What's new

coil light on and not revving above 2k revs

qm2014

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda
HI i'm a newbie when it comes to Honda cars and not having a good start, so hoping for some comfort and info..

i have recently bought a 2nd hand Honda Accord 2.2 ICDTi but have an issue with the coil light which has just come on.

I drove it this morning without any problems on the motorway but doing the same this evening the light started flashing and i was on go slow.. limpmode (which i came to learn after taking it to a mechanic)

1 the car was fine, when i bought it a couple of days ago? is it possible the last owner had this to hide and its only become apparent when trying to drive it on the motorway?

2 now he suggests to change the glow plug(s)

3 then put it on a computer to see why its on the go slow?

4 i have read its the fuel filter which causes most the problems like this (if that is the case, should i replace the fuel filter instead with this GENUINE one click here and ignore changing the glow plug for now?

what do i do? i'm totally confused.. help

edgeoftime said:
The fuel filter needs replacing, get a bosch one with 224 inscribed, To be absolutely confident go to Holdcroft Honda. In the meantime try squeezing the priming bulb, it should be rock hard. I am talking 7th gen. See you are in touch with Holdcroft but you could try Mr auto he is a lot lot cheaper.

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/?gclid=CNmxtbu4srsCFdLItAodcQUAbA

thanks for the reply, I just tried the car again and the coil light is off. and the car seems to be working normally.

I did top the car up yesterday with a full tank of Diesel.

How sure are you its the filter? i been reading other posts also and they suggest the same.

is it safe for the Bosch one or is Denso better?

where would i find this priming bulb and how do you mean it should be rocking hard?

apologies as i don't know much about cars

I agree that this is far likely to be the fuel filter, rather than the glowplugs (it is an oddity of the design that the coil symbol comes on for a range of faults!). You mechanic should have properly read and interpreted the ECU Diagnostic Trouble Codes... fuel filter-related codes are usually P1065 and/or P0087, while the common glowplug-related one is P1384. Maybe he could tell you what the code(s) were and you could update this thread?

If your diesel Accord is a pre-facelift (5 speed gearbox) then it's the Bosch fuel filter (part number ending in 442, actually) / Post-facelift (6 speed) needs the Denso filter.

he (my mechanic) did not put it on a computer, was just telling me what it might be.

thanks i've just ordered the bosch fuel filter.

if i get a full service done on the car, what things does the mechanic actually do? (as i have never had a car serviced before)
also how much roughly will i be looking at for a service ? i know they vary from person to person, so roughly or from experience i would appreciate the info.

final point.. the coil light is totally off, so seems like the flashing has stopped, so random.

Fahad mentioned this a lot of times, what does it mean if the light don't flash all the time?

thanks

It means the problem is transient or intermittent... light will then stay on until engine turned off and restarted. Then it'll stay off until the problem reoccurs again.

The service schedule will depend upon the mileage/age... some services are more thorough than others. I haven't got a clue how much this might cost, as I always do my own.

Odd that the mechanic didn't use an OBD2 reader to find the trouble code(s) when you went to the garage. I suggest you get your own reader from eBay... they're quite cheap.

Sorry about the bosch number I had them but in the wrong order LOL, THE PRIMING BULB IS on the bulk head above the air filter housing hiding behind a steel shield. Used on outboard motors(boats) if you have ever seen one. As Jon says simply by switching off and resting a couple of minutes will reset the system but replacing is much better and safer. Re servicing stay away from the "mechanic" you have been talking to, sounds like he comes from Barcelona.

Most likely fuel filter as already mentioned but have the codes read for absolute clarity

I was going to get a full service done, what things should i get done in the service?

currently i'm going to have

1 fuel filter replaced
2 oil changed
3 (unsure if i need to change the glow plugs- or should i get a diagnostic done first before i do a service?)
4 i was thinking glow plugs (how often do these get changed?) which glow plugs should i purchase?

what other things should i get done that i have missed out?

thanks for all the info and help so far from all of you.

Fuel Filter
Oil & Filter (0w/30 synthetic oil only)
Air Filter
Pollen Filter
Transmission Fluid (Honda MTF3)
Brake Fluid

Make sure you use dealer parts only

and that's a proper service

F6HAD said:
Fuel Filter
Oil & Filter (0w/30 synthetic oil only)
Air Filter
Pollen Filter
Transmission Fluid (Honda MTF3)
Brake Fluid

Make sure you use dealer parts only

and that's a proper service

thanks which site you recommend to get dealer parts from?
is that 2nd one meant to be just oil filter or is there a filter for the oil also?
do the glow plugs need changing or is that on a needs only basis?

Get dealer parts from Holdcroft Honda, who are an affiliate of TypeAccord and give us a good discount and free delivery... see their contact details in our 'affiliates' section and also contact a TA mod to obtain the current discount code.

Yes, there is a separate oil filter for the engine oil (nothing to do with the fuel filter).

Forget about the glowplugs for now... we don't think they are faulty. Even if there is a GP problem, it's often the relay anyway.

Jon_G said:
Get dealer parts from Holdcroft Honda, who are an affiliate of TypeAccord and give us a good discount and free delivery... see their contact details in our 'affiliates' section and also contact a TA mod to obtain the current discount code.

Yes, there is a separate oil filter for the engine oil (nothing to do with the fuel filter).

Forget about the glowplugs for now... we don't think they are faulty. Even if there is a GP problem, it's often the relay anyway.

thanks Jon will do, I was thinking get everything done at the same time.

I just drove it today and have had no issues with the coil light or anything..

strange.

That's often the way when things first begin to fail or play up.

If you got your own code reader then next time the light comes on you can find out why without the guesswork!