What's new

DPF LIGHT IS ON HELP.

kahn786

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Hi
i bought 2008 honda accord es gt 2.2 i-dtec over a week ago and the dpf light has just come on have taken it for long drive on the motorway in low gears high revs but the problem persist, the previous owner replaced the dpf in january 2014 at a cost of £800, the car drives fine but slight loss in power aswell as cruise control it slightly slow uphill.

I rang previous owner to find out if the replacement dpf is covered by warranty but was told the gurantee on dpf is not transferrable to new owner.

help me please should a new dpf act like this after only 15000 miles since replacement, should i try diesel particulate cleaner or regenerator.

I remove these on a regular basis, drop me a line for pricing and details.

I don't want to remove it because there coming in on mot checks now.
I would want to solve this problem

Not sure about the oil used should I get an oil to a low sap oil, any recommendations to good quality oil.

It's already in the mot visual check, but they can't tell if you do the job right. I'm not condoning doing anything wrong, but you should Do some research on here, many members are having the same issue and if it's happening so soon after a replacement it will just keep happening I'm afraid.

Do not ignore the problem or constantly try and force regenerate as longer term you will cause turbo damage and possibly engine failure. Trust me I've seen it happen many times now.

Your other option is to replace it again.

Am I reading your post right, you've fitted a non genuine replacement DPF?

Figure one shows the two separate warning lights that can be illuminated for this system.

A) At less than 7g the DPF system will automatically clean itself whilst driving once the DPF is up to correct operating temperature.

B) At 7-11g the system will attempt to clean itself whilst driving regardless of DPF temperature.

C) At 11-15g the system will alert the driver by blinking the DPF warning light on the dashboard. The owner should then follow the driving instruction explained in the owner’s manual to help clean the system. What is it? This requires a constant speed of at least 37mph to be maintained for up to 15 minutes. The best thing you can do is go for a 20 mile motorway run. Majority of the times this cures the warning.

D) Above 16g the system will shut down to prevent damage due to a blockage occurring and the warning light will then be permanently illuminated.(Picture A) .If the owners continues driving with this light on permanently then the message may change to the exclamation mark symbol.(Picture B) .At this time you will need to go to the Honda dealer for them to hook up the HDS system to check whether you has a system fault or blocked . If they find the system above 16g then carry out a forced regeneration and check if there are any outstanding software and ECU updates.

I think there is a lot of confusion over which dpf symbol is on .... Just because it has came on does not mean it is blocked completely , in some cases it comes on because the cars engine was switched off while it was performing its normal regen cycle

Hi 8thgenfan
The light that is on my dash is of a system check filter with smoke and a exclamation mark

I believe that is scenario B , i dunno why its showing up as a stupid smiley face in my post ,
Ive had this symbol twice in my ownership of my car and both times its cleared , granted the 2nd time a little longer , obviously if this becomes more frequent then the option is there to have the dpf removed , there are loads of members on here who have had it done through FAHAD and are more than happy with the results , its the flashing light you need to be aware of ...

Mark - that's useful info, thanks for posting.

Imran - if you've fitted a non genuine DPF, this is possibly also contributing to the problem. DPF's are expensive for a reason, they have very precious materials in them and a possibly inferior aftermarket component is almost certainly going to play havoc with the ECU's monitoring of the temperature and pressure thresholds within the chamber.

Given that Honda's own DPF's are far from a perfect design, I wouldn't chance a copy part here.

Remember every time your DPF is regenerating, it is simply bringing the ash content down to an acceptable limit, it isn't actually clearing the cartridge out. This is a common misconception amongst drivers. And when the system is forced regenerated, again it isn't cleaning it out, but just bringing it down to an acceptable level again.

Every time you force regenerate it, you reduce it's life further. In my experience (which is quite substantial with these), you should remove or replace if you want to preserve the life of your engine.

Hi
I rang honda dealers I told them about the issue they said its possibly first stage of dpf fault which they can diagnose and regenerate for £50.
Fingers crossed this the case.

Let's hope so but you need low SAPS oil as well if you don't have it otherwise it will just happen again. Good luck.

Yep first stage towards total failure I'm afraid. If the light is on again within weeks of this regeneration, don't regenerate it again.

Just got from honda dealers dpf was blocked they done 2 force regens and its all sorted now, problem was poor quality engine oil used so they say.

I wish you luck, but two forced regens in a row has only made it worse. My guess is it will return within the next fortnight..

Use any decent low SAPS oil as Cliff has said, brand is not so important.

Honda recommend using full synthetic 0w/30 with the c2 or c3 ACEA approval, this is low saps oil.

A lot of the Castrol fully synth range is c2 or 3 rated.

All 3 Brindley Hondas by me only use 5w30! I tried explaining that Honda recommend 0w30 but they didn't care! Funnily enough they've had loads of people come in with dpf faults ££££!

I did say regeneration is only biding time. Just make sure you are using a reputable tuner for this ecu.

0w is merely an indication that the oil will flow slightly more readily than 5w at very low (i.e. sub-zero) starting temperatures... this will be of benefit if you subsequently take the car somewhere cold in Northern/Eastern Europe, but not normally very significant in the normal UK temperature range (the Honda recommendation covers use across the whole of Europe). Personally I do always use 0w-30 in my 7th gen as I don't see the point in making trivial savings that might then bite me on the backside if I was to take my car over to the continent during winter, or we had a particularly cold winter here like we did a few years ago (I once started her up at -12 degrees C). But - in defence of Brindley Honda - I can't see how this could possibly affect the DPF.

kahn786 said:
Hi
i bought 2008 honda accord es gt 2.2 i-dtec over a week ago and the dpf light has just come on have taken it for long drive on the motorway in low gears high revs but the problem persist, the previous owner replaced the dpf in january 2014 at a cost of £800, the car drives fine but slight loss in power aswell as cruise control it slightly slow uphill.

I rang previous owner to find out if the replacement dpf is covered by warranty but was told the gurantee on dpf is not transferrable to new owner.

help me please should a new dpf act like this after only 15000 miles since replacement, should i try diesel particulate cleaner or regenerator.

you left out selling it to buy a petrol, the 8th gen diesel accord is not even very economical, the fact your car went wrong after a week says it all.