What's new

Front brake pads rattling over bumps

Accord-EX

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-CTDI EX
Ok a bit of a strange one..

I've noticed a very metallic rattling noise when going over bumps which my mechanic correctly diagnosed the front brake pads as the culprit. If I press the brake pedal when going over bumps it does not occur. When the car is stationary, I can move the pads with my hand with not much force. I have attached a picture to give an idea of where the pads are able to move - there is too much play between the pad and the carrier?

Has anyone else come across this?

I rang eurocarparts where I bought the pads back in March (Pagid 101600168) and they said they were definitely the correct pads for my car. The noise is really starting to bug me since the rest of the car is really solid so I think I'm going to have to try a different pad manufacturer. It only started to occur in the past two months maybe because the pads have wore down a bit more but there is still tons of life left on them, it’s a pity to throw them off so soon.

Aftermarket pads, not to the correct size and now rattling in there housing IMO.

Had this issue with another car on the rears. Use to knock when reversing. Never have this issue with genuine pads.

How loose do they feel in the carriers?

Theres probably around 20mm of play from left to right when you move them with your hand which is where the rattle occurs. No other movement that I can see.

Are genuine pads the way to go? A lot of people on here all recommended the Pagid pads which is why I went for them

Accord-EX said:
Theres probably around 20mm of play from left to right when you move them with your hand which is where the rattle occurs. No other movement that I can see.

Are genuine pads the way to go? A lot of people on here all recommended the Pagid pads which is why I went for them
I hope you mean 2mm ??

Don't know why anyone recommends Pagid when OEM Honda pads from HH aren't expensive (Holdcroft honda - see affiliates section)

Before you throw them remove and clean the area, then apply copper slip to metal surface of pad, and carrier where contact is made, the picture shows no evidence of same.

Sorry about the typo, yes approx. 2mm of play I would reckon

Yes I'll try applying some copper slip and give that a go before dishing out for some new pads

Thanks

Don't apply copper grease as this can lead to a binding of the caliper, use this grease, molykote m77 if you can get it, sometimes it comes with the brake pads, but I can't remember if it comes with the 7th gen ones??

I use ceratec grease, which is made for brake pads.

Ceratec is more readily available, and only for pad backing not really for slider pins.

I've always said Pagid are not as good quality as they used to be. Having said that I fitted some Pagid disc and pads from ecp and not had any probs previously so maybe a poor batch?

Mr Honda said:
Don't apply copper grease as this can lead to a binding of the caliper, use this grease, molykote m77 if you can get it, sometimes it comes with the brake pads, but I can't remember if it comes with the 7th gen ones??
Agree with the M77 as copper grease can also corrode the metal shims.
I brought the smallest amount from the USA for £10 but you only need a tiny bit.

garages also use copper grease on the slide pins, on the back of wheels that meet the hub, doesn't make it right.

Saying that if you use it just on the backing of the pad should be ok as you have found.

I had this exact problem after doing my brakes it is the metal discs guards that sits just behind the discs you must have knocked them out of place like me, causing it to rattle as you go over bumps as it pings against the disc just bend them back out the way with a large flathead screwdriver.

I took a look at them tonight again and it turns out the preloaded spring on the outside of the calliper wasn't in the correct position. I refitted it and there is zero movement anymore