has been mentioned they could be glitches or merely a loose connection or wire.

Any ideas??
Ok, the P0606 is indicating an ECU fault. There's nothing specific for fixing this other than trying a software upgrade (via the HDS) or a replacement ECU :eek: (the code indicates an internal memory fault)

For the ABS/VSA quitting communication, this is normal when is diagnostic mode (i.e. when plugged in). It is saying that above 50km/hr that the ABS/VSA will no longer report over the ODB connector.

Is this petrol or diesel? Did you do a re-flash of the car?

HDS = Honda Diagnostic System. It can be used to clean/upgrade the firmware of a ECU. It's Honda computer that will talk to the computer of the car. You'll generally only find it at dealers.

I have spoken to my local dealer and they wanna charge me £60 to use their HDS I presume, but they said they wanna see what comes up so basically I don't wanna pay £60 just for them to tell me what I already know from many fault readings.

I just wanna know if there are any upgrades for the software but I don't think they're gonna do that, they just wanna charge me 60 to run another diagnostic check -_-
They already told me nothing was 'coming up' so why pay 60 for their test?

My friend at work said he rung up about Civic ECU updates at his Honda dealer and they simply told him there were updates and merely charged him 25 to do it. No big charges for diagnostic checks.

These dealers do know if there are any updates for certain models/years without having to run a simple diagnostic check right??! surely!

The fault indicates an internal memory error in the ECU. This could be failing EEPROM/RAM inside the ECU or otherwise - like any other computer, ECUs can and will fail over time.

So should I take it to my dealer and let them hook up their HDS? I know the fault code of course so is it worth it? can they find updates?

My friend reckons they should be able to do that via my VIN number without having to hook it up to the machine as that's how he was told of an update for his civic.

I can't see any point in paying for someone to use a HDS on your car - as you say, you already know the diagnostic trouble code and Jason has suggested a reason for it... I can't see how simply connecting up a HDS will fix that problem (or even understand it any better), and neither would a software update unless one was available to correct this specific problem, which Honda would certainly know about and would therefore be able to discuss with you (AFAIK, there was a software update, but to address an issue with the oil level warning light giving false indications of low oil level?). And I agree with your friend, Honda should know from the VIN what version of software your car is currently running and whether an update is available.

If it isn't affected running, then you may indeed simply delete the DTC by disconnecting the battery or - better still - buy your own cheap OBD2 reader and use that. Otherwise fitting a replacement (secondhand) ECU might be the simplest option?

OK, does anyone know of any updates for the 04 Accord other than that the one you mentioned?

I kinda thought the HDS might be able to do something more than a non Honda specific reader, seeing as the HDS is specifically for Honda's no?

Where would I get a second hand ecu? and are they easy to fit?

Just disconnect the battery positive (+) and leave for a few mins? this might clear it completely?

HDS is more than a lot more simple reader! It allows the user to interact with the ECU and make changes to operating parameters in real time and change settings. And - if you have also have access to an ECU update (if you were a Honda dealer, say) - then it will enable it to be loaded. But they don't come with all the updates pre-loaded. As your friend said, Honda will know from your VIN whether there are any ECU updates available for your car... if the dealer you went to couldn't help with this, then go elsewhere. Last time I visited a dealer (in Telford) they told me about all outstanding recalls and available updates for my car - for free, and I hadn't even asked!

ECUs are often put on eBay by scrapyards.

Disconnecting the battery will only clear the ECU warning light, but leaves the stored code. As soon as the fault becomes active again the warning light will come back on.

OK I see but surely if there was any kind of update/recall for an 04 Accord then it would be known in general right? by anyone on here say. The VIN won't just give me specific updates for my car alone right? any update will be for all Accord's of that year. So would anyone on here know of anything that has cropped up for an 04 Accord?

You don't think its worth going to my dealer for them to hook it up to their HDS then.

OK well got the feedback from my Honda Dealer and they have calmly told me I need a new ecu at a cost of $1100.

An advice or help would be much appreciated right now.

Don't buy a new ECU for your car. Get one from a breakers and get it re-programmed to the keys and car.

You're ECU's memory (EEPROM) or silimar has failed. This is uncommon, but not impossible.

Exactly... look on eBay, like I said before.

Use of HDS will enable the replacement ECU to be programmed to your car. So you may still have to use the dealer to fit and set up the new ECU... why not discuss with them the option that you obtain and supply a secondhand ECU and they fit it and set it up. I think this would be the best way forward here.

OK OK, can you guys help me out here, I'm unsure what exaclty I'm looking for on ebay or what would be a 'solid' or reliable looking purchase. Your experience and knowledge will be better than mine guys :)

I'm sure it would be cheaper on ebay but would the part be reliable? how do we know its not got a problem itself hehe *gulp!*

I'm just trying to find out if my dealer would fit the part if I got it myself, gotta check for obvious reasons.

A breaker might be a bit more risky no?

I'm not sure where you might get a secondhand one other than someone breaking a car... the ones for sale on eBay will be from a breakers. ECU problems are fairly rare, so you can be fairly confident of getting one that works OK (e.g. the car would be being broken for other reasons).

I understand a dealer would be likely to not offer a warranty on the work, but I'd expect one to be willing to fit it as a 'labour only' job... definitely worth discussing this first. ECUs are easy to change if you fancy a DIY, but you will need to get it recoded to your car by someone with appropriate diagnostic equipment (and the necessary knowledge).

Looking on ebay and can't find anything, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for or how to describe it without bringing up loads of other things :blush:

Find your current ECU Honda part number and use that as your eBay search. You'll either need to have a look at yours, or enter your reg into the Lings website to get their part number and then (with advice from me or someone else who knows the trick) convert that number to a Honda part number... see www.lingshondaparts.com

I've just done that (but not sure exactly what model/spec you have, so guessed at 2.0 comfort manual) and came up with Honda part number 37820-RBA-E41... then I put that into an eBay search to find similar Honda ECUs. But there is a range of different ECUs depending on your actual model/spec, so you need to be absolutely sure (best to look at the one you have, I think). But you'll get an idea of availability and cost.

EDIT - if I could post links on TA I would, but a site problem prevents me doing this... sorry.

Is it a 2.0 or 2.4? My brother is selling a 2.4 ecu

Hi guys, my car is the...2004 Honda Accord, 2.0 (1998cc), saloon, sport, auto (tiptronic), couldn't find ecu on the Lings site though, unless its called something else which I'm not noticing.

I didn't realise you needed a part number, will it say in the manual? is the ecu located near the fault reader terminal under passenger seat?

Is it ecu or ecm? on dealer paperwork it says ecm.

What do you guys reckon to places like Europarts? I actually have a europarts store down the road from me :)

The one he has is also from an auto although I believe from a 2.4

The one we have for sale is the same but ending G55

My dad spoke to a Honda dealer in Sheffield and this guy told him that the part would have to be build especially for my car and it would take until next Feb 2015! They also quoted more than my dealer! and gave me a new part number of 37010 RBA 407.

My dealer said nothing of this so I'm unsure if he's right :/
I never trust dealers that much.

Ah here. Just get a replacment from a breakers. I wouldn't mind that waffle from the dealer.

Having probs finding one right now :/
Abbey Motorsport (my garage) were looking for me and found a couple on ebay in the US but said they were unsure if they'd work with my car.