What's new

DMF and clutch removal?

murphy_sy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 icdti
Hi everyone.
Don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction had a search on the forum but keeps coming back with nothing. Am looking for a diy guide on how to replace the dmf and clutch on my accord. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm sorry but is this post for real?

How do you propose to drive your car with no flywheel?

I guess it depends on how badly the DMF is vibrating and knocking? How do you know the DMF is shot?

The clutch change is a very big job, with a lot of serious disassembly. I recall that Fahad (f6had) posted a thread with pictures taken when his clutch was replaced a few years ago... it'll give you a good idea of the scale and complexity.

I just did a clutch change with a mate on his drive, we had 2 hydraulic jacks and 6 axle stands.

We managed to do it but it took us 16 hours to complete.

We did it by raising the whole front end while letting the engine drop down and splitting the gearbox at ground level, it was a ***** of a job but it saved me over £600 in labour against taking it to Honda to do.

Coincidentally, on the way home my reverse gear synchromesh and the solenoid that stops you selecting reverse while travelling forward went and I ended up taking it into Honda to sort as I didn't have the time or patience to be doing it all over again.

Lesson of the day - let someone else do the sonofabitch jobs lol.

Kudos for attempting but yes I could've told you this..

If we are talking diesel then I doubt the solenoid failure was coincidence, more likely you guys damaged something in the process.

Haha, I was planning on doing it on the road in a week, I am also upgrading my gearbox from 5 speed to 6 speed while I am at it. I know you have to drop the sub frame to do it. I genuinely cant justify paying £1000+ to Honda Chiswick, in just labour. After I have already spent £480 on a DMF and clutch.

If you do it yourself, make sure you take load of pics. It is a big job on these as the sub frame has to be dropped but that said its not impossible. However the loading of the clutch is important on the diesel and honda does have this part. Again i'm not saying that it can't be done manually. I've done a fir few clutches on my drive and the theory is easy. Its the weight of the box etc that really wears you down. Take into account though it will take you all day if relying on jacks and axle stands.

Have you asked a normal garage for labour costs?

Trouble is, I don't trust garages in London, so far every garage I have used seems to rip you off, even if you know them. I don't mind spending a few days swapping a clutch + flywheel. The gearbox is pretty heavy, I was planning on using an engine crane to lift it and drop it. I work on the street which is difficult enough due to the road gradient.

I will take a load of pictures as I have done with these injectors I have been working on.

I will be using Honda's workshop manual when disassembling.

It should be a fun few days!