What's new

HID headlight condensation - silica bag mod possible?

Galgo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Mk7 2.4 Tourer
My offside headlight has condensation in it. After reading this topic, I went onto eBay and bought some 100g silica bags.

I tried to put one inside the headlight casing but I can't even fit the bag through the opening. I did remove the rubber grommet thing and the headlight connector first before anyone asks... There is hardly any room around where the connector is inside the casing.

I'm ***uming that only those with halogen lights can perform this fix? Or am I doing something wrong?

My tourer has HIDs from the factory instead of halogen headlights or aftermarket HIDs, by the way... :)

Thanks.

Can you open another bigger plastic grey cap?

I'll have a look in the morning as I was doing this earlier this evening using my iPhone as a torch lol

From memory there was that small rubber grommet thing and I also remember something by the wing, a squarish plastic box that said "do not open"... I'm guessing it's the ballast or something.

Galgo said:
I'll have a look in the morning as I was doing this earlier this evening using my iPhone as a torch lol

From memory there was that small rubber grommet thing and I also remember something by the wing, a squarish plastic box that said "do not open"... I'm guessing it's the ballast or something.
Can you take picture from back of your light.

I found a pic of one that someone on eBay is selling:

2hqufis.jpg

(image taken from here)

Not sure about this cap on the right.What's write on the sticker?My lights wasn't oem Hid.So I just took off this cap and put silica bag.

Label says (in English, French, German, Dutch)

WARNING
DO NOT REMOVE THIS COVER
essyses tgyfuu liihug piugyfd yrrrdde saedyt
gugyyf sese jjijnu eesrcct

[I can't read the last bit]

What can be if you remove?

I think the cap with the warning label is where the HID bulb is. My car is an Exec which comes with OEM HIDs as standard.

I'm guessing no-one has experience of using silica bags with HID lights?

If I were to remove the headlight unit and use some silicone sealant where the lens meets the housing, would this solve the condensation problem? I haven't removed it from the car as yet but might do so next weekend.