What's new

How long has your clutch lasted

vile

T A Terminator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
8th gen 2.4 Manual
Ok guys with so much talk on clutches lately or shall i say the pressure plate self adjusting causing clutch slip.
How long has your clutches lasted and what type of driving do you do.

Brett- 37k a mix of town and motorway driving/ also toe a shed.

I'll be watching this thread with interest

67k mixture of driving. New clutch being fitted tomorrow under 3 year warranty only by one week. :)

People should say whether it is with or without a remap too.

you probably find anyone mapping their car will suffer slip regardless of mileage, stock is normally fine so long as the cc switch or whatever it is adjusted correctly. Mine gets worked thru all gears and still stock and fine.

mines now on 50k guess original clutch i brought it at 20k so hope it hadn't had one in that time mix of town and main roads very very little motorway and car is remapped also I use the handbrake at junctions not the clutch to hold the car like i see some people do

Mine died at 125K with stock map. Pretty sure it was the original. New clutch has light usage (few hundred miles) during the week with hardly any Turbo action. Weekends sees mostly only a few miles driven fairly hard.

Is everyone sure that this SLIP is actually that? and not the vsa taking over when the car is booted, one way to check is get the front wheels up against a high kerb, put the handbrake on and then try to move forward, if the engine stalls then I reckon the clutch to be good, if it keeps going then yes it's slipping. I'LL GET MY COAT!!

Mines on 90k still on original clutch 2 private owners plus the dealership and gets driven averagely! Still has standard map sadly!! :lol:

Is everyone sure that this SLIP is actually that? and not the vsa taking over when the car is booted, one way to check is get the front wheels up against a high kerb, put the handbrake on and then try to move forward, if the engine stalls then I reckon the clutch to be good, if it keeps going then yes it's slipping. I'LL GET MY COAT!!

The problem is that it's not slip in the traditional sense which is normally down to friction plate wear. In the ICTDI it's down to weak pressure plate design which only exhibits on full throttle when the boost kicks in i.e. around 2k rpm in 3rd 4th 5th gears..

Mine started slipping at 115k, before the remap, but looking at it after it was replaced, it was not the original but a HUK part, so it was changed at some point with the previous owner. My driving style.... as if it is someone else's car... :lol:

The problem is that it's not slip in the traditional sense which is normally down to friction plate wear. In the ICTDI it's down to weak pressure plate design which only exhibits on full throttle when the boost kicks in i.e. around 2k rpm in 3rd 4th 5th gears..

If this a proven fault then why have WE not had a recall??

Well I guess we need to define 'proven'.

Everyone has/will have this problem at some point and you could argue that Honda's subsidation of the clutch change price at £585 fixed is somewhat an admission of guilt, but clutches are also wear and tear items so it's a very grey area.

Many of us, me included have had failed clutches pre-remap at less than 30k miles but the fact that many of us are now remapping our cars gives Honda a get-out clause too.

No concrete answer I'm afraid, that's why I always say to people to factor in £600 as part of your ownership costs just in case you have the problem, remap or no remap.

mine went a couple of months after i bought it at 67k, so was on standard map

77k on original clutch but the slip went away and I changed as a precaution. Mines remapped too.
Technician at HH said mine was due to friction plate wear and not pressure plate. He said the outer edges began to polish off. I'm second owner of the car

69K here on standard map - I'm the second owner and had the car for 4 months. I do 90% of my driving in 5th and 6th so it wasn't me who wore it out. Diagnosed as friction plate wear, so the woman before me may have done a lot of urban miles. Is this an issue on the 8th Gen or is it too early to tell? I must admit this would put me off buying another 7th gen.

I'm not familiar with the clutch design on the 8th gen mate, but I would imagine they will have improved the design on the IDTEC engines. (here's hoping anyway).

Ist owner did 58k. I bought it and had remap at about 64k. Clutch failed at 76k. My miles are mostly on the open road at 60-80mph. Old friction plate looked like it had plenty of wear left in it. Must be the usual pressure plate that failed. How difficult would it really be for Honda to bring out a stronger pressure plate, something we would all buy next clutch change.

Very true John it would be nice.
So basicly guys the average clutch life is about 60k to 80k.I think mine went on 37k because of the shed pulling.

Serves you right then :lol:.

My clutch has started to display the symptoms captured by Fahad at 35,000 and just 4 years old.
Not mapped, no towing and certainly not abused.
Still drives without issue around town with moderate throttle opening, but slippage can be caused at will by accelerating.

I found in recent weeks that the clutch biting point seemed to be higher then I remembered + changing up into 2nd was slightly more notchy, anyone else found that or am I imagining something?

Car booked in to Honda next week, with letters of complaint sent to Honda UK, I will let you all know outcome.

Its a great shame that this seems to be a reoccurring feature of the CDTI on the Accord, Civic and CRV and that Honda have not found a more suitable clutch to replace the standard item.
I have driven various diesel estates as company cars over the last 20 years (Renault, Passat, BMW, Audi) most of these were replaced at 80 - 100K miles and never had a clutch replaced.

Passats do need the cam belt changed every 4 years @ circa £400, but a clutch seems excessive to be considered a service item.

Thats low miles, It may be a fault, who knows could be oil on the friction plate. Your probably the the lowest mileage car to have these probs without remap, shed pulling and what not if its pressure/friction wear.

To be fair to Honda this is the very first attempt at making a diesel, and they pulled off the most refined oil burner out their just compare to a 320d or c220cdi. They cover most major faults under extended warranty, and even fixed the price for a clutch change. But yours does seem low miles so its certainly worth checking it out with HUK problem you may find its a wear item so they well within their rights to say no.

let us know how you get on

Thats low miles, It may be a fault, who knows could be oil on the friction plate. Your probably the the lowest mileage car to have these probs without remap, shed pulling and what not if its pressure/friction wear.

Not at all mate. When mine was changed, Holdcroft found that mine had an LUK clutch and my flywheel was like new. Seeing as I got the car on 28k, it must have had it replaced before that.

And I'm not the only one, on the old forum there were a fair few with low mileage cars needing clutches on standard map.

My issue was that they jumped ship to the i-DTEC engine; probably due to the Euro emission laws. Which is fair enough; but HUK seem to have close ranks on borderline design issues as a result of the recession and left owners to foot the bill. Hasn't put me off buying another Honda; but sure as hell made me make the most of my 7th Gen before splashing out on another. Will cost HUK maybe £15K - and I certainly won't be the only one.

Not at all mate. When mine was changed, Holdcroft found that mine had an LUK clutch and my flywheel was like new. Seeing as I got the car on 28k, it must have had it replaced before that.

And I'm not the only one, on the old forum there were a fair few with low mileage cars needing clutches on standard map.

Thats just shocking if im honest, oh well at least the DMF is a good 'un

Thats just shocking if im honest, oh well at least the DMF is a good 'un

That's just it mate, they said it looks like the DMF had been changed too!!

What possible reason could there be for changing a clutch and DMF before 28k miles God only knows.

mine not been changed(as far as in know)honda owned car before me so checked service history and reciepts(but dont know if you would be mentioned if honda owned it) car on 77'000 now....hope it doent need changing soon( fingers crossed) :rolleyes: p.s no remap as of yet...

Pre-facelift saloon. Std map. 148k miles. Car bought second hand, so believe it is on the original clutch. 60% Motorway/dual carriageway. 30% A-road, B-road. 10% town and city driving. Spends most of its time in 5th gear where possible.