What's new

Slipping clutch

Ulrih

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi all. I am a owner of 08 Accord I-dtec. Last year in July during service at Honda garage, I've been told, that my clutch starts slipping and that I should replace it asap before DMF get damaged. I had it done by my trusted mechanic (as it was way cheaper that at Honda). All was perfect till yesterday. As I was going uphill and accelerated on 4th gear my clutch slipped again. Is it possible that it can go so quickly? I had many cars in the past and I've never had to change a clutch before. When I had clutch replaced last year, my mechanic said that it didn't looked that bad and it should been good for at least another 20k miles. The only thing I can think of is that my new clutch can't handle a higher power output. Last year in October, I had DFP removed and stage 1 remapped. Any thoughts guys? Any possible cause? And if its due to power increase, is there any clutch upgrade that I can have done?

Have a good look around the forum buddy , these are self adjusting and may just be this.... Many members have a minor clutch slip , myself included on a previous car with only 32k and it never happened again .

Who mapped it? I've never seen a slipping clutch on one of these yet.. Could be torque limiters have been breached

I've read of a few people not taking their car to Honda for a new clutch only to find it slip shortly after. Honda have a pre tension tool for the clutch apparently. It could be that?

Hi. Thanks for quick reply. Fahad it was done in Avon Tuning near Bristol.

I would speak to them and ask if they can revert it to stock but keep the DPF off. The damage may already be done though

Actually I've just verified who they are, they're a quality tuner mate so I doubt it's an issue with the map.. The torque limiters are set within the ecu maps. A lot of tuners don't understand what they're looking at so tend to try and max everything out and push them too hard which can cause damage to drivetrain.

So the clutch itself might be still ok and pressure plate not set correctly? Can that still be adjusted?

It's a gearbox off job and by that time you might aswell replace clutch

The engine warning light came on today after I floored the accelerator in third gear. Actually it wasn't me it was someone who had come to buy the Tourer and he was checking if the clutch would slip (he wants to tow a caravan). He thought he detected a slight slippage. My local Indy garage was open today and he plugged in the diagnostic ECM Malfunction (I didn't make a note of the fault code). He cancelled it but later in the test drive the same thing happened again in 3rd gear. Now it's in limp mode.
I, too, have had a remap by Quantum Tuning "quantum blue" version. The potential buyer said he felt the revs go up but the power tail off just before the engine warning light pinged.
He had driven a long way to buy it and was as gutted as I am. I have never come across it before. I also don't drive like that so perhaps it has always been just waiting to happen.
I could get the remap returned to factory settings - would that help?

Sorry I don't understand. Your clutch is slipping or your car is in limp mode? Or is it both? What's the error code?

Hi Fahad, sorry I wasn't clear. The car is in limp mode. It occurred when a potential buyer floored the accelerator in 3rd. He said that he felt the clutch slip just before the engine warning light came on. I don't know what the error code is, but I will get someone to look at it tomorrow. I intend to return the ECU to factory default setting as I think that the remap might be the cause of over-torqueing the clutch.

John I notice from your profile that you have an idtec. You need to have the errors read and then report back. Has the DPF also been removed?

Hello Fahad
The fault code is P061B ENGINE CONTROL MODULE INTERNAL CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION.

I am taking the car tonight to have the remap reversed to factory settings. I just hope that as I drive it back the fault doesn't happen again. I'll be gutted if it does.

I will report again tonight. As for DPF removal I don't know. I certainly haven't had it removed, but maybe the previous owner did it. Seems unlikely, as they would probably have had a remap as well.

Never seen that error before.. How long has the car been tuned?

Update. Error code P061B. Internal Control Module Torque Calc Performance. This supports my theory that the hard acceleration caused the fault which was aggravated by the remap.

Got this information from the engineer tonight when I had the remap returned to original setting. He said he would take it up with Quantum Tuning.

I have not yet had an opportunity to accelerate hard to see if the problem recurs.

Tuned tons of these, never seen this issue. Sounds like a bad map I'm afraid.

Back on the original map and I can hardly tell the difference. Mileage seems better, if anything. I think I wasted my money having a remap and I wish I hadn't bothered as it has lost me a potential buyer when it came to sell the car! Putting it back to default settings has been inconvenient, too.

Begs the question what did you pay for in the first place? Tuning these properly is not within the capability of most tuners.

(Id like to note my mk8 accord is remaped to 198BHP, dpf and egr removal)

take my advice on this, i suffered this problem for a long time, at 100,000 my 2009 esgt mk8 accord started to slip,

i had a mechanic thats worked on all my other cars without ever an issue,
put in new cluch,

still sliped
he then put in a new dual mass flywheel (900 quid)

car still slipped

brought it back to them, they dismantled and rebuolt,

still, yes still it slipped.

so i went to another mechanic who i was advised as an expert,
he dismantled it, put it all back together,

still slipped

i drove for 2 months thinking i was ****ed.

long story short, i spoke to a man who worked with honda, he said they have a special adjustment tool and that only they at honda have it, and 9 times out of 10 the similar tools dont work
(yes i know, everyone says this is garbage yadah yadah yadah)

so i whent to honda directly, they disamnteled it, rebuilt it, readjusted it.

car drove fine.
go to honda and have it done, before you end up in a money pit like i did.

i told my brother (who also drives an mk8 accord) about this but he was so sure that his mechanic could do it, so he didn't listen,

what happened?

you guessed it!

his clutch slipped....
ANDDDDD F**K I LOVED TELLING HIM (i told you so)

He then brought his to Honda and volla ! problem solved!

whatever it is with these new accords they need honda.
hope this helps