What's new

Gearing issue 2.2 diesel 56 regarding face lift exec

Big Dan

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 ex I-ctdi tourer
Hi guys! I've been part of this site for nearly a year although I don't really post much. With that said, I love my accord and have plans for a remap. But I've been holding off for a few reasons. number 1 it's still within its warranty and i wanted to keep it original until it ran out secondly I've heard that putting a stage 1 remap can put excessive strain on the clutch causing slip. And lastly and probably most likely the main reason I concerned that there is or could be something wrong with my gearbox or clutch. When changing up from first into 2nd it feels like there is a "gate" to pass through before entering gear,the same up into 3rd but from there its quite fluid. Changing down from 6th is fluid until from 3rd downward, showing much the same of the "gate" feeling. From 3rd if Iam slowing for a junction turning left say, braking changing down to 2nd I some time have to hold the stick over 2nd until the speed is low enough for it to drop in.
I've not driven any other accord so I'm unable to gauge if this is normal or not. My friends focus is so smooth you an almost change with your baby finger.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Dan

I found getting first was occasionally tricky until I changed the gearbox oil.

To be honest, I didn't really expect it to be any different, but it seemed like a good (inexpensive) place to start. I did it at 58K, and it's been ok for the last 60K. I've just changed it again for insurance ;)

Check the cables aren't fraying where they enter the gearbox, underneath the airbox... give them a good spray with oil (not WD40) while you're there.

Thanks guys. It's strange, like my car knows I'm talking about it. Because it's fine now! I know these cars have a self adjusting clutch but I didn't think it would be related or take like 2-300 miles to sort it. If that is what was wrong.

It might still be worth checking your gearbox oil level or change it anyway for the correct MTF as it can make a massive difference and is relatively cheap and easy to do

Dave G said:
It might still be worth checking your gearbox oil level or change it anyway for the correct MTF as it can make a massive difference and is relatively cheap and easy to do

Will do bro. If it helps ten it's gotta be worth doing