What's new

Possible power steering pump failing

Dalerobert

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
So over the christmas period i went to my cousins in brecon the drive down was problem free in fact it was awesome with the welsh roads and long sweeping corners just right for the accord anyway the day after the journey down i noticed a wurring noise from the engine which became louder when i turn the wheel so i checked the power steering level and all was as it should be, theres no other issue with the steering apart from the noise gets louder when you turn anybody else had this problem any help appreicaited

Accord636 said:
So over the christmas period i went to my cousins in brecon the drive down was problem free in fact it was awesome with the welsh roads and long sweeping corners just right for the accord anyway the day after the journey down i noticed a wurring noise from the engine which became louder when i turn the wheel so i checked the power steering level and all was as it should be, theres no other issue with the steering apart from the noise gets louder when you turn anybody else had this problem any help appreicaited
I might be talking nonsense but could it be one of the auxiliary belts?

It doesnt sound like a belt slipping its not screeching lole rubber it sounds metalic if you get what i mean metal on metal

The closest sound it sounds like is when your car is in reverse and you put your foot down lol

There easy to change but it took 4 s/h ones till I found one that worked properly :huh:.

Accord636 said:
The closest sound it sounds like is when your car is in reverse and you put your foot down lol
The pump can make sound like that, I remember my dads old Volvo used to make that noise. See if the noise occurs when you are idle and do a lock to lock with the steering and see if it makes those stress noises.

When did you last change the P/S fluid?

Although to note it shouldn't sound mettalic, that could be cv joints maybe or some suspension part?

Maybe air is trapped in the pump? Not sure how you bleed this out on your car, but I understand it can be done on other cars by turning the steering wheel hard against the lock for a few seconds and then repeating for the opposite lock. While stationary!

exec said:
The pump can make sound like that, I remember my dads old Volvo used to make that noise. See if the noise occurs when you are idle and do a lock to lock with the steering and see if it makes those stress noises.

When did you last change the P/S fluid?

Although to note it shouldn't sound mettalic, that could be cv joints maybe or some suspension part?
it does happen when its idle as soon as the engine starts its there gets louder when you accelerate

My 02 plate just started doing this too. Being mechanically dumb doesnt help me in the slightest either.

Check your fluid and for leaks.

When I bought my present accord, I got it home and my pump was making a terrible noise when turning the steering wheel. I checked the level and it was down. Topped up and fine again, but I was having to top up every day to a bad leak. Local garage sorted it. It was on the LHS of the engine bay where a metal pipe joined onto a rubber pipe carrying the fluid.

Cheers for the help guys.

Do i need a certain type of fluid? Haven't got my manual in the car :(

Agree with skhell: Use genuine Honda PSF only! I made the mistake of topping off the fluid on my Accord using an "universal" PSF. After about 3-4 weeks the pump started making a horrible grinding noise. Seems the fluid mix turned into some kind of foam/bubbles. Had to drain and clean/flush the whole system, pipes and everything. Pump was shot as well so I had to buy a new one...

Knut said:
Agree with skhell: Use genuine Honda PSF only! I made the mistake of topping off the fluid on my Accord using an "universal" PSF. After about 3-4 weeks the pump started making a horrible grinding noise. Seems the fluid mix turned into some kind of foam/bubbles. Had to drain and clean/flush the whole system, pipes and everything. Pump was shot as well so I had to buy a new one...
I suspect it was nothing to do with the fluid. I have used a ubiquitous power steering fluid after my problem 6 months ago, and its fine. There is a lot of marketing nonsense about oils and fluids - its all about trying to get you to spend more. As long as the oil is to the correct specification, quoted on the label, then it does not matter which brand logo you have on the label.

If anybody lives near Chesterfield/ Bolsover. I recommend you visit Aztec Oils on the industrial estate in Bolsover. You will save a fortune.

flyerphil said:
I suspect it was nothing to do with the fluid. I have used a ubiquitous power steering fluid after my problem 6 months ago, and its fine. There is a lot of marketing nonsense about oils and fluids - its all about trying to get you to spend more. As long as the oil is to the correct specification, quoted on the label, then it does not matter which brand logo you have on the label.

If anybody lives near Chesterfield/ Bolsover. I recommend you visit Aztec Oils on the industrial estate in Bolsover. You will save a fortune.
Right... And what is the correct specification for Honda power steering units?

Personally universal fluids do not always work properly. Some of the parts in the Honda are propierty and need extra chemicals you won't find in universal products. The aluminium radiator is a good example aswell as the gearbox.

Well, all I can say is what my mechanic said (non-Honda): Honda needs genuine Honda PSF. Never mix. Maybe if you drained the system of genuine fluid and refilled with another you might be ok? I don't know... But never mix - I did, with a bad result.

The same applies to the gearbox.
Many tried aftermarket transmission fluid, but in the end, they had to go back to Honda Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF)...

Amsoil is the only gearbox oil reputed to work very well on honda, not used it myself though.

skhell said:
Right... And what is the correct specification for Honda power steering units?
Hi, yes I have been looking into this in the past day or so, and indeed you are correct.

There is no specification in the handbook, and a search on the internet likewise, except you see phrases like "Use only correct Honda PS fluid otherwise you may damage the system" or in the book "Use of fluid other than the Honda fluid you will damage your system"

Further research has revealed that virtually all manufacturers do not seem to be fussy, a Universal ATF will do. Exceptions are: Rolls Royce, they require mineral oil as a fluid. Saab, Honda and Mercedes Benz require their own brand.

On the internet this seems a hot topic, some say yes, others say they have been dealing with Honda for years and only use universal ATF.

One common thread is, that if you use the Honda stuff, mixing it with Universal causes foaming. Others say no, its because you have an air leak in the system somewhere? The plot thickens.

On my Accord, its 4 months ago since my leak was fixed at the local garage. I ***ume they drained all the old fluid out, most had leaked anyway, and I'm pretty sure it was refilled with the red universal stuff, dipping my finger in the reservoir confirms this.

I have just checked it. The fluid is clean, bright red, and there is no foam whilst running, the level remains constant at max, there are no leaks and there is no noise from the pump. The steering is light and precise.

Since i am bored and have nothing to do, I think I will write a few letters and see what I can find out.

^ Did you replace iwth original lines?

Accord363 - Did you ever find the problem with yours too? Might be same thing, at the age these cars are at there lines will more or less be ropey and corroded!

Ivr not done anything with mine there defo no leak as the resivour is still full its a job i need to get done but keeps getting put back

How much is that setting you back?

Sorry it took so long to reply exec. The original quoted price all in was £350 but because the part they got delivered was broken and my days off meant i had to wait another week it was discounted down to £234.

No worries, that seems very reasonable for dealer price, ***uming labour is included too.