What's new

Tyre wear

McDowell

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Hey guys

I bought a new type s last march. I cant say a bad word about it, except that it eats tyres.

When I bought the car it came with 18 inch signa alloys with yokohama advansport's. I'm not a hard driver and have great respect for my car, but i was only able to get 6,000 miles from the front set. The back two had no significant ware.
I changed the front two to bridgestone potenza's.

Same story again 6,000 miles the front two needed changing. The back two have another bit of life in them yet. I now have nokian on the front to see how they work. On both occasions the tyres had even wear on them. The alignment not far out on both occasions.

I suppose what i would like to know has anyone had this problem and if so do you know of a solution to getting better millage.

Thanks
Derek

bought mine new in feb 2009. yokohama db 225/50R17 from new. 20000miles later the fronts are almost down to the minimum but the rears still have plenty left on them. will soon have to change the fronts but am un-decided as to what to put on it this time. would like the quietest tyres if possible.

Are the tyres wearing evenly?
Yeah the tyres are wearing evenly. The guy in the tyre center reckons no mater what I put on it will be the same. But there is cars with more power and torque and must get more than 6,000 miles to a set.

Interesting one for sure, I havent heard that the 8th Gen is heavy on the tyres in fact my neighbour was boasting how well his are wearing the other day.

Perhaps its time to get the suspension checked out my Honda to see if there is a reason for such a high wear rate.

Hi Derek.
I would get a 4 wheel laser alignement done. If the track is very slightly out of line you wont notice a pull from the steering wheel and it will eat the tyres away alot faster.
Only other recommendation would be check that they are not over or under inflated. Some service station tyre pressure gauges are way off calibration so make sure you check it somewhere that looks after there equipment.
A 4wheel alignement should be quite cheap and would rule out a probable cause.

Good point mark check the tyre pressures 1st.I have 17" wheels with yokohama tyres and 1 get about 13k on the fronts.

Guys hes said that they are worn evenly and his alligment check was okay, this would rule out improper geometry.

If the toe angle was incorrect ect it would show as uneven wear depending on how it was out.

Well, I am getting 15 - 20K from a set that are not worked hard during the week (wifey driving), but thrashed to ******y when I drive the car at the weekend. Up until the A-Spec got fitted at HH the wear has been even, but want to get it onto a Hunter rig soon to make sure all is well.

I suggest you try Michelin Pilot Sports next time round. Can't comment on road noise - that is the next experiment when I hopefully try a set of Falkens

I heard Kumho tyres are hard compound, so wear rate is lower. Not much i can reccomend because its a new car, nothing too serious can be wrong, only thing springs to mind is, are the brakes rubbing/slightly on? this would increase tyre load and wear, but evenly

Has anyone considered that this driver maybe just has a heavy right foot B) ?

Faddy your probably right, type S diesel owner and all that.

I don't mean he's a bad driver, but I had the same issue with my ATR - went through tyres for fun and I never wheel spun it.

No I got what you meant mate just if you pay the extra for a type s diesel 8th gen your gonna be into the odd spirited blast.

I was looking at the 452's but also interested in the Kumho Ku31 run flats from Cam Skill.

And as mentioned earlier and often, I have a heavy right foot, and the Michelin did very well; although admittedly I do not do the bulk of the Accord miles unless it is a long journey.

Why else would I have S1 and Aspec? :lol: :lol:

Me? I tend to have them at 36 all round. I like to have them as high as is possible whilst still maintaining even wear. It is hard to judge with small profiles though :lol:

What's wrong with that? Wear is consistent and the handling is fan dabby dosey...

Sticker says my car has 16" rims.... My Tranny has pressures on the sticker that make the van handle like a whale with an ear infection.

Pressures are down to personal preference, rubber, driving style, loadings, weather, and other variables that makes a sticker (gratefully received of course :lol:) guidance only in my experience.

Oh, and I checked them three weeks ago, a week before I got my new rubber put on the back and front nearside; so, in light of the weather I shall be doing them again at the weekend, but don;'t want to loose all that lovely nitrogen that Costco inflated them with :lol:.

Lummy, I'll be lollaping all over the road with those ;). You gotta have a bit of bite in the ol' steering?

Look forward to the sticker :D guess you have figured out my address?

What's my inside leg measurement then?