Drivers vent always hot

Jake123

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic ek9
Hi guys

Drive a 2.4 type s.

My issue is the drivers side vent seems to be hot most of the time.
If I turn controls to 'LO' then it will increase fan speed in auto but air will be very hot.
The climate control is not controlling the temp on the drivers side vent.

Passenger side works fine. Toasty hot and freezing cold as commanded

It's slightly intermittent and will sometimes function normal and then suddenly decide to go hot with no user input at all.
Any advice appreciated!

Also does The accord put out any diagnostics related to the heater motors etc if plugged into a reader?

The system works by mixing two air-streams, one air-stream that comes over the heater-matrix to give hot air, and one that comes over the evaporator to give cold air (or external temperature air if the aircon is off). By moving flaps on each side, the system attempts to get the target temperature.
Either the temperature sensor is knackered, or the motor is playing up. No idea how you get to them, most probably you'd have to remove the dash, and I don't think anyone on TA has ever removed a dash on a 7th or 8th gen.

Cheers for advice.

I'll go with checking temp sensor fis, anyone got any sort of resistance or spec to check this ahainst?

Seems almost impossible to find a relevant workshop manual

I don't think you'll find a spec on the temp sensor, and you'd have to know where it is and how to get to the controller (I think I saw a thread once where the aircon controller was visible, after they're removed part of the centre console for some other reason).

Yeah workshop manuals are difficult. About 6 years ago I bought a Haynes for the Honda Accord 2003 through 2007 (USA market), I've just had a look in it and there is a short section on removal of the climate control ***embly and a very long section on removal of the heater core. I also have a Honda workshop manual on CD for my car, that I got on ebay a couple of years ago.

I've got a copy of the genuine Honda Service eManual... there is a wealth of information regarding the HVAC, etc system - at least for a 2004 CL7, which I've ***umed you have?

Unfortunately, IT problems prevent me simply cutting & pasting sections of the manual into TA (which would probably be a copyright violation anyway)... there is a graph for sensor resistance Vs temperature (looks like the sensor should be around 4k ohms @ around 15 degrees C) and a technique for reading out HVAC error codes (but different technique depending on exact model). But I suggest you do a resistance measurement for each side sensor and maybe do a comparison as a quick and easy check.

PM me with your email address and exact model details if you would like me to try cut & pasting the self-diagnostic info.

Jon_G said:
I've got a copy of the genuine Honda Service eManual... there is a wealth of information regarding the HVAC, etc system - at least for a 2004 CL7, which I've ***umed you have?

Unfortunately, IT problems prevent me simply cutting & pasting sections of the manual into TA (which would probably be a copyright violation anyway)... there is a graph for sensor resistance Vs temperature (looks like the sensor should be around 4k ohms @ around 15 degrees C) and a technique for reading out HVAC error codes (but different technique depending on exact model). But I suggest you do a resistance measurement for each side sensor and maybe do a comparison as a quick and easy check.

PM me with your email address and exact model details if you would like me to try cut & pasting the self-diagnostic info.
not seen anything like that on my CD, I'll have to check

I presume you need an OBD reader ?
is there a way to check without one ?
is it easy to get to the sensors ?

The vehicle HVAC system has in-built self-diagnostics... you hold down certain HVAC control buttons whilst turning on the ignition, and then the radio display (non-satnav models) becomes a code reader. There is also info in the eManual about testing the sensors with a hair-dryer while checking the sensor resistance and seeing how this follows a graph.

I've copied/pasted info about this to Jake. Hopefully he'll let us know if it can be followed!

freddofrog said:
if the sensors can be checked with a hair drier, where are they ?
I'm trying to address my IT woes, so I'm in a room with 2 laptops and 4 desktop computers, but the only one with a working DVD drive is in use by someone else! But the laptop I'm currently using lets me cut/paste and (as you can see) reply using quotes!

Anyway, I recall from when I did look at the Honda DVD this morning that the drivers side sensor is behind the instrument cluster, and then held in a bracket which can be accessed after cluster removal (not clear from the schematic, but probably obvious in the flesh?). Not sure about the passenger side sensor, which I'm pretty sure must be present somewhere.

Jon_G said:
I'm trying to address my IT woes, so I'm in a room with 2 laptops and 4 desktop computers, but the only one with a working DVD drive is in use by someone else! But the laptop I'm currently using lets me cut/paste and (as you can see) reply using quotes!
Get Google Chrome Jon ..... I use it all the time, it definitely works better than IE and it runs faster

I'm pretty sure the drivers side sensor is just under the clocks to the left of the steering column. You can see a small slatted vent and it should be behind there.