DRL LED and Halo led install

dieselfumes

Members
Reaction score
Car
09 accord
Hi all,
decided to do a quick write up as i havnt seen any involving this subject,
story behind it is i have Xenon installed bt dont want to burn them out during the day, plus Daytime running Lights are all the rage nowadays on newer cars. apologies for the lack of pics too, it took about 4hrs in total but i kept getting distracted by battlefield and took me overnight to finish
difficulty level of this is 4/10.

Ingredients: - 85mm soft strip LED white/orange (indicator)
- 2.5" COB LED halo
-Insulation tape
-Crimp/ Crush connectors male and female.
-picture hanging wire, narrowest you can get

-ok first of all remove headlights using "JAMES2512" write up on HID install.
-remove all lights and connectors.
- remove 4 philips head screws from back of headlight unit.
-now for the fun bit preheat oven to 200C, pop the headlights in for 3mins, please give them a quick wipe otherwise your baking grime onto them... pry off glass carefully using moderate force, the plastic clips should bend up quite easily when warm, if it becomes too difficult put back into oven, do not get resin on glass!.
-remove 4more screws holding on reflector shrouds.
-install COB over projector housing (dipped beam) fasten with picture hanging wire, power wire can run underneath shroud very easily
-install led strip using little plastic clips provided with strips, and run it whatever way you want, i got the 85mm because i thought i could cut it to size but you cant so i doubled it back around and i think it makes a nice effect.
-do not use tec7 or any other material to secure strip as its non reflective and will show up as dark spots
- power wire for LED strip i ran through the side light hole under the full beam as this is where im wiring into the car, but you can drill in an inconspicious area either.
- re-install reflector shroud with screws and glass, place back in oven and prise glass back into place ensuring all plastic clips go back correctly, put back in philips screws.
- snip off connector to sidelights/parking lights and connect positive from COB, and Strip using Crimp connector, connect negative from COB and Strip, put crimp connector on positive and negative from wire harness (car)
-snip positive wire from indicator and connect Strip alternate positive wire.
-reinstall headlight to car.

please take care on drivers side with the wire loom as its quite cramped
it wont allow me to post pics so i can leave my bucketlist user (cmcgr06) you can have a gander there...

I remember this mod back in my Ford Cougar days, the old headlight cooking.
Personally never had the heart to do it but looks good, well done

That looks fantastic. I am too chicken **** to cook my headlights thought.
I wonder could someone offer this as a thing.
Like buy a few sets of headlamps, make the changes and then offer a partial trade service.
Customers headlamsp + cash for the modified ones?

iv been asked on the street to do others, personally i wouldnt take it on but def worth looking into, i think its pretty big in the us...on alibaba.com im pretty sure you can buy a fairly made set off that website... but the designs and way you can shape the strip means that each one is unique

It looks amazing. Great job!! I was thinking how and where to add DRL to my car so it would look good but never thought about dismantling a headlight. Does it affect an integrity of the lamp? Did it stayed water tight? I'd love to do it but I'm a bit scared that I'll mess up someting. You've posted that you've used a 85mm strip but that seems a bit too short. Also, I've looked on eBay for 2.5" cob LEDs but found only 60mm. Would that fit?

Integrity- I had a mist effect on the passenger side indicator so the seal was compromised that side from the factory, all screws and clips went back same way they came out, no leaks or condensation at all and managed to clean up that must that annoyed me, I felt so confident that I'm going to stick my tail lights into the oven to try get a better seal because there are water droplets in it...
Take your time and you can't mess up,
85mm: sorry typo, I meant 85cm, I was offered 65cm or 85cm, I choose 85cm thinking I could trim it myself but you can't, you must buy the length you require and use the full amount.
2.5"- I'm pretty sure 2.5" is 60mm.
I ordered all parts through whatsapp, from a company called AES, you can find them in Alibaba. com.
They have plenty of different types of del, halos etc.

Thanks for your reply. So it looks like a 45cm strips should be enough. Now the most difficult part - convince my other half to strip front of a car ;)