What's new

any thoughts on my heavy clutch?

liamski

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-CTDI Diesel
Hi guys,

thought I'd pick a few helpful brains on here. I have a 2005 2.2 cdti saloon with 107k. The clutch feels quite heavy to me and it's been like this since I bought it at around 101k. I've tried a couple of clutches in other Accords and they are both significantly lighter than mine, one with 130k and never had the clutch etc replaced.

I thought it might be a worn pressure place (worn centre plate metal springs) resulting in reduced 'leverage' when the clutch pedal is pressed. Someone suggested to me that it might be the slave cylinder. The clutch is not slipping, no strange noises etc and changes gear fine with fresh MTF oil recently. I don't really want to put a new clutch kit in only to find it's made no difference. Any thoughts or feedback on this would be much appreciated. I know there are many helpful and knowledgeable folk on here!

easiest and cheapest solution will be to have the clutch fluid changed. However in my experience this points to a worn pressure plate.

Again lets see what other guys think. The slave cylinder could be at fault but hard to diagnose that when you say there is no issues changing gears

It isn't simply that the release fork is out of grease and or PP is getting past it? I remember doing the clutch on my S2000 and I'd re-greased everything when stripped. When I went to start it, I nearly put my foot through the floor! The clutch felt way lighter.

If you think about it all you are doing by pushing the clutch is applying force to the PP, there are only so many mechanisms involved.

Starting with the fluid is an quick and cheap test. Get some grease on the CSC and release lever also.

thanks folks for the feedback..it's not an uprated clutch by the way.

The clutch fluid was changed recently but I think I'll try to get some grease down there.

I suspect ultimately it's the pressure plate.