What's new

Reset alarm

Richard_16v

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX 2.2CDTi
Hello

I haven't used my car for a couple of weeks. I went to move it and couldn't unlock with the fob. I opened the door with the key to pop the bonnet to charge the battery.

Now as soon as I connect the battery the alarm goes off. I can't seem to stop it even though I can lock unlock with the fob and also start the car.

Any ideas how to stop it and reset the alarm?

If I pull the horn fuse will it stop the noise to give me time to try and fix without the neighbour's wanting to kill me...

Thanks

Richard

I think there is a way to reset it with the key in drivers door. I vaguely remember having this problem when I first got my accord 4 years ago. Have you checked the handbook?

With key in drivers door unlock, lock then unlock again. Think that's it. Im sure someone will confirm this I can't check my handbook because it's in my car at work.

Thanks, I can't see anything in the handbook, I am sure I tried unlocking, locking, unlocking (although I don't think door was locked so I locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked so I will try again with that tomorrow)

Do you think removing the horn fuse will stop it making too much noise?

I'm not sure if it's a separate fuse. I'm sure this method worked with mine when the alarm was going off.

Did you leave the key in the ignition when you attempted to jump-start or charge the battery?

I don't think so, although at first I did try charging with battery connected so I may have tried putting key in, does that mean something bad?

It's the battery in the alarm that caused the problem. AFAIK all alarms have their own internal battery, but they rely on an external power source. The battery is in the alarm for when the external power source goes, but the internal battery will then drain.

In the car, the alarm's external source is the main car battery. If that goes flat, then the alarm battery goes flat. If the alarm was set before the batteries both went flat then, when the main battery is reconnected, the fact that the internal battery is flat will cause the alarm to go off. After about 20 minutes it will stop and provided the main car battery is kept charged, the internal battery will recover, and everything should go back to normal.

If you lock the car, the alarm is always set. If you leave the car for a long period of time and expect the batteries to be drained by the alarm (the 2.4 has a small car battery so the alarm drains it in about 2 weeks), then the only 100% reliable way to prevent this, is to lock the car with the bonnet up, disconnect the earth from he car battery, then shut the bonnet. That way the alarm is not set.

Thanks, so are you saying if I connect the battery and leave it for about 20 mins all will be ok?

In that case if I pull the horn fuse to stop the noise and start the car and leave running for 20 mins will that work?

Many thanks for everyone a help, fingers crossed I can get this sorted soon.

Richard_16v said:
Thanks, so are you saying if I connect the battery and leave it for about 20 mins all will be ok?

In that case if I pull the horn fuse to stop the noise and start the car and leave running for 20 mins will that work?

Many thanks for everyone a help, fingers crossed I can get this sorted soon.
Yes it should be ok .....and if it is ok, don't do it again :lol: [guess how I found out]

Managed to fix it today :)

There are so many different ways people say they have fixed it I think I tried them all!!

In the end it was sorted by fully charging battery, connecting with all doors shut, I shut bonnet, locked car using fob, waited about 15 secs then indicators went crazy, waited another 10ish secs and unlocked using fob. Alarm stopped and I could open door as normal.

Good technique, hope we can all remember this thread with a very good ***le too ...."reset alarm"

I wish I had known that sequence when it happened to me :lol: