What's new

Accord 2.3 Type V Missfire/Judder loss of power

impreza07

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi,

My Honda accord 2.3 51 plate has started to loose power and feels like its juddering along sometimes, today the engine the wouldn't rev above 3.5k. I pulled over switched engine off then back on which seemed to improve things a little. Engine management light is on. I'm not sure if it could be the fuel pump as it seems to be worse on a empty tank. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks

It could be the fuel filter fella its its not been changing for abit it could of dragging abit of crud through with running it low on fuel

But then again i dont think the engine management light would come on, so cancel that last comment could be the egr valve you need to get it hucked up to a computer and see what cose it throws at you fella

First port of call would be to check you have oil!

If the EML is on then you can get the code read and see what it is.

As above, check your oil. The engine will engage limp mode if the oil pressure isn't sufficient, I've had this happen to my 6th gen and it would be my first port of call.

Seeing as how the EML is on, I'd read the Diagnostic Trouble Code and then go from there. I believe there is a way to short pins on the OBD port to do this... have a forum search for the how-to.

That car will have a standard OBD2 port so just buy a ELM327 for like £7 and use the Tourque App which is on Android and iOS and read the code yourself.

exec said:
That car will have a standard OBD2 port so just buy a ELM327 for like £7 and use the Tourque App which is on Android and iOS and read the code yourself.
sorry to sound dumb but whats a obd2 port and will all accords have one??

I don't think the OBD2 port appears until 2001/2002 in the Accord. It seems some have and some don't.

Its in the passenger footwell, hidden behind the carpet near the centre console if you do.

IMG_0316r.jpg

Accord636 said:
Cheers guys will have a look mines 2000 year so might/ might not have one
But you will, at least, have an OBD1 connector. Even without a reader, linking certain pins can allow the ECU to be checked for error codes. Using a paperclip I did just that on my '96 Vectra to identify a failed cam postion sensor.

I've just had my 2.3 Type-V in for something similar and the codes came back as a distributor fault which seems to be a common problem. Any one had any experience of this?

Hi, Thanks, for replies, turned out I had an oil leak and hadn't realised as it had been previously in the garage for a few weeks getting some work done and when I got it back the oil had emptied. Topped it up and noticed the oil on my drive the following morning, took car to garage had a perished oil filter, sorted for £15. Thanks for all the help.