What's new

Accord Noise

nodrogs

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2
Can anyone help pinpoint the origin of this noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5zXyTeZY3M

It started last year for a week or two and then went away but has recently restarted. Doesn't change with engine speed and I think it is coming from the alternator or ac compressor.

Thanks!

A bit hard to tell with a recording of a Diesel clatter but have you had the Aux belts replaced anytime soon?

This sounds like a metal clatter.
Try putting a long screwdriver on to the engine where you think the noise is coming from.

This is the diesel so chain not belt. Chain has been replaced and engine only ever on 0w 30 since and the engine itself is ok. The noise seems to be coming from the aux belt area (which has never been changed). It might be hard to tell from the video but the noise is a sort of clicking/almost like sparking.

If you have some WD-40 or GT85 (or something similar), try spraying it on the belt and see if the noise is till there. My first car did this and the noise suddenly went away (only to come back a few miles later), showing that it was the belts wearing out causing play in the pulleys thus the noise. Being as it was a Primera, it had a chain timer too so I was semi-sure it wasn't that.

Forget WD-40, change the alternator clutch and also consider replacing the belt with a shorter one so you can remove one pulley.

Thanks guys. I've got a shorter belt coming (which I should have done ages ago)! Also getting a used alternator from a breakers with a 3 month warranty. Hope this sorts it.

I had exactly the same noise and changing the alternator clutch/pulley fixed it. Changing it yourself is a bit tricky, but the clutch itself was €50 (= ~£40).

I know this exact noise. It the alternator bearing packing up.

Replacec the alternator and change the aux routing to the shorter belt and it will be sorted :).

Im sure i put a fairly extensive 'how to' on here some time ago :)

Just an update, changed the alternator and replaced with the shorter belt. Noise totally gone now.

I have the same problem ( started 2 days ago ). Today I changed the pulley , but the noise is still there. Guess it may be the bearings ....

I've just modified my belt routing... the revised shorter belt length is 1785mm, meaning that the Gates/universal part number is 7PK1785. A lot of suppliers (but not all) only recognise this part as only suitable for Renault models and will insist you need the longer belt!

I ordered a Dayco 7PK1785 belt from CarParts4Less (via eBay) for £12.60. They actually sent a 7PK1784, but the missing 1mm is well within the tensioner range (and, I suggest, the manufacturing tolerance of the belt).

Thanks Jon_G . I was just in a search for this size. In another topic I saw 7PK1788 length, but now when you have yours fitter I will buy 7PK1785

Hi Yordan, the belt tensioner has a very large range of travel. A few millimetres either way won't much matter... I'm sure someone could fit a 1784mm, 1785mm or 1788mm belt and it would be absolutely fine. They probably aren't even made perfectly accurately anyway.

Hope that replacing the belt will fix the issue with the noise. I really do not want to open the alternator for replacing the bearings :(

I don't think changing the belt will repair the alternator, if the bearing have already been damaged. Sorry.

There's a thread about swapping the belts and removing the unwanted idler, written by 'TheHole' a while ago.

You can find this thread by putting the word 'shorter' into the TA search box (select 'forums' when searching) and it'll come up at the bottom of the page.