What's new

Engine swap 2002 Accord

Knut

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
I am thinking about an engine swap in a 2002 Accod hatchback with the F18B2 engine and manual transmission. This engine is now burning oil at a high rate and also hesitates on revs above 1500RPM. I have tried just about everything and it still won't run clean and proper.

So what would be the best ( and easiest ) engine swap? What would you recommend? I could go for another F18B2, but it's tempting to find an engine with a bit more power as long as I don't have to modify the entire car.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

You could fit a H22 from a Prelude or Accord Type-R for not a lot of money, but you'll still have to swap looms, ECU and other ancillarys, as well as swapping or modifying your subframe as well as changing the hubs.

To be honest, I would just swap in another F18 and get on with life, as really you would want to upgrade the brakes & suspension if you went down the H22 route.

Ok - thanks for the reply! Just another question: Would I need the ECU from the "donor" car/engine or would the one in my car be ok? What I am thinking is to get an F18B2 ( I have one at hand with just 62000km on it - for £480,00 ) and just use all the wiring/harnesses that sits in the car. Would I need to re-program anything, or is it just plug and play?

If you will stick with another F18B2, it's just plug and "pray" ;)
Maybe it's a good idea to replace the timing belt while the engine is not installed.

I will plug and "pray" :D Hopefully it will be an easy swap. The rest of the car is in very good condition, so that is why I spend the extra cash to keep it for a few more years.

Yes an F18 would go straight in. A H22 would require a donor ECU and wiring loom.