What's new

Xcarlink or Grom

AARON

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Accord ADAS
Seeing as my HFT module is faulty and I am badly in need of a hands free device I am trying to decide which of the above to purchase. I do play the occasional tunes from my phone, but will load a playlist onto a memory stick which will stay in the car. I've noticed that Grom has an Android device, has anyone got any experience with this product. I'm trying to source another HFT module, but need something in the interval. Thanks for your comments in advance.

I have the GROM Android kit with Bluetooth dongle and it works well. Initially I was connecting via cable for audio but having tested the Bluetooth audio playback it's brilliant, no difference in quality for me so have stuck with it.

As for the Bluetooth vs Honda HFT I actually prefer the GROM system also (although I am basing comparisons vs the HFT in my Civic). One problem I could never get around with the Honda HFT system is having to switch my phone audio to Bluetooth manually on my handset when a call connects (dialling out) as it always reverts to handset/speaker once a call connects which is a huge pain. Receiving call is always fine however. With the GROM you hear the whole call process from the ringing to the call itself without having to manually switch anything.

Quince

I got a Bluetooth unit from eBay, £54 from china, plugs into CD changer port, also had usb
Seems to work OK on both usb and Bluetooth not had any issues of yet
Fast forward to answer call rewind to end a call
Have to set usb up with six folders with up to 99 songs in each, this along could be overkill, try remembering where what song is where lol
Could be up for grabs son as looking at firing a parrot ansteriod mini next week

The item number is1 11573311861
Only had it fitted a couple of weeks it works fine (so far)

That on not tried to be honest, only used usb stick with music and Bluetooth. Could try tomorrow and let you know

That would be fantastic if you could mate. It's the only reason I've been looking at the xcarlink

Hi
Plugged in on short trip out today and yes it did charge although only 2% in about 5 mins or so

May be avaliable son as having new hu fitted next week

Hey darlog1, what headunit did you have fitted with that Chinese unit? My car has the full Nav unit with integrated changer and a lot of these units claim not to work with that version.

Really wanting to try and retain steering wheel controls but I get the feeling im's going to end up with the GROM Aux only adapter and some Bluetooth 4.0 to Aux jobbie hooked into it for best audio quality off the phone.

Edit: Ignore the car in my profile, changed to an 04 2.4 Exec Saloon the other month.

Hi

it plugs into the cd port of the standard unit, works with both bluetooth and usb

I have however now swapped this for the parrot asteroid mini, which i find much better, the added bonus of track names, album directories etc just make it a bit user friendly

I've got a basic grom audio aux adapter which I use to listen to music and make calls. I think it's actually better than the Nokia Bluetooth kit I also have installed for making calls. My phone is set up for voice commands.So I can skip tracks and make calls hands free.

I've gone for the basic GROM Aux Adaptor kit http://tinyurl.com/oxfemd9 for now, once I've tested it I wil likely purchase a BT 4.0 to Aux with AptX http://tinyurl.com/qxgvssw so that I can wireless stream off the phone in pretty much full quality (I have a load of Flac's on there) and get a 12V to USB http://tinyurl.com/o2eakn4 to hide it all neatly behind the console. Long term I may ditch the dongle in favour of some form or Raspberry Pi type thing with full touch screen and an external DAC to feed straight into the aux.