What's new

2004 i-ctdi timing chain ?

Afteris

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hello, today i noticed this sound coming from my car. What can be couse of this? Can it be timing chain?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGKaxT3qO3Y&feature

Take the belt out.. if noise is still there then propably chain... but to be honest i don'ylt think it is chain. More like bearings in alternator etc

It isn't the same as the noise that mine made when the timing chain was worn. There's also an oil pump drive chain that can wear, but I'm not sure what that noise would sound like.

I completely agree with what Ballus/Marcin has suggested.

Chain noise will be much worse when the engine is fully hot and idling, as the hydraulic tensioners rely upon oil pressure.

Thanks for suggestion, gonna try to take the belt out asap and get back here with results.

While your at it with the belt fit the shorter option, I did mine the other week much quieter now, although I still have noise on a restart when hot, I put it down to the alternator pulley trying to catch up with the engine because the noise goes away in a few seconds on it's own, no input from me i.e revving the engine or anything. What is the rev counter telling you at that speed? as the clanking sounds about half engine speed.

So, i want outside and recorded sound while accelerating. Quality is not great as its pretty windy outside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68RBIg8sy7A&feature
Opinions?

P.S sorry for double post, somehow didint noticed "edit" button.

Quality of sound is bad and in my opinion it is hard to say what is going on. But sounds weird

Actually, that now does sound much more like my car did before the chains were replaced (my timing chain had stretched and the TC tensioner arm was worn). Was this recorded with a hot engine? Does it sound so bad when cold?

But it is hard to be sure when listening like this.

Taking to local dealer for diagnostic today. This was recorded like 3 hours after driving it, so i cant say that it was on hot or on cold, more like cold, than hot.

I'm confused... after 3 hours of driving the engine must have been as hot as it ever gets? This difference between a hot and cold engine and the resulting changes in the noise are important factors to help diagnose the problem.

If you can't take the belt off yourself to do the test mentioned earlier then it's probably best to take it to a dealer.

I think he means it had been parked up for 3 hours after driving

There are 2 chains... one goes up to the camshafts and the other goes down to the oil pump and balancer shaft ***embly. The cam chain can be easily checked by removing the small cover plate on the chain case which allows the tensioner piston to be inspected (the further out it sticks, the more worn the chain is) and the tensioner itself can by replaced via this hole... on your 2004 model the tensioner has ratcheting teeth that can sometimes wear and cause the problem, it which case this could be a simple job.

@Dave G - you're right, I did misunderstand the comment. But your explanation is obviously correct.

Knowing the difference between the sound intensity when both hot or cold is an important diagnostic. Recording it 3 hours after the car was last driven isn't as clear cut.