What's new

3 click indicator

Original Nutta

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.4
Is there a mod where i can have the indicator like the newer models I do lots of motorway mile and would like to be able to just tap the indicator and get 3 signals when moving lane. I have a 04 tourer

Oooh, nice idea. Would be interested to see if anyone has ideas on how this could be done.

Waeco has a kit for this. I had it on my civic ep. Made the indicators flash when i unlocked the doors and flashes them 3 times when just touching like you need.

what exactly is the point of this, is it so difficult to manually adjust an indicator when and if you require it to be used?

and yes, i agree with what edge said. Some hopeless drivers out there.

edgeoftime said:
The way that some folks drive you need to keep it going until you are out there, some might think you have changed your mind!

toffee_pie said:
what exactly is the point of this, is it so difficult to manually adjust an indicator when and if you require it to be used?

and yes, i agree with what edge said. Some hopeless drivers out there.
I totally agree with both of the above people.

This originates in driving laws in some (if not all) states in the USA. In the USA, if a cop sees you changing lanes on a motorway, or making a turn on a road, without flashing the indicator at least 3 times, you will get a ticket. AFAIK this has been the law in some (if not all) states in the USA for at least 30 years, because 30 years go I worked on a project at Lucas, for testing trafficator switches that were being manufactured for Ford in the USA. Several of the finished trafficators from each batch were picked at random and mounted into a test-rig, which performed a series of movements of the trafficators, and the force required to move the trafficator over its "detent" was measured. One of the tests was the "touch to turn", which was a light clockwise or anti-clockwise touch on the traffictor stalk that should not move the stalk over the "detent".

I notice that some car manufacturers have included this daft and pointless "touch to turn" into the traffictors in vehicles for markets outside the USA. Quite probably, some bean-counter at Ford or Chrysler, worked out that it would save 10 cents on the cost of every vehicle manufactured, if the same trafficators/electronics were used in cars for the USA, Middle East, and Europe. Or maybe a marketing guru thought it would help sell a few more cars.

Over time, as a result of this, car manufacturers have started to copy one another ......but all along, they've forgotten that what is law in some (if not all) states in the USA, just ain't law in Europe, where roads are very different.. So giving 3 flashes of an indicator over this side of the Atlantic just ain't gong to cut the mustard when driving over here. Unless some bureaucrat in Brussels decides to copy the USA.

edit: "turn signal for changing lanes" gave many links relating to this in the USA, just a couple below

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109851

http://www.scnow.com/news/columns/article_43a07880-7b13-11e3-afbb-001a4bcf6878.html

edgeoftime said:
The way that some folks drive you need to keep it going until you are out there, some might think you have changed your mind!
I think in some countries, such as France and Germany, it's considered good form (if not a legal requirement) to leave your indicator on for the duration of your overtaking manoeuvre. Of course that would never work over here as drivers have a pathological fear of keeping left on the motorway so we'd just have a convoy Rover 75's in the middle lane with indicators flashing all day long.

They then roll out their excuses in a John Major 'wally' voice saying "Oh well, the Middle Lane is the Safest Place to be really" and "I'm doing 70 so you shouldn't be overtaking me anyway" :angry:

[/rant]

This is something i missed when I moved to an accord. its a nice feature when your used to it.

It is a handy gadget that you get used to , my van has it .. but then my van has many things my accord could really use .. heated front windscreen , heated mirrors , devastatingly cold aircon , automatic hill start .. which you get really used to and have to really really gotta must defo remember you don't have it when in other cars .

I agree it's a good feature and the Ford heated screen is the best thing about ford's it clears an icy screen in seconds no need for scraper or de icer.My accord does have heated mirrors though.

so like black Friday, crazy Monday, mental Tuesday, mayhem Thursday stupid nonsense, the Americans car detailing and tact is emerging on this shores now. 3 blinks, lol.

now where do i locate the hood on my car......

chew said:
I agree it's a good feature and the Ford heated screen is the best thing about ford's it clears an icy screen in seconds no need for scraper or de icer.My accord does have heated mirrors though.

I had a mondeo and indeed the front heated screen was in fact the best thing about the entire car, my lesux has heated (and cooled) everything so i am not missing out on creature comforts now.

My Wife has a Mondeo and the heated screen is awesome, although I find the blower on the Accord clears ice pretty quickly when I am too lazy to scrape it.