What's new

Oil level rising?

I was thinking that it would be apparent if the housing had been taken off recently, anyone doing so would also wipe the housing ?
(i.e. if the housing looks dirty and/or dusty then it may not have been removed so there may not be a new filter inside.)

Jamie also says that the oil is as far over the high mark as the distance between the low and high, which is more than "a few mm over maximum" ?

freddofrog said:
...Jamie also says that the oil is as far over the high mark as the distance between the low and high, which is more than "a few mm over maximum" ?
But that was with the car parked on a slope.

Maybe we could kick off another debate about how to be sure when your car is on level ground? I recall talk of spirit levels and lengths of batten...

Jon_G said:

Maybe we could kick off another debate about how to be sure when your car is on level ground? I recall talk of spirit levels and lengths of batten...
read #26 Jon

keep up :p

I just found this for the i-DTEC (N22B) engine

---------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Oil Level Check

1. Park the vehicle on level ground, and start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm with no load (in Neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then turn off the engine, and wait approximately 3 minutes.

2. Remove the dipstick, and wipe off the dipstick, then reinstall the dipstick.

3. Remove the dipstick, and check the engine oil level. It should be between the upper mark and lower mark

4. If the engine oil level is near or below the lower mark, add engine oil to bring it between the upper and lower marks.

So on the i-DTEC the level should be checked while oil is still in the galleries etc.

I've not found anything for checking oil level on the i-CDTi (N22A)

edit:
identical procedure for the K24Z , and similarly no procedure for K24A.

So it looks like the oil level on these N series and K series engines should be checked with engine hot.

freddofrog said:
I read somewhere, possibly in the ESM (Electronic Service Manual) that overfilling can damage the engine.
Its those kind of things Ive read that makes me uncomfortable driving it with what seems like a lot of excess oil.

Jon_G said:
It would have to be very over-filled to cause concern. A few mm over maximum when parked on flat ground is meaningless. You will not be able to tell if the filter cartridge has been replaced.

Disturbing that the garage came out with misleading nonsense to cover their mistake in over-filling your oil (whether deliberate or through ignorance).
Yep - as far over the maximum mark as the distance between the maximum and minimum holes on the dipstick.

I went to the garage this morning and told the mechanic there is no DPF...he said "theres no dpf hmmmmm I'll get the computer to tell me what amount should go in and re fill it again from scratch"
I thought surely thats what hes already done so said "maybe you can just drain some?" he told me he'd rather re fill it again but no time today come back on Wednesday.

Jon_G said:

It was on a very very slight slope, I checked again with the car parking the opposite way around and then later on a very flat surface. All 3 checks showed the same level on the dipstick...no spirit level required lol

freddofrog said:
I just found this for the i-DTEC (N22B) engine

Engine Oil Level Check

1. Park the vehicle on level ground, and start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm with no load (in Neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then turn off the engine, and wait approximately 3 minutes.

2. Remove the dipstick, and wipe off the dipstick, then reinstall the dipstick.

3. Remove the dipstick, and check the engine oil level. It should be between the upper mark and lower mark

4. If the engine oil level is near or below the lower mark, add engine oil to bring it between the upper and lower marks.

So on the i-DTEC the level should be checked while oil is still in the galleries etc.

I've not found anything for checking oil level on the i-CDTi (N22A)

edit:
identical procedure for the K24Z , and similarly no procedure for K24A.

So it looks like the oil level on these N series and K series engines should be checked with engine hot.
Interesting freddofrog...

I've checked on a cold engine and warm engine twice (once after 1 hour being parked and once after 2 hours being parked)...but not exactly like this one says.

I cant think of any reason except for excess oil that it would be so far over the maximum hole on the dipstick...but then I dont know much about mechanics

I dont have a jack or axle stands to do it myself so tomorrow my friend, a manager at a Kwik Fit is going to have a look/possibly drain it.

So this is a 7th gen Accord. If so then no dpf.

From my own experience and owning my accord for 8 years it always showed more oil when warm which was due to thermal expansion.

I suspect your garage has over filled the oil.

Have you had the excess oil removed?

The volumetric thermal expansion of oil between 20C and 80C = 4% which you won't notice on a dipstick

The level on the dipstick should be lower when the engine has reached operating temperature and just been switched off, than when cold. The reason is that oil is still up in the galleries (depending on engine, as much as half a litre) and has not had time to drain back into the sump. The Honda ESM says to leave it for "approximately 3 minutes" after switching off from operating temperature, this will allow a lot (but not all) of the oil to drain back into the sump. But, note that in #34 it's really to check that the oil is not below the low mark (while the engine would be running). However IMO it's also relevant to the high mark, because if it's still over the high mark 3 minutes after switch-off then there is definitely too much oil.

One of the reasons a high oil level is bad is the sump oil level when running can be high enough for it to be hit by the crank webs as they rotate and this can create foam in the oil and air bubbles are not very good at lubricating !!

I suspect your garage has over filled the oil.

Have you had the excess oil removed?

I suspect so too! - pretty obvious it seems now.

It will be drained back down to the right amount tomorrow morning by a friend :)

Grayedout said:
One of the reasons a high oil level is bad is the sump oil level when running can be high enough for it to be hit by the crank webs as they rotate and this can create foam in the oil and air bubbles are not very good at lubricating !!
:( :( :( :( :( hopefully no damage has been done to the car :unsure:

freddofrog said:
Before draining, and for comparison anyway, try the procedure in #34.
Did that and the level was lower than on a cold engine reading but still above the max mark...so left it a few more mins and then drained about 1litre. It's now showing at the max mark :)
One less thing to have to worry about.. ;)

Thanks for all the help and advice!! Much appreciated everyone.