What's new

Brake Upgrades

Barts024

Members
Reaction score
Car
03 2.4 Accord Type S
Hi all Im due a pad and disc change soon on my 2003 type s but was just wondering what type of discs and pads work well? Ive been looking at drilled and grooved discs but not sure what pads yet. Also whilst im at it has anyone upgraded their callipers to dc5 brembos are they all straight fit or will they need modifying to fit?

If you get drilled or grooved discs you can wave goodbye to pads on a regular basis since they just eat through them. Personally I would only do that to real performance stuff and instead of ggoing mad, get yourself a nice set of Brembo's and pads. You could go down the EBC colour pads route and get some EBC discs to match them.

Here's a chart Black being the cheapest OFC...

EBCBremsentemperaturtabelleklein.jpg

StevieB said:
Sounds like a better option i think. Will the dc5 brembos fit the accord?
I have no idea, i'd just get decent branded OEM discs and pads, you can't go far wrong. The Accord's are one of the best stopping cars i'm told and if it's anything like my 6th gen, all you need is decent OEM's. Brembo, EBC, Mintex, they are all meant to provide really good stock stopping power.

If you really insist on upgrading them, bare in mind you will have to let your insurance company know (and that will often result in a rise im premium, don't ask how making the car stop better does that but oh well), and you will have to look into what fits and what doesn't which could be a nightmare and I can't really help there myself i'm afraid. I can only offer my personal opinion and frankly, I don't think a non-performance car needs them. I'd just bare in mind about the drilled/grooved discs will eat pads alot faster.

Solvalou said:
I have no idea, i'd just get decent branded OEM discs and pads, you can't go far wrong. The Accord's are one of the best stopping cars i'm told and if it's anything like my 6th gen, all you need is decent OEM's. Brembo, EBC, Mintex, they are all meant to provide really good stock stopping power.

If you really insist on upgrading them, bare in mind you will have to let your insurance company know (and that will often result in a rise im premium, don't ask how making the car stop better does that but oh well), and you will have to look into what fits and what doesn't which could be a nightmare and I can't really help there myself i'm afraid. I can only offer my personal opinion and frankly, I don't think a non-performance car needs them. I'd just bare in mind about the drilled/grooved discs will eat pads alot faster.
Because they ***ume that if you want it to stop quicker it's because you want to drive it faster :lol: .

dc5 brembo's will fit but you need to modify them to fit... Google search it and you should find the necessary how to. Another good up grade can be fitting ATR callipers, no mod needed but just need to use your carriers and ATR pads, although you will need to upgrade to 300mm discs for this.

I have moments when I feel the accord brakes fare fine, but sometimes I think they've too much fade!!

I think I'll be holding out for a cheap set of ATR callipers as the the dc5 ones can be expensive still along with the pads...

Mr Honda said:
dc5 brembo's will fit but you need to modify them to fit... Google search it and you should find the necessary how to. Another good up grade can be fitting ATR callipers, no mod needed but just need to use your carriers and ATR pads, although you will need to upgrade to 300mm discs for this.

I have moments when I feel the accord brakes fare fine, but sometimes I think they've too much fade!!

I think I'll be holding out for a cheap set of ATR callipers as the the dc5 ones can be expensive still along with the pads...
You can use Accord Type R Brakes and pads on a CL7? Personally I wouldn't mix old with new (well I suppose you could get NOS ones).

Don't go green stuff, there are very poor pads, both myself and my brother tried them on our civics. Worse than Oem. Not sure on the other EBC ranges

Great pads are ferodo DS2500, carbone Lorraine RC5+, hawks are supposed to be good as well.

Don't go green stuff, there are very poor pads, both myself and my brother tried them on our civics. Worse than Oem. Not sure on the other EBC ranges

Great pads are ferodo DS2500, carbone Lorraine RC5+, hawks are supposed to be good, Dixel as well but they are expensive.

Solvalou said:
You can use Accord Type R Brakes and pads on a CL7? Personally I wouldn't mix old with new (well I suppose you could get NOS ones).
Yes, the ATR calipers are twin pots, there's plenty of people with that upgrade going round.

gwailo said:

Great pads are ferodo DS2500, carbone Lorraine RC5+, hawks are supposed to be good, Dixel as well but they are expensive.
Really? Are you sure they wern't fakes or wrongly installed? They have excellent write-ups in the mags.

I got them through GSmotorsport (4-pot HighSpec caliper brake conversion) and my bro got them thought the EBC web site

They faded quickly and brake pad deposits on the disc surface made them feel warped, which they weren't

For a budget pad I also found Black Diamond good.

gwailo said:
I got them through GSmotorsport (4-pot HighSpec caliper brake conversion) and my bro got them thought the EBC web site

They faded quickly and brake pad deposits on the disc surface made them feel warped, which they weren't

For a budget pad I also found Black Diamond good.
Were they used on EBC discs? Was it a smooth disc or drilled?

Not for the 4pot conversation, they were used on a 300 mm slotted rotas on bells. After a disc skim I'm now running DS2500 pads and they have been faultless

Think my Bro had the discs but it was about several years ago so can't really remember.

Anyone tried the EBC BSD Blades discs with yellow stuff pads, will this combination be suitable for street use?

Mr Honda said:
the CL9 already have 300mm discs i thought? Does anyone know if just swapping out the calipers with ATR calipers works fine? Also are the carriers the same aswell? Twin pot should really help stopping the accord!! Thanks! :)

I just found this tutorial actually which answers my questions...hope this helps you all :)

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/39-review-diy-accord-type-r-caliper-upgrade/

Have to agree with one of the posts above, ferodo ds2500 are great pads, cant speak for my accord yet as I haven't long had it but on my integra there a step above anything else I've tried, along with DBA disks.

Bob