What's new

Wobble in 4th gear under hard acceleration

Accord-EX

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-CTDI EX
Hi,

I've noticed that under hard acceleration (most noticeable in 4th gear) there is quite a lot of wobble from the front (passenger) side of the car. I can feel it through the steering wheel and also through the seat. The tires are about 75% and worn evenly so I don't think it is a tire or brakes issue either. The car runs really smooth in every way apart from this. When this wobble occurs if I back off the revs it stops but when I put the foot down again it comes back on.

Any suggestions?

I am pointing in the direction of drive shafts but this is only a stab in the dark

Cheers,
Paddy

Yes, it could be drive shafts. But I'd try the simple (aka cheap) things first:

1. Check tyre pressure
2. Swap tyres around
3. Try the same in 3rd gear (should be more pronounced if drive-shaft)
4. Check bushes.

Yes I'll try swapping the wheels around just encase, you never know!

All bushes and drop links were changed less than 6 months ago so this can be ruled out

I think mine are having same issue! Under hard acceleration, steering wheel wobble ... Only notice when over 60mph..

I had a wobble at higher speeds before and turned out to be a slow puncture. Check pressures on the tyres after you swap them and before you run them, also make sure the tyres are pointing in the right direction if you get me!!

Ok just an update on this issue:

1. Check tyre pressure - ALL PRESSURES WERE FINE 36PSI
2. Swap tyres around - TRIED THIS, NO DIFFERENCE. ALSO TRIED WITH A SPARE SET OF PENTAS AND NEW TYRES WHICH I HAVE, STILL NO DIFFERENCE
3. Try the same in 3rd gear (should be more pronounced if drive-shaft) - NOT EXACTLY NO.. IT ONLY HAPPENS BETWEEN 50 -65MPH, 3RD, 4TH AND 5TH GEAR ALL EXPERIENCE THE WOBBLE. 4TH GEAR IS POSSIBLY MORE NOTICABLE BUT THIS IS PROBABLY BECAUSE IT IS IN THE OPTIMUM TORQUE RANGE AT THIS SPEED. SO IT IS SPEED RELEATED WHILST UNDER ACCELERATION, NOT GEAR OR ONLY SPEED RELATED.
4. Check bushes. - BUSHES AND DROPLINKS ARE ALL NEW LESS THAN 6 MONTHS

So the wobble only occurs under acceleration between the speeds of 55 - 65 mph. At these speeds if I let off the accelerator it stops. Any ideas??

Also, I can hear a slight rattle when going over bumps from the front left side.. as I stated the bushes and drop links are all new so its not them

Inner CV joints cause the wobble. There have been people who have changed the whole shaft for non Honda ones and still had problems. Its a risk you take I suppose. I had the same issue. I opted to change the inner joints on both driver and passenger side with genuine honda parts. Been fine since.

I would say driveshafts beyond doubt.
I spent a good 6 months going through all the 'might be' ideas, only to find out that Honda are very aware of this problem (try calling Honda UK customer service - they know all about it, but won't offer help with the cost).
I went for genuine Honda replacements at approx. £1200 fitted - sorted the problem straight away :)

Sorry to hear about your driveshaft trouble dude.
It does sound as so the drive shaft is the issue. I think if you jack the front of the car up you should be able to see which drive shaft has the play in it.
I thought I had drive shaft issues too but it turned out to be a buckled alloy wheel.

I would go genuine but its definitely not cheap.
If not genuine I would go blue print - had these on my watch list just in case I needed to buy them
They are blueprint, I did email the dude and he confirmed. Good customer support too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301205871263?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

He also does singles too but whilst your there you might as well change both.

Just to complete this thread, it was the passenger driveshaft which was at fault. Alls now running sweet again! :D