What's new

leaking head gasket?

mr_8o8

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2001
Hi there.

I'm currently trying to sell my Accord. The first person to view the car has said "Sorry but it looks like the head gasket is leaking". and walked away. I don't blame him if this is the case.

Unfortunately I have no idea, but to be honest it doesn't look too good. there's quite a bit of oil on the engine. a couple of photo's below.

The car has been driving fine for the last 6 months, and passed it's MOT at the end May? I have no idea how long it's been looking like this.

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks for your help!

2014-07-18125400.jpg

2014-07-18125410.jpg

That's not head gasket, thats just your rocker cover gasket leaking, probably old and worn out, £15 for a new one. If the head gasket was leaking you would have other issues and one easiest way to check is to open your oil filler cap and see if there is any mayonaise like residue.

My dad's Accord engine looks very similar to yours in that there is oil all around the rocker cover, been like that since he bought it and no issues with the engine, but not really advisable to keep it that way!

Just replace the rocker cover gasket and you are done. It's quite easy and cheap to repair!

you'll also need a tube of gasket sealant to put 4 blobs in the corner bits where the mating surface rises at each end to accommodate the camshaft (you'll know what I mean when you see it) - which will cost a fiver or so - plus maybe some engine cleaner to get the old oil off

Yup .. if selling it just get a rag and some degreaser ..give it a good clean up .. Let the next owner worry about changing it .

Thanks for the advise. i'll give it a wipe down i think n hope the next person viewing the car doesn't notice ;) thanks!