What's new

MP3 player aux connection

astrozombies

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda
Hi all,

I have a '04 Tourer exec with premium sound system (non sat-nav) and want to connect a sony mp3 player.

What is the cheapest/easiest way to go about doing this? Happy to control via the mp3 player itself rather than steering wheel/head unit controls if needs be.

Thanks

Rob

I used from audio think it was about 50 quid but that was for the premium unit with navy so you would have to check if it's compatible.

Grom website doesn't seem to work. I think they may have been taken over or changed their name to Carputer Shop. Website is www.carputer-shop.co.uk
According to their 'Check your model' PDF, they seem to have units for CD changer models. Currently end of line basic one is £30, so will call them this week and double check that it works.
I didn't think it would be an option, with an internal changer, but then I noticed that the switch said "CD/Radio/Aux", so it got my hopes up. Unless the switch is common to all units, with and without internal CD changer. Hope not.

I'll update when I've spoken to them. They're closed over the weekend, which is odd.

I got mine from carputershop so I can recommend them to anyone they were really helpful and it turned up within 2 days. I thought about getting the Bluetooth one but the reviews for the ap needed to use it were not great so I just got the basic 3.5 mm aux input and added a remote to it to skip tracks.

When you on install it an press aux it changes from cd which is the internal multichanger to CDC which is the aux input . do check it's Compatible tho because mine is premium sound with navy and built in multichanger so slightly different.

It's not hard.Just need take off box under your player

I have a plug in aux device if you want to but it. I had the same issue as you but i have a double din stereo now. I paid about £50 or £60 for it 5 months ago

mattster said:
For the price, I'd say it's worth a punt. Which is why mine is currently winging it's way from China! :) I'll pop up a post once I've got it fitted to let you all know if it's been a decent purchase or not....
Arrived this morning - fitted within half an hour and working very well! :)

Definitely worth the money compared with the other ones that do the same job for 3 times the price.

This is the link to the one I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Car-USB-Aux-in-Adapter-Radio-Interface-for-Honda-Accord-Civic-Odyssey-S2000-/141466696032?

My Accord is an 04 exec without Nav. CD changer port is on the bottom of the headunit, access by removing the ashtray and pocket (where the dvd drive is on nav-equipped cars)

I'm away now to stick my music collection onto usb sticks!

Also - it's got the aux input as well as USB, both work fine. Only minor annoyance would be having to remove the USB key to get the aux input to work, but that's just me being lazy...

I'm curious as to how you've positioned it. Did you hide the body fit behind the headunit or place it in the cabinet (pocket)? Then did you have to drill holes big enough to pass the cable plugs for for USB plug going out or aux plug going in respectively?

Thanks.

Reiver said:
I'm curious as to how you've positioned it. Did you hide the body fit behind the headunit or place it in the cabinet (pocket)? Then did you have to drill holes big enough to pass the cable plugs for for USB plug going out or aux plug going in respectively?

Thanks.
I've not put it into it's final resting place yet, it's currently just 'test-fitted' by leaving it underneath the headunit, behind the pocket/ashtray. I then fed the wires up through the side of the removable part of the ashtray. (Be careful not to let the cables/box get tangled up in the gear shift mechanism! )

Now I know it works fine, I'll get around to fitting it properly at some point over the festive period. Options are:

1) drill a couple of holes in the ashtray and hide the cables/usb stick in there
2) drill a couple of holes in the pocket and hide the cables/usb stick in there
3) get extensions for both USB and Aux cables and run both to the armrest pocket
4) get extensions for both USB and Aux, running usb to the ashtray and aux up behind the headunit, coming out through one of the dashboard vents to easily connect to my phone when it's in the windscreen mount. For this option, I would also want to hardwire a phone charger cable and run it alongside the aux cable for both charging and listening...

Decisions decisions..

I'll update this with pictures when I'm done.

Got the cable routing sorted last week - haven't taken pictures yet unfortunately, but I'll get round to that at some point.

I've ended up routing the USB cable into the centre pocket under the armrest. The cable is long enough to reach without any need for an extension. To get it into the storage area, after removing the gearknob surround and cup holders, I removed one screw under the mat which holds on the blanking plate where the extra power socket would be on some Accords. On taking the blanking plate off, I simply cut a slot into the side of it to allow for the cable to be slotted through once it was put back into place.

The aux input I have placed into the ashtray. Drilled a hole in the bottom and fed the cable through! Simples. Now it is hidden away for most of the time, but can be easily pulled out when required.

Easily the best mod I've added to my car. :)

Oh - as an additional item, did you know that when you remove the power socket blanking plate from within the armrest storage area, you have a small hole (big enough for a spanner) directly over the handbrake adjuster? I didn't.... very useful to know though! :)

That item and the fitting notes are extremely welcome. Thank you all. I never got around to getting the carputer item as I couldn't get hold of them. Having now seen the new price (50 instead of 30), I'm very glad to find this new item. Saves me having to buy a bluetooth mp3 player.
Then the rigmarole of using the bluetooth phone speaker as a wireless transmitter.
Then having to retune every 50 miles or so.
Whinge whine....

I got a aux adapter for £40 and connected to the cd changer port and I dont have a CD changer. So you'd lose your CD changer if you want to install an AUX device. The aux device will give you rca inputs to which you can hook up any device like mp3, ipod etc.

Sorry, but I'm not clear about what you're saying. Do you mean that your car isn't equipped with an integrated CD changer? Or an external CD changer? Or are you saying that after fitting the Aux Adaptor (you don't specify which type), your head unit doesn't allow you to select the built in CD player? How do you know that all Aux Adaptors do this?

I find it incredible that no-one else has mentioned this. Mattster, or anyone else, can you confirm/deny?

BTW, not all Aux Adaptors have RCA connections for leads, some (such as the ebay version mentioned previously) have built in cabling.

HELP! Just had a quick look, to see if I can get mine hooked up before a 3 hour journey.

I was trying to reach the bottom of the radio/cd unit and got stumped. How do I reach it - take the pockets out below it, obviously. Therein lies the problem.
How do you get the lower, open, din sized pocket out? And the flapped one above it? I can't see any obvious tabs, release screws, places to slip a screwdriver/tool in (like removing a stereo head unit). Knowing how many door linings and fitting I've buggered up, because the removal isn't obvious, I thought I'd check first with the people in the know. I did have a manual, but lent it to someone and haven't had it back yet.

Back to bluetooth tonight then.

What car? Is it sat Nav or non sat Nav? There are lots of guides on here and youtube for radio and surround removal

Lying in the drivers side footwell, confused and ****ed off - that's where!

At the second attempt, I'd have probably tried to start all the way back at the centre console cubby box, so thanks for that YT link. I now know to start at the gear lever surround. And a trim panell remover looks like a useful piece of kit, less damaging than my screwdrivers and bent metal rulers. Actually, I wonder if one of my tyre levers (cycle) would do the trick; they're tough plastic with curved ends. Weather's looking good, will give it a try this weekend.

Car is 2.0 auto Exec Tourer 2004 without SatNav. I'll take pics, just in case I don't get anywhere; or to help anyone else who tries this without a manual.