What's new

Honda Diagnostic System advice please

Jon_G

No Longer Active
Reaction score
Car
2005 Tourer i-CTDi
I'm going round to visit Brian (freddofrog) in a week or so, so he can connect up his HDS and allow us to run a few diagnostic tests... mostly for my interest, but also to try and pinpoint the cause of an occasional slight hesitation I get when applying a light throttle. I'm guessing it's either an IMRC or EGR issue, but we'll see! Neither of us are familiar with using HDS on a diesel, but hopefully the menus are clear and obvious?

If anyone can suggest what tests should be done (all?) then I'd be grateful.

I've heard of an HDS routine to 'calibrate' (maybe balance?) the injector outputs while the engine is running (NOT coding, I don't need to do this)... has anyone done this?

Injector tests
Fuel pressure
Turbo
EGR
Imrc
Aircon compressor
Glow plug relay

That's a full set when I do it

Also go into the adjustment menu and check iq data to ensure what's coded into ecu matches what's actually in the engine for injector codes

@Woody - Hi Woody... car running pretty well in general, but some time after timing chain replacement I felt a momentary hesitation on a light throttle. It hasn't been doing it for the last week or so, so maybe it was just because she was off the road for a couple of months while I fixed it in slow motion?

It isn't something that I'd bother investigating normally, tbh, but Gaynor sometimes has to attend a work meeting near where Brian lives, so when I give her a lift then I visit Brian.

@Fahad - thanks for that list.

Have you ever heard of a running calibration/balancing routine for the injectors?

are you going to take the pics when we do it, or shall I ?

someone will have to do the write-up too :ph34r:

I feel responsible for doing this, but I will not be able to post the pictures. But I'll be bringing my camera phone anyway, so do try to look smart! :p

In any case, it appears that very few TA members have their own HDS so there will be little general interest. But I know Fahad will want to know what we've been doing.

Shall I tell myself to get Chrome, Brian?

The mains lead is playing up now. Maybe it would be better if I bought a new laptop, but money a bit tight at the moment!

Sorry, John, I've only just picked up on this thread. I'd pretty much go along with what Fahad has said but I'll add a little more.

If the engine is running OK at idle but you've got a hesitation when under way you need to do some tests with the car being driven. Look particularly for any sudden changes in the values being reported.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I haven't noticed the hesitation for a while, but hopefully we'll find something a bit below spec with Brian's HDS. And hopefully we'll not find anything too serious! :ph34r: