What's new

Fuel consumption k20

Roberts14

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
I have a honda accord k20 engine 2003 plate, it does at most 300 mile to a tank around town is this normal? Dont seem much. I get probably 260 - 280 on average but at most 300.

that's pretty bad, i get more on my 2.5 lexus. have you serviced it? this is why i told people on this site to get a 2.4 the difference in economy is marginal, and 2.4 is much better to drive.

I guess it's just the driving style?

My cl7 auto does 35mpg and average of 425miles. Combined, so motorways and city. Only city driving will last 350 miles :(

Its always been like that, it was serviced about 6000 miles ago so probably does need a service soon.

If the K20 is similar to the K24, then keep the engine below 2000 rpm as much as possible when driving round town
Also check the tyre pressures and maybe get the tracking checked (you'd be surprised how much the tyres can affect mpg, especially at low speeds)

Driving around town is always going to be a killer for mpg.

I have noticed that the facelift is quoted at 38mpg whereas the prefacelift is around 34mpg. I don't know what they changed but I certainly get 38mpg on my facelift with mixed driving and that equates to nearly 500 miles from a brimmed tank.

I get about 230 - 240 miles from £27 of fuel in my 2.0 Tourer.

Tracking has been done about 10 months ago and always check my tyre pressures with coming into winter, will need some front tyres soon though as the insides are wearing a little. And the guy i brought the car off only put budgets on so wanna get some decent ones.

From full to near empty on the fuel gauge readout, I got 374 miles on my last tank of fuel, I always fill up from empty, usually don't leave it near zero but that's just how it worked out this time. city-ish traffic, some stop-start, some 50mph runs, that a facelift 2.0l type s, 5 speed, and some spirited driving too.

I'm sure if I drove like a nanny i'd get a lot more, but i'd be bored possibly become quite depressed :ph34r: :ph34r: :huh: :huh:

My 2.4 auto does around 260 miles if I do nothing but drive to work, 10 mile round trip which is all town driving so yours don't sound that great. Maybe a service would help, has the fuel filter been changed?

As far as i know it was a full service, but you dont know as the guy who owned the car before done it all, will give it a good service soon, my trips to work are very short only about a 8 minute drive there so that could be some of the reason i guess.

The guy who owned it before also put in a K&N filter on it, which lasts a lifetime apparently.

Roberts14 said:
my trips to work are very short only about a 8 minute drive there so that could be some of the reason i guess.
big part of the reason.
The engine will hardly warm up, and during engine warm up, the air-fuel-ratio is enriched

Roberts14 said:
The guy who owned it before also put in a K&N filter on it, which lasts a lifetime apparently.
You still need to clean, dry and re-oil them though! They're more like a serviceable part as opposed to a replaceable part.

I have two, as you need to ensure there's no water on them before you put them back in and I often don't have time for that. So I rotate them. Have a cleaned, dry filter in the cupboard, swap them over, clean the dirty one, leave it to dry, re-oil it, leave the excess to drain out and store it away until the next change is due. And so on...