What's new

De-Tangoing Headlights Questions

Jack Sparrow

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2
Hi guys.

My HID's arrived yesterday and I'm thinking of de-tangoing the headlights at the same time of fitting the HID's (seeing as they'll be off the car).

Has anybody on here done this? I did it on my old Punto but the headlights on the Accord are a tiny bit more expensive should things go wrong!

I think I'll adopt the hairdryer technique this time though.

With the de-tangoing, obviously i'll need amber bulbs. I like the chrome amber bulbs. Will I need any resistor with this to prevent an error message? I know they're not LED but just thought i'd ask.

Cheers

I'll keep an eye on this as I want to do the same. I'm sure when I popped down to holdcroft honda today, the newer facelift 8th gen has clear indicators.

What is de-tangoing?

toffee_pie said:
and the point of this is.....?
I prefer the look without the amber.

You could apply that quote to any exterior modification. But thanks for your input

8th gen Accord isnt CAN bus, so any bulbs can be used, no errors come up.

Does anybody know the bulb code actually?

I've searched everywhere but all I find is the LED code (if doing the conversion)

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. So are you thinking of replacing the whole plastic piece?

don't see the point of doing this no more than the point of the guy who had a diesel insignia parked outside the complex here with some mad graffiti plastered over the diesel cap of the car and an angry bird dangling from the exhaust......

but each to their own!

toffee_pie said:
don't see the point of doing this no more than the point of the guy who had a diesel insignia parked outside the complex here with some mad graffiti plastered over the diesel cap of the car and an angry bird dangling from the exhaust......

but each to their own!
I think you cannot compare the two mods.

toffee_pie said:

but each to their own!
Personal choice really pal, if we all liked the same thing then we would all be driving Lexus is250's.

For me when i do a mod its the challenge of doing it and achieving something that isn't the norm.

And your comparison above is a little off mate, comparing apples with pears.

On the 8th gen it was originally only the type-s that had the de tango look as standard. As it was more desirable Honda could add it to the list of extras to justify the extra cost.

I had a fail with this this weekend.

My oven isn't big enough to whack the headlights in, so I resorted to a hairdryer. Again, they're that big that the hairdryer technique means you're covering that much area that the sealant cools before you've finished the whole headlight.

I need to find a friend with a big enough oven!

Racy Jace said:
you could get a box thats big enough to put a light in and use that to contain the heat when using the hair dryer.
That's a good idea actually. I'll see what containers I can find. It'll be at the weekend again unfortunately so watch this space!