What's new

Just converted to lpg

seanmellett

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
As the ***le suggested I've just switched to LPG and am fairly impressed so far. Nothing noticeable at all regarding engine performance. Switch over from petrol to LPG is unnoticeable. Power still seems excellent.

I do have a question or maybe a concern. I've read some sort of lubrication is a must. When I suggested this to the installer he swore up and down it was a waste of time and money. He said he could easily put in flashlube or the likes but it was an unnecessary expense and said the car starts in petrol and stays on for 4 minutes. This gives adequate lubrication and if I was concerned on long runs I could switch over to petrol for a few minutes every now and then. I'm confused as he would make a few extra bob installing it so it's not like he has a dog in the fight. I can go back to him and get it installed at anytime so I'm not too concerned that it won't be done if need be, Any thoughts?

LPG is a dry fuel and also burns a bit hotter than petrol. Over time cars can suffer from valve seat recession due to the lack of lubrication from the fuel which is why people fit flashlube or similar. Some cars are more prone than others depending on how hard the valve seats are from the factory.

Its pretty cheap to add a flashlube kit for peace of mind, but it depends on how long you intend keeping the car and would you mind paying to have the head removed in the future and new valve seats cut in.

How long the engine runs on petrol from cold and when it switches to LPG is usually determined by a preset coolant temperature which is adjustable in the software, and each time it is running on petrol its not saving you any money.

I was quoted 350 euro for the flashlube kit & install. I questioned the guy that it seem fairly steep and he says he has to take out the manifold, do some drilling etc etc. When you know little it's hard to argue. I was back to him this morning as the check engine light came on due to it running lean - he did warn me it could happen - just needed some fine tuning. All going well since. I'm confused as hell with the gauges tho....the fuel gauge was going down all the time which made me think there was something wrong and it was burning petrol and the distance to empty was going down too. The gauge went all the way down and then reset and popped back up again it seems to the correct position and heading down again. The distance to empty is still going down and is at 15 km to empty with about a third of a tank in it. I'm thinking this has to do with it thinking it's burning petrol instead of gas. I should add I'm planning on keeping this car for 4 years and then handing it over to the missus.

I am lost ,, I dunno what to do .. It's not petrol , it's not diseasel .... I dunno if it flame on or pats on the back all round :unsure:

Your obviously concerned as you have raised the question, for peace of mind you might want to go a head with the install for long term protection, that way it wont be bouncing around in the back of your mind.

Also call up some other LGP installers and get a feel for what the general decision would be if they we're installing the kit on your car

gwailo said:
Your obviously concerned as you have raised the question, for peace of mind you might want to go a head with the install for long term protection, that way it wont be bouncing around in the back of your mind.

Also call up some other LGP installers and get a feel for what the general decision would be if they we're installing the kit on your car
You're correct....I am fairly concerned and will more than likely go ahead with the install for peace of mind. Just can't fathom why he was so adamant it wasn't needed....he's making money off the install so one would ***ume he would push it more. He reckons seat recession is gonna happen no matter what - you're just kicking the can down the road.

350 does sound very expensive and the manifold would have come off more for fitting the injectors than it ever would need to for fitting the flashlube.
There is an LPG forum if you Google it and some good installers on there that will give you good advice

seanmellett said:
As the ***le suggested I've just switched to LPG and am fairly impressed so far. Nothing noticeable at all regarding engine performance. Switch over from petrol to LPG is unnoticeable. Power still seems excellent.

I do have a question or maybe a concern. I've read some sort of lubrication is a must. When I suggested this to the installer he swore up and down it was a waste of time and money. He said he could easily put in flashlube or the likes but it was an unnecessary expense and said the car starts in petrol and stays on for 4 minutes. This gives adequate lubrication and if I was concerned on long runs I could switch over to petrol for a few minutes every now and then. I'm confused as he would make a few extra bob installing it so it's not like he has a dog in the fight. I can go back to him and get it installed at anytime so I'm not too concerned that it won't be done if need be, Any thoughts?
I had my LPG install on my 2.4 accord 6 years ago by a professional installer, they too said LPG is a dry fuel and burns hotter than normal petrol. i have always topped up the flashlube and never had an issue, ive almost done 110, 000 miles on LPG so far.

I must also stress that it is important to replace both (Liquid & Vapour) filters every 12 months, it makes all the difference in your vehicle running smooth!

I'm on LPG, don't worry about the petrol gauge going down but obviously make sure you've always got some petrol in the tank, I have 'run out' numerous times with the car about to die, idling down the road waiting for the LPG to kick in, then it's full throttle to the petrol station!

What sort of MPG are you getting?

Hi all,

I also have a type s converted to LPG (in our country almost all systems are italian - AEB ECU which is the same as King in UK). I also have superlube (similar to flashlube) and according to several garages, it's absolutely necessary for these K series and other honda engines. Actually, on the flashlube website there is a document with some CR-V and accord tests http://www.flashlube.com/images/stories/pdfs/valvesaverkit-testresultsupdatenew.pdf. The problem with the petrol gauge dropping is also a common one, but no solution found yet :(.

I have also installed some fancy lpg "perfect blue" filter which is said to protect the injectors from grease. It's not that expensive and looks better IMO than the regular ones.