What's new

Confirmation of cheep oil filter tool works for idtec fuel filter replacement

rorton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i-DTEC EX
Managed to pickup an 89mm 15 flute oil filter removal tool from Amazon, was £7.50 and shipped from the Uk, and works perfectly on the idtec fuel filter cap.

• Removed positive from battery
  • I took off the strut brace
  • Remove the nut holding the fuse box and swung the fuse box out of the way
  • Remove the screw attaching the fuel line to the filter
  • Using the oil filter cap tool, and a universal joint socket (a straight socket bar doesn't work, need the universal point on the end) - Remove the cap with the filter attached
  • Jacked up the car - then axel stands
  • Removed the passenger wheel
  • Loosened the bleed nipple for the filter housing
  • Drained the diesel in the housing
  • Wiped out the inside of the housing
  • Soaked the new o ring in some diesel, put new o ring on the fuel filter cap, put filter in, and tightened up
  • Soaks the tiny o ring for the drain plug in diesel, and then replaced this on the bleed screw that comes out
  • Tighten up the bleed screw
  • Put fuse box back
  • Reconnected positive on battery
  • **Put ignition onto the last step before starting and left it there for 2 mins88 (important, as no fuel in the filter so this primes the system
  • Started car - 1st time!
  • Checked for leaks
  • Secured strut brace back on
  • Took for test run.

Took me about 45 mins and this is my first time. The tool was cheep and works perfectly, so no reason not to have a go.

I also got one of these, but it didn't work!

No fault of the tool however. A previous owner had had the car serviced at a non-Honda garage and obviously they didn't have access to the proper tool. and they butchered the cap!

I reckon they had used a chain type oil filter wrench and in doing so had broken a section of one of the 4 raised turrets which surround the radius of the filter cap. The result means there is insufficient purchase for the cupped tool and with pressure it slips!

So, I will now have to improvise a method to remove the cap, this won't be easy since there is only minimal side-surface area to get some kind of grip. From what I have learned so far, its on tight!

Cheers, Terry

I have a new cap so even if I have to destroy the old one getting it off it won't be a disaster.

Cheers, Terry

Thanks Mark,

But can I clarify a couple of things?

The plastic cap has a very smaller diameter than the body of the filter its screwed into, so, how does this tool actually grip around the cap? If the legs are placed over the cap they will just grip the outside of the filter case and not be able to grip the cap?

I can see this working well on an oil filter cap since this is a quite deep but can it really grip the fuel filter cap?

Maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick on how this legged tool is used? have you used it to remove an I-tdec filter cap?

Cheers, Terry

Apolgies terry , i hadnt realised one of the turrets on your filler cap had snapped , in that case one of these probably wont work as it wont bite on one side your probably right and going to have to butcher this one off

I managed to get the cap off and changed the filter and replaced the damaged cap with a new one.

I removed all the gubbins and exposed the cap.

I tried to use a nylon strap filter wrench in the hope that it might grip without damage, but when the load came on (extended breaker bar), it slipped.

I then tried a chain filter wrench and this did grip a bit better but when I really put the pressure on, it too slipped, (you may recall in my posts above one of the turrets on the exterior diameter of the cap had been broken off by some previous owner or garage trying to get it off without the proper tool).

So...........I was scuppered........ I had a cup of tea.

I reckoned I didn't have too much to lose if I broke the cap since ultimately, this might be the only way of getting it off. I looked around my garage and found a 4 foot length of 2 inch water pipe and also a lump hammer.

Because of the length, I was able to thread the pipe under pipes and wiring looms in the engine compartment and place it on the end on one of the remaining turrets on the cap and also angle the pipe into a good angle, (not horizontal, but good enough).

I then began hitting the end of the pipe. Any moment, I expected the remaining turret to pop off but it held. Eventually, millimetre by millimetre the cap began to revolve with each hit.

Eventually after half a revolution I was able to get my Chinese clone tool on the cap and it came off!

I hope never to have to do this again - all caused off course by someone over tightening the cap and then trying to get it off with improvised methods.

So..........I lubricated the 'O' ring and threads of the cap with silicone grease rather than just diesel and I then gingerly tightened the cap.

There is a problem with this cap arrangement which you don't get with an oil filter. That is that the outlet pipe comes into its fittings on the top of the cap at an angle of about around 9'oclock. By 3'oclock, I reckoned the cap was perfectly tight (hand tight and 'five minutes more' using a socket), but this is not enough to line up the pipe with its fitting and a further full half a turn is needed. It went easily enough, but if someone tells you it should be 'hand-tight' then they don't understand that the outlet dictates the ultimate position and not just the 'hand-tight' situation.

In the end, I was able to get the pipe onto its fixings and still be '5 minutes away' from where the cap was when I began to try and remove it.

Both caps were of the white dot variety, so there should have been no problems.

Cheers, Terry